***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

you could do an indy with the right tweed suit

2. erbs

erbs Senior member

#8 shell would look pretty badass with that purple Ervell tweed suit.

3. Racove

Racove Senior member

glad to see ya'll agree on the indy. just wishful thinking.

any practical considerations regarding #8 shell captoe bluchers vs. captoe boots? might seem like a silly question, but i want to consider all angles. both could work for a suit or jeans, no? which is worse, boots in summer or shoes in winter? might topy them too.

4. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

^ That is a tough question and I have thought about it before since I wanted to choose between the captoe blucher and captoe boots in black (I actually own both now). I think the main difference is that the welt on the bluchers are much closer to the leather giving the shoes a much more dressier appearance. The welt on Alden boots are generally wider and gives the boots a more rugged appearance, but could still work with suits that are thick in material or possible slim suits as there'd be a nice contrast between the slimness of the clothes and the wideness of the footwear.

Also it depends on where you work, if you work in a very traditional place where the average age is 40+, I'd stick with the bluchers as they would look great but not draw any unneeded attention. But if you are more fashion forward and can get away with it. I'd go for the boots, and I would think they are more suited for fall/winter. For dress boots I would also recommend the Plaza last as it is more refined than the Grant Last (which looks more militaryish).

I hope that helps in a little bit at least.

5. fashunhor

fashunhor Senior member

6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the

Alden Shoes - Plain Toe Flex Boot II

and

Alden Roy Boot

Is the only difference the crepe sole on the Roys? If so I wish the Roys came in black. I think I might have to get the Plain Toe IIs.

why dont you like the crepe sole

7. robin

robin Senior member

Is the only difference the crepe sole on the Roys? If so I wish the Roys came in black. I think I might have to get the Plain Toe IIs.
    The leather on the flex welt boots is much softer (iirc, called "tumbled lady calf" or something). The leather on the Roy boots will be thicker and sturdy.

8. fashunhor

fashunhor Senior member

why dont you like the crepe sole

I am not against it. I have a pair of Clarks that are crepe and they wear out faster than leather or rubber sole. But I have already heard that the Alden crepes wear well. I also like the idea of a crepe for comfort but if I am paying ~$500 for boots, I want them to last obviously.

That is why I am trying to compare the Flex Toe II with the Roy. I wish the Roys came in black but since they don't I am thinking of getting the Flex Toe II if they are the same boot.

9. fashunhor

fashunhor Senior member

The leather on the flex welt boots is much softer (iirc, called "tumbled lady calf" or something). The leather on the Roy boots will be thicker and sturdy.

Does this difference in leather make much of a difference overall or is it just a quality appreciated by those particular about their leather?

10. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I am not against it. I have a pair of Clarks that are crepe and they wear out faster than leather or rubber sole. But I have already heard that the Alden crepes wear well. I also like the idea of a crepe for comfort but if I am paying ~$500 for boots, I want them to last obviously.

That is why I am trying to compare the Flex Toe II with the Roy. I wish the Roys came in black but since they don't I am thinking of getting the Flex Toe II if they are the same boot.

The Alden crepe sole is in an entirely different league than Clarks. It's much tougher and stiffer. No worries - you'll definitely get a lot of wear out if it.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

12. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

^ yeah those are sweet. they are a future buy for sure.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

not feelin those

14. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I wonder how would the alden unlined chukkas work with their crepe sole instead of the flex welt soul?

15. JonB27

JonB27 Senior member

I bought those and returned them, wasn't feeling them when I saw them on my feet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.