1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

edited, double post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

@zissou thanks for asking the question I was wondering that myself just the other day. I heard the Cheaney's have good arch support. Zippy are you TTS 11D and wear 10.5 barrie? seems some folks wear TTS barrie, but not many. thanks for the info, much appreciated

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I wear a 7.5e in the Barrie and had to size up to an 8.0e on the unlined chukka on the Leydon last and I definitely needed every bit of the extra width that you get with an "E" (on the Barrie, I can survive with a "d" width if that's all that available). From what I've seen on here, the general consensus is that the Leydon is one of the slimmer lasts that Alden uses.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I am.

5. kjart

kjart Active Member

Thanks for the info - always looking to add more info to help solve sizing. I have a feeling that 10.5D trubalance might actually work for me since it looks more generous in the middle which was the problem area in 10.5D barrie (I had plenty of room in the toebox). To expand briefly on others:

-AE 10.5EEE on 511 (Dalton), 65 blucher and 201 First Aves. First aves are most geneours, Daltons least (more of a glove fit that is tight by end of the day - still quite good)
    -11 on 2030 is tight, but doable. Slightly on the long side, but I need the width. 11 1035 was too long, 10.5 would probably work.
    -Carmina detroit 10 EEE had to be returned due to tightness in the midfoot - felt like 10.5D barrie on my foot, but if your width is needed in the toebox I imagine it would fit quite well

I wish I could, but I'm in Canada and there are few enough Alden stockists up here, and none that carry anything beyond D widths (to my knowledge).

Thanks to you both for your input!

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Couple of pics while cleaning up the Ravello LWB this afternoon. Left shoe finished. Used Saphir cordovan cream so got a bit of darkening on the vamp. Typically goes away when full dry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  7. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Fantastic shade, love the Ravello LWB!

8. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Innsbruck LWBs x Epaulet. Only shoe I brought on a week long vacation. Weather was variable, rainy at times, both warm and cool, nothing too dressy needed. Very versatile shoe
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've tried a 10D Barrie but it's too tight in the toes so I go with 10.5D Barrie. It works well for me with med to thick socks. I take 11D in Plaza, Aberdeen, 10.5 in Hampton.
    Most UK lasts I take 9.5UK with the exception of Tricker's 4444 in 9Uk.

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Have a great trip to one of my favorite cities.

921 F Street is a horrible place... Looks like they took pretty good care of you there! I love all of the Alden retailers, but Kathy is pretty hard to beat.

Looking very sharp in your King Plaza Wingtips. What are the boots just sitting there on the floor ignored?

Those are some nice looking Chukkas. The Unlined Suede Chukkas are made on the Leydon Last and its a narrower Last. They are unlined, so anything protruding into them will be acammodated by the suede (and thus bulge out). I personally, don't think that they will change much with wear, but I could be wrong... Suede does tend to stretch with wear...

-Mike

11. mdubs

Speaking of Unlined Suede, probably my most commonly worn, but least posted... My Snuff Suede LHSes. I have been meaning to clean their edges for quite a while, I guess I should do it while off this week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  12. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I am 11.5D barrie/TB/plaza. 11.5D leydon was too tight in the toes. Im an 11.5E in AE 5 and 11.5D in AE 7. Yep, sizing is a pain.

13. mdubs

Your Ravello Gunboats are looking mighty fine. Your left shoe has a nice shine on them. Keep it up!

-Mike

14. onoudidntgf

I don't think they're too long on me? I wear an 8D in the Barrie last so I just sized up the width. Do you think I should try a size smaller?

15. onoudidntgf

They're not too long on you?

16. onoudidntgf

Quote: Thanks! You think I should stick with the size I got or should I size up/down?

17. mdubs

Are they comfortable? If they are comfortable, stick with them. If they hurt at all don't keep them. If its just slightly snug, that should loosen up a pidge over time.

-Mike

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, wear only in good health

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear only in good health, works very well with suit