1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I'm telling you its those boot Gnomes Man...Don't tell me they don't exist...I have seen them...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah while its easily dismissed by some it's easy to notice the difference in a side by side comparison of the toe box. Both shell, both Barrie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

guess which one has the narrower fitting toebox?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh no you didn't....

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You really need to let it go.

1 person likes this.
  5. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

FWIW my PTB on Barrie seem to be roomier. I think this phenomenon is reality due to the blucher flaps being sewn on higher than the LWB....

6. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

so is kevin durant gonna make it through this season?

1 person likes this.
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Don't let him drop past 5

1 person likes this.
  8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

The unlined Dover has a totally different toe shape due to the lack of lining in the forepart of the shoe. I'm not surprised that it fits differently. That one seems like a no brainer.

You really need to contribute something to the discussion, otherwise don't post in it.

What are your experiences regarding sizing of the PCT Boot?

I have not noticed a difference between my PTBs and my LWBs.

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

You're so close to 20,000 posts. Make it count.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Has your fighting about being right been a useful contribution? You have taken this on as some sort of mission and I'm not sure why you care so much...hence my comment to lighten up Francis.

Here's my contribution. I'm not telling you what size they are as I'm hoping this will be the last post on PCT sizing (for a week or so).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is when they were shiny and new...still not getting a size recommendation out of me.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

My goodness JS01 can barely recognize the guy. This guy went from okay dude to Internet troll. Can we get someone with a John Wilkes Booth avatar to take him out?

2 people like this.
  12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

It's not a mission, and I'm not trying to fight with anyone. I just wanted to hear people's experiences on the matter, as up until now I've heard the "PCT boot is TTS" line repeated around here and r/gyw like some sort of mantra, though I suspect that it's just one instance of different patterns fitting people differently, as is an inherent thing with all shoes and across all makers.

That's why I reached out to Alden about it - because I wanted find out what the truth is, and to confirm that the boot does not get any special treatment from Alden.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Sorry, I just felt like hiding under a bridge for the day.

Back to scheduled programming now.

*hugs to all*

14. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Maybe we should try to get things back on track? Tifosi, how bout those Ravello NSTs?

3 people like this.
  15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Not the Ravello NST! I emailed Ed Z. about getting on the wait list for those and he never got back to me. I guess that's the universe telling me that I'll never get them.

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Also - those boots are fantastically beautiful. What did you do to get that level of shine on them when they were new? VSC?

Mine definitely did not come out of the box looking like that.

17. mosy

mosy Senior member

OK sorry to bring back this discussion. However, I thought this comparison would be interesting to some. Here is the JCrew cadet blucher in shell on the Barrie last:
    [​IMG]and here is the Jcrew PCT boot in shell, also on the Barrie last:
    [​IMG]
    Now, it is obvious that the toe box and the vamp area on the blucher is roomier than then on the boot. The question is why. I am not suggesting that there is a conspiracy, and that Alden secretly makes a Barrie Jr last for J crew boots. I'm just demonstrating that there is a clear difference between most Barrie shoes/boots and the Jcrew Barrie boots.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

[​IMG]

Thanks, I was going through a mirror shine everything phase a few years ago. That's a bunch of thin coats of Saphir wax polish. I decided after a short time that they were more suited to a matte finish. I need shoes/boots that travel well and work with SC & trousers during the workday and chinos/denim at night. The ultra shiny finish didn't serve both needs as well so I took it down a notch and haven't added wax in 3 yrs. Now they get conditioned with Bick 4 once or twice a year.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

They look different, which is indeed odd. I wonder if anyone here has both. The profile of the PCT boot reminds me of the Dover profile that @NAMOR posted. Obviously the PCT boot is not unlined, though. I do agree that the photos make them look quite different. However, it could be that the photos are of different size shoes, which could affect how they appear.

I love the way #8 changes over time to be less purple and more red. Very cool.

I also pretty much just use Bick 4 and a brush. If I feel like it needs a shine, I use VSC (and I love the way VSC smells...).

20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

[​IMG]

975 today.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.