1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Thank you for the kind words! The pants are nothing special, JCrew Bowery wool pants. On sale ~$100

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I appreciate the kind words gentlemen. As an enthusiast photographer, I suppose I'm like my aspiring-art-student daughter (on the road visiting schools with her this weekend): She only sees the flaws and things that didn't turn out the way she wanted, even if the finished product looks great to us!

I didn't have great light (very rainy this morning) and didn't want to use a flash, so it is a little more open than I'd like - lose a little too much of the shoe :). But it is fun, and a good reason to bust out my good camera!

Looking forward to wearing the shoes. The boots have to go back to AoM to address a small issue (and they've been very awesome to work with), and then I get to start making them mine. Really looking forward to it!

I have to say that I'd really love to see a makeup of that exact same boot but using the tobacco waxed leather from the LWB. I think that would look really good - not quite as casual as brown CXL (which would also look very good - think I've seen that somewhere) and not quite as dressed as the burnished tan calf (I chose it for the ability to dress it up or down).

I assume it has been done, but a fun sub-thread might be "Makeups you wish Alden would do"

1 person likes this.
  3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    king ct boots
    merino wool argyles otc

2 people like this.
  4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks Shawn. This is the only boot that I own that I can go sockless with (I actually typically wear loafer socks in them). But as they are unlined, they are extremely comfy. I tried it once with another pair of boots and ended up running upstairs before even making it out the door due to the cutting of my ankles...

Esoxm, thank you for the PSA, however, please be advised that these are on the GRANT Last and not the Aberdeen. These are called the High Vamp Loafer and are made by Alden of Madison today, but were once carried by a few other stores such as Alden DC. Just want to make sure that someone does not buy these thinking they are Aberdeen as they will be very disappointed. I would have been all over these but am a 10C on the Grant Loafers.

Reference: https://aldenmadison.com/collection/split-toe-loafer-color-8-shell-cordovan-1030/

R, your King PTBs are looking terrific today. +1 for argyles and shell.

Uncle Mac, you are looking superb in your King CT Boots. Your boots are looking very beautiful and have a terrific shine on them. Your argyles are spot on. :)

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  5. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

[quote name="mdubs" url="/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/117000#post_811040

R, your King PTBs are looking terrific today. +1 for argyles and shell

-Mike
    [/quote]

Thank you for the kind words gents.

6. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I haven't made a classifieds post or anything, but I'm considering selling my NIB whiskey shell cordovan wingtip boots on commando in size 12D. Purchased from 14oz this summer and NIB (tried them on once in my house just to see what the 379X fits like). Looking to sell at cost - but note that "cost" buying from a euro seller is more like Context's prices than any other retailer.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can provide pictures, more photos, etc. Whiskey shell is flawless and gorgeous - I just think I could use the funds towards holes in my shoe wardrobe whereas the whiskey WTs kind of overlap with some other things I own.

7. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

Superb!

8. warenfetisch

warenfetisch Member

Good morning gentlemen,

I apologize for quoting myself and bringing up this older question again. However, I would like to renew my asking for your experiences with the Aberdeen Last.

Is there anyone who owns a Tassel Loafer and a Monk Strap (both Cordovan) and can comment on possible differences of the fit:

-Do both have the same fit?
    -Is one of them running slightly longer or wider?

Help is very much appreciated!

Cheers

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Broke out reverse chamois plain toe boot on crepe.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Timeless

11. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

A little Jcrew snuff chukka for an easy Saturday with the family[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The

12. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

Looking good! Can't wait for my reverse chamois wingtip boot from Yenni in a few months! Do you find that the reverse chamois can take a beating?

1 person likes this.
  13. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Reverse chamois is about as tough as it gets. I'm already committed on several pre-orders, but those boots from Yenni are amazingly tempting.

14. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Absolutely. I wouldn't go wading in a river or anything but they've been drenched in the rain, gotten filthy, kept me dry and cleaned up great. They're my only crepe soled boot and are perfect for spending lots of time on my feet. Maybe my most comfortable boots for that use.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  15. Agravic

Agravic Active Member

Just arrived from Brick + Mortar (Yenni is awesome).
    LWB in Brown Regina Grain

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

I'm in on that preorder as well. Can't wait. Everything I hear leads me to believe that reverse chamois can take quite a beating. Is the estimated delivery date still for Feb?

17. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm excited to receive a package from Yenni once they are ready. I plan to wear them hard, for travel and in rain so I'm glad my assumption on the shoe is backed with your experience!

18. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

Matty, congrats on getting in on the order! I'm not sure of expected delivery date, but hoping for sooner than February!! Can't wait to get them on my feet!

1 person likes this.
  19. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

hi sirs,
    can i get some help on sizing here please?
    I have 2 pair of alden cordovans boots that i have ordered online - one a Barrie in 8D, and another Grant in 9D.

Unfortunately both do not fit me well, upon wearing and walking for a some period of time, i will feel pain in my toes (the 4th and the 5th toe especially, 1st being the big toe). It happens to both my grant and barrie last.

I'm also incapable of trying them at a brick and mortar store as in my country, we do not have a store, and my only option brings me to online stores where im not able to try them out. Sadly, my 2 attemps at estimating the size I should be in the Aldens failed, and for the 3rd i hope i can get some help.

So for my grant in 9D, i will experience my 4th and fifth toe being pushed against the toebox, and thus after wearing for sometime it will cause some discomfort. My big toe have some space inbetween the toe and the tip of the boots , maybe like 0.3cm from what i can feel.

Now i have my eyes on another pair of Grant boots, and at this time, they have the option of the siez 9.5D and 9E.
    But i do not know which combination will give me a better fit and thus i humbly seek you guys opinion.

And if possible, can I get an explaination of how the different width in the sizing differs - like if there is more space in the toebox area or throughout the entire boots it will be wider... etc etc?

20. Guus

Guus Senior member

Interested in the Indy. I wear a D width Wolverine 1k mile boot. Would a D Indy be alright? Will be going a half size down from 9.5 to 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.