1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

As good as it gets when you talk about Alden captoe shoes.[​IMG]

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Well if you need to off load some shoes....I'm your huckleberry

3. parkman24

parkman24 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

Perhaps this is a unique situation for me but... Do you all find the standard shoe box that comes with your Alden shoes to be too small to put the shoes in? I've acquired three Alden shoes in the past couple of months, which all fit great. However, the one small gripe I have is that the boxes seem to be too small for both shoes to go inside of it. I've tried to reposition them constantly, but the shoe box always seems to warp.

Any input?

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    thank you

5. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    king st
    argyles otc

2 people like this.
  6. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

I concur, I think the length is fine but it's a bit too narrow for laced shoes (fine for moccasins). I also find Alden's shoe box a bit flimsy.

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

I cant use any alden boxes, especially as they are 11.5-12 sized shoes trying to go in them. And boots.. forget about it. The boxes do more harm while being shipped to the retailer, and then consumer.

I just store the boxes away and keep the shoes out on shelves etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Alden produces some of the best iconic shell makeups, but the company really lacks in the "shoe box" offering. I can't think of any shoemaker that has an inferior shoe box than Alden. Maybe it's something they don't really care about. The boxes hardly fit the shoes; the material is very thin, which causes the box to warp and deteriorate very quickly.

9. kwhitelaw

An Alden boot box the size of the EG Galway box would be perfect. I'd honestly buy empty boxes and swap all my alden boot boxes out for them if they were offered, just to satisfy my OCD lol

10. z8k1n

z8k1n Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Our pioneering Uncle as we know has the most killer collection but the glassy condition+shade/patina+make up put these close to atop the list.

11. StrangeJeremy

StrangeJeremy Well-Known Member

I came here to post about our Alden trunk show this Saturday, but this is actually more interesting. I've ruined like half our Alden boxes in the few weeks they've been in the shop from showing and repacking. I'm going to ask and see what's up - I'm guessing they'd rather put that $5 into the shoes.

Anyway, Gus beat me to the punch: We're having an Alden trunk show, Saturday. Free booze, fit ya' shoes. If you're in the bay area and curious about how Aldens fit, or which last you should be on, please swing by and visit us.

More details over in our thread.

1 person likes this.
  12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Hey @StrangeJeremy what is the story on these boots? I saw them today in your store. They seemed to have a waxed or oiled finished leather? Cool look.

[​IMG]

13. mcarthur

nephew,
    thank you

14. kwhitelaw

looks like the indy 404 kudu

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I also store my shoes on shelf without a box. However those out of rotation can fit in the box but without the shoe bags. And barely

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  16. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My final trip of the year again, so the longwings... again. :)

5 people like this.
  17. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I've ranted about the Alden boxes before, so I won't do it again, but I will say that most of my pairs (which are 8D or 8.5D) do fit into their boxes, but barely so. A few pairs, when laced and with trees inserted, don't quite fit right without pushing the side of the box out a bit.

There is a bit of art to getting them into the box to fit perfectly, too. You have to put one shoe in in a certain orientation ("inside" part of the shoe toward the bottom of the box, heel at the front of the box), and then the other one is put in in the opposite way ("inside" part of shoe toward the top of the box, heel at the back of the box). When I first went to Alden shoes from AE and Carmina (whose boxes are much sturdier and larger), I would just put the Aldens in the box however I happened to be holding them, and the box never closed right. Eventually I figured out that there is a very specific way they have to be boxed. All part of the fun, I guess.

1 person likes this.
  18. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

Full strap - Maiden Voyage
    Aberdeen last - Maiden Voyage

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Lovely.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  20. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage today for these as well. #8 longwings with antique edges from the Bureau Belfast.

11 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.