• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tifosi, you have good taste. That's my favorite alden (I have), there's a five way tie for unicorn Aldens I'd love to find in my size.
Whiskey Wednesday
Awesome combo donl. Did you see the white suede lhs on eBay? I thought of you.
Alden and leather soul threw in a little extra when my new ultimate indys came today
Congratulations, you are living the dream.

aldenwear

Reaction score
Whiskey Wednesday

I deployed that very same whiskey shoe today as well. I paired it with a mundange kakhi pants, not nearly as unique as you.

I also observed Whiskey Tuesday when I wore whiskey NSTs.

A Whiskey Week for me.

gosheik

Reaction score
Thanks, gents. My first impressions are that these are very nice boots. Can't believe how soft and supple the suede is, especially around the ankles--on the complete opposite end of the spectrum when compared to shell. As for the last, it really feels and even looks (upon wear) more like a barrie to me, even though it's pretty clear that it's on the TB (given the "foot balance" heel and the less tapered edge on one side). For those who are averse to the "blobbiness" of the TB, I would say that concern is diminished here.

If you like the style, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on these, as the quality, comfort, and looks are outstanding.

Sole,and heel makes me think it's TB , but if you provide the#'s inside the shoe i'm sure some of the Alden Gurus can get that info directly from Alldem,

Thanks,

Let de-coding begin!
ca0dab87618a6073112c3343d36530ea.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that they were:

Made in 2014 and completed crudely around May, they are pair #6 on order number 20X027 and that they have Speed Hooks (denoted by the H at the end of the model number). The D is an unusual thing for the model number to start with, but not mind boggling as I have a pair or two with the model number starting with D, such as the Color 2 LWBs. All my decoder ring tells me. Sorry if you were hoping for more!!!

-Dubs

gosheik

Reaction score

All I can tell you is that they were:

Made in 2014 and completed crudely around May, they are pair #6 on order number 20X027 and that they have Speed Hooks (denoted by the H at the end of the model number). The D is an unusual thing for the model number to start with, but not mind boggling as I have a pair or two with the model number starting with D, such as the Color 2 LWBs. All my decoder ring tells me. Sorry if you were hoping for more!!!

-Dubs

Nice, thanks Mike! All those Cracker Jack purchases finally paid off :)

It would seem, then, that last/sole info is not to be found in the number markings. Instead, one must go to Alden to inquire about the details behind a specific "order number."

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Nice, thanks Mike! All those Cracker Jack purchases finally paid off :)

It would seem, then, that last/sole info is not to be found in the number markings. Instead, one must go to Alden to inquire about the details behind a specific "order number."

Sometimes the sole is mentioned in the model number. Specifically the Commando sole will add a C to the end of the model number and the Flex-Welt adds an F.... So the 4060 is the standard Color 8 Grant Lasted Cap Toe boot on the Double Leather Sole and with all eyelets and the 4060HC is the same but with Speed Hooks and the Commando Sole...

But the last, not to my knowledge unless I am totally overlooking a trend, like 4's are Grant lasted, but that isn't the case to the best of my knowledge....

-Mike

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi, you have good taste.
That's my favorite alden (I have), there's a five way tie for unicorn Aldens I'd love to find in my size.

Thanks, DV. Sorry for not giving you photo cred., but I assumed everyone here already knew.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Morning, Gents. Decided today was a King NST day. I am convinced the NST was meant for the Aberdeen last above all others...
Agreed! Lookin' good, BK.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morning, Gents. Decided today was a King NST day. I am convinced the NST was meant for the Aberdeen last above all others...
I agree, though I used to feel differently (preferred NST shoes/boots on barrie). I think plaza is a contender for NST boots.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to pick a "grail" or favorite Alden pair, it would be those cigar blucher captoes that Mike has. I think that Mac also has a pair.

Until then, these are a good substitute (#8 BB version):

what whale

Reaction score
Quick sizing poll: I know the test for a proper fitting boot/shoe is the widest part of one's foot being in the widest part of the shoe. I think I've achieved that, but curious, particularly on a Barrie lasted shoe, how much room do you guys have in the toe-box? As in, how much room is there between your longest toe and the end of the shoe?

Appreciate any and all replies.

ww

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick sizing poll: I know the test for a proper fitting boot/shoe is the widest part of one's foot being in the widest part of the shoe. I think I've achieved that, but curious, particularly on a Barrie lasted shoe, how much room do you guys have in the toe-box? As in, how much room is there between your longest toe and the end of the shoe?

ww
There are more than 2 criteria to see if a shoe fits.
Brannock uses 3, but the shortcoming is with volume and instep height.
http://brannock.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/brannock/instructions.html

lemmy127

Reaction score

ww

There's not a correct amount. It's based on your own feet. Like bkotsko linked, it varies due to the different measurements. My heel-to-toe Brannock size is about 12.6, my heel-to-instep is 13, and my width is C. I have 12D Barrie shoes and boots that fit fantastically and have about a thumb width of space. I have 13D AEs in their 5-last, and the amount of space is closer to a thumb width and a half, but it's the right size for my instep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads