1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Cigar captoe boot (Barrie, x AoM) today, on their maiden voyage. Decided to keep them after all (and the cigar captoe aberdeen bluchers, too - oops). Hopefully someday they will look as gorgeous as those Citi captoe bals that Mike posted above, but for now they're quite dark in anything other than direct sunlight.

Denim is the Gustin Oxblood2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

They do look nice, however, for $980 plus $50 shipping they would need to be an absolute GRAIL or unicorn makeup for me. I can vouch that leather_healer is a good seller though as I did buy one of my unicorns from him. :)

3. Don L

Don L Senior member

OM Hampton Cigar SWB

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Wearing my Cigar Ravello PTBs today.
    I know, I know... BK you are complaining about a shell color that is pretty dang hard to get.
    This particular batch gets the Brownvello name.
    I have to be in the DIRECT sunlight to catch any red in them. [​IMG]
    Not that I don't like brown...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    5 people like this.
  5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Can you tell me where you got these? I had been looking for the exact make-up back in the spring and was unable to find a pair.

I'm generally a 7.5. If you are seriously considering letting go of your spot on the pre-order it might be worth checking with Epaulet to see if it's not too late to change sizes in case there is somebody who wants your spot.

Yeah - what @JR Magat said. Cool shoes, and Leather Healer is generally a great seller (especially for Tricker's in my experience) but definitely not $1,030 cool.

6. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

love the Dover style as well

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm OK with a secondary seller doing that (though wish they'd mark deep on the foot where the mark will wear off and not mark the interior of the shoe or similar).

In this particular case, I'm referring for an order directly with JCrew for a brand-new shoe out of their stock that happened to be on sale. My guess is they will not mark/deface a product in that circumstance. If they do, the shoes go back and I'll expect a replacement. Highly doubt it will be necessary.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Fabulous, old friend!

Recently, my favorite pair of dress shoes. A must-have for Alden aficionados!

Color 8 anything with grey trousers is a staple in my wardrobe. Looking great my friend!

Fabulous Dubs! Looking awesome my friend...

Will not spoiler these... beautiful pics! (as are yours @mdubs ) Enjoy often my friend!

Another spectacular addition to a well-rounded collection @Don L ! Enjoy them often my old friend!

Enjoy those beautiful brownvelo PTBs often my friend!

10. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Thanks guys. Yeah. Cigar wouldn't be my first guess on them either. Except, I have their model number. They are from 2001, so they are a much older take on the Dark Brown Shell than we know now.

-Mike

11. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Looking good in your Brownvellos today BK!
    Looking great in your new Cigars. Good to see both feet rocking them today. ;-)
    It sounds like you have a problem similar to me. But they are looking very good. Interesting pair with your Oxbloods. I haven't taken my Oxbloods out for a spin yet.
    Looking good today Ketchup in one of Leffot's finest models. -Mike

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Lots of Dover talk and actually wearing mine today. They are growing on me, though I am still not sure I like them as much as the regular 990 or a 990 with antique edge as JR is looking for.

If nothing I kind of want to keep wearing them to see how these rolls come along. Being unlined they are already starting to roll quite a bit. I feel like once they really get some heavy wear they will bring out a more casual look and then maybe I can justify grabbing the 990 and having both in rotation haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. sazon

sazon Senior member

has anyone here had brass eyelets done on their Aldens from Sublime Goods? Their work looks really nice - just looking for some feedback. Thanks!

14. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

That is one sweet shoe & one sweet jeans currently working on getting them or trying at least. How do you like gustin jeans?

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Apologies in advance for a long post...

OK - so with my exploding Alden collection (not to mention a couple pairs of AE's), I've got some care and feeding questions with the various leathers. I used to own a small company that made a polish and wax system for cars, and this feels a lot like that: a strong combination of process and product. I'm pretty new to the shoe-game though - my approach to polishing shoes has been very simple in terms of products/process. What I own has me asking some questions.

I looked around here for a shoe care thread, but I sorta suck at searching and I've got some fairly specific questions. I don't see the shoe care post on AoC (though it generated some questions, one noted below), and the Alden site itself just has "coming soon..."

For equipment, I've got a couple of good horsehair large shoe brushes, and a bunch of smaller detail brushes/duabers, etc.. I'm using old t-shirts for cloths.

Natty CXL Indys:
    [​IMG]
    I've got some Alden Fine Boot Cream, and a jar of Saphir Reno. Since I stomped around rainy Tokyo for over a week in these (8 wears or so) and wore them a few times before and since, I went ahead and hit them with the AFBC. Maybe I need to spend more time with the brush on these shoes - the leather looks fine but feels slightly rough in places. Does CXL benefit from extra time brushing? I assume it is OK for the welt to get treated with a welt brush and some of the boot creme?

The sole is neocork with a lightly stained edge (antique? looks more coffee to me) - I have some AE Neutral edge dressing. Thoughts?

Burnished Tan Calf Boots: (on the way)
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to keep these somewhat matte in finish, so I was thinking the Saphir Pommadier Cream polish, but I'm concered about color. I haven't seen the boots yet and I think they are more tan than the photo above, but in any case I'd like to avoid enhancing any red tone. The folks at Hanger recommended the Cognac of Pommadier, but that leans red. I could use the neutral, but I noticed on the AoC site somewhere that they specifically noted neutral cream shouldn't be used. Any thoughts on that? I could just get the Alden tan polish, but guessing that is going to be waxy/shiny. I'm prepared to live with that if I need to. Same question here on the edge - some Walnut AE? Neutral dressing?

Waxed Longwings:
    [​IMG]

The is the second recent acquisition of a leather described as "waxed" (the other being AE McTavishes). Saddle soap? Thinking the AE walnut polish will work well on the edges here. Saddle soap is what AE recommends for the McTavshes, which also have a minimally-finished sole: (apologies for the non-Alden pic)
    [​IMG]
    Saddle soap and neutral edge for both?

Snuff Wingtip Boots:
    [​IMG]
    I think I'm ok here with just some of the Saphir suede spray (and maybe Invulner) and a good suede brush I already own. Any other suede tips appreciated. I just wish they'd be here before early Spring...

16. prez

prez Senior member

I love these!

17. gatormd

gatormd Active Member

Anyone have an idea where to get a good color8 belt?

18. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

I purchased mine from Rancourt, but I think they are also available from Ben Silver and Brooks Brothers. I know some on this forum have procured them from Alden, but I'm not sure if those are still available. Good luck and let us know the results of your search!

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Wow those are spectacular and the Hampton last right now is without a doubt my favorite for the Alden wing

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@M635Guy great collection of Aldens and congrats - Not much advice I can give if you are looking for a shine but for me LESS is more - outside of using Nano spray on the suede and Bick 4/Lexol I do virtually nothing but wipe down and brush. My waxy Long branch boots from AE get a little HDLP twice a year only because I use them in the snow and slush and mud, my McTavish I wipe down and brush and may have used some AE leather lotion/Bick 4/Lexol once in 2 years.

Please don't go crazy on these with colored creams and wax's - you have a great casual collection there and maintaining it will be a breeze.

If I had to pick 3 products to use for casual boots and shoes
    Bick 4 (handles 90% of what I need)
    Renovateur (when I need something really cleaned off)
    Nano Spray

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.