1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Nice Comparsion!! Turns out the perforated cap is different as well!

Thanks for sharing!!

2. duff406

duff406 Senior member

These are natty cxl on commando. Made for Leffot, they have a new run in stock now. The commando sole was a must have for me in this boot. Very comfortable so fast.

3. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Very interesting to see these side by side. The original vintage USMC boot is like a combo of these two: no speed-hooks nor side stitching like the TSM one, but the perf cap toe detail and last of the JCrew one.

4. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

TSM version is better and are they in same size?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  5. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Yes, I prefer the grant last version from TSM as well. But I really like the Indy side stitching from Jcrew.

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Yeah - I wish I'd been more educated when I bought my Indy's - I'm pretty sure I would have gone commando over the neocork I bought.

7. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

What don't you like about the neocork? I've never actually seen that sole in person and would really like to understand positives and negatives about it. Thanks!

8. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I posed this exact question a few days back but also got radio silence. Maybe trying Unionmade will be the better option.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Only that it doesn't look quite as nice compared to commando (for me) and I'm guessing they won't do very well in snow/icy stuff. Comfort-wise, they are outstanding. I spent over a week going 10K-12K steps in these things and they were terrific. It was rainy in Tokyo, too, and they always felt sure-footed.

10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Neocork has been great overall, it just lacks lugs for extra traction on certain surfaces. I find both to be extremely comfortable, but would not take my Indies with neocork out in packed down snow or wet grass inclines. That said I have taken neocork soled Indies out on many hikes, and that includes full submersion on river stones with rushing water and have been fortunate enough to not bust my butt yet. I absolutely prefer commando for a boot whenever possible so I don't have to worry about anything. Both of these soles far surpass Dainite in my personal experiences though, which is like walking on ice when on slick/wet surfaces.

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

The problem I have with Commando is that the sole is not very robust.
    The stitching comes undone or the thin rubber can tend to break around the toe.

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

#4 x tsm
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Fantastic!

14. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

+1. Neocork can take a beating. i prefer it to commando, but I rarely see snow.

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

17. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

that sucks. sounds like a bit of a contradiction. I've only recently tried one pair of Alden "commando" soles and they are quite comfortable.

18. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Want. Very much.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That's the worst part about this forum. Seeing things you'll never have.

3 people like this.
  20. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

Agreed. If I have the option between commando and double leather soles, I go with the double leather plus a vibram half sole (topy). I find the durability superior, and the wet traction more than adequate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.