1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks. I definitely prefer the aesthetics of the Barrie last over the Grant. The question is, do I get the Alden SF version, sacrificing the exposed eyelets, or do I go with the Shoe Mart version, sacrificing the Barrie last? You would think someone would make this makeup with both of those features, no?

2. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Unionmade has the exact make up you are looking for a while ago. Not sure if they are going to remake it though.

http://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-kirkwood-cordovan-cap-toe-boot-in-color-8-3962hc/

3. mosy

mosy Senior member

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Have you ever seen the two lasts in person? I have Cigar cap toes on Barrie and Ravello cap toes on Grant and I can honestly tell you the difference is negligible from an aesthetic standpoint. Barrie is marginally rounder but it's not like we're talking Plaza or Aberdeen here.

5. mosy

mosy Senior member

Interesting. I have not seen Grant in person, only Barrie. I really like the rounder Barrie toe. Based on online photos I've been assuming that there is a noticeable difference in the toe between these two lasts. Maybe you are right though. I guess I should order and at least decide after viewing in person.

6. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

So I had this clever plan to unload several pairs of Allen Edmonds calfskin shoes that never make it into my rotation in favor of Alden Shell. This is the unintended consequence...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

That's why I have usually included shoe trees with sales. Makes the buyer happy and I don't end up with tons of mediocre AE trees.

3 people like this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

10. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Trees are trees to me unless you are talking bespoke. If they smell good and restore the original form to the shoes, I'm a buyer...

11. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Check out previous photos by me under my profile, I've posted several sets recently. I have 2 makeups in reverse, and one in smooth. 2 are boots, one is a shoe. Super tough wearing, virtually no upkeep to be had with them, extremely good in foul weather.

I like the smell, it's very unique.

1 person likes this.
  12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    this king wt boot is on the plaza last and this boot was mto

13. mosy

mosy Senior member

hey thanks. they do look quite similar, at least in these photos. I wonder if on a smaller foot the difference would be more noticeable. My TTS size is 9D. If the toe on a shoe or boot is a bit narrow it makes the whole shoe or boot look smallish. I don't have this issue with Barrie lasted shoes bec of the wider toe...
    Nevertheless maybe I will give the grant a try...

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew looking very good

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

hey thanks. they do look quite similar, at least in these photos. I wonder if on a smaller foot the difference would be more noticeable. My TTS size is 9D. If the toe on a shoe or boot is a bit narrow it makes the whole shoe or boot look smallish. I don't have this issue with Barrie lasted shoes bec of the wider toe...
    Nevertheless maybe I will give the grant a try...

To me that is a large enough difference...though I am wondering if it is the reverse welt enhancing it more. Do they make a grant boot with a reverse/split welt?

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

18. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Uncle, not sure if there's a typo but that doesn't look plaza to me, the toe is not really chiseled in your king wt boot. May be because of the angle?

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    they are plaza

20. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Thank you for the clarification, Sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.