1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Thanks, Mike! I actually followed the "Mike Method" and already reduced them. Not gone, but they're looking better! Wish I owned them from the start!

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Hah! Glad that you were able to get them cleaned up! Just work on them between wearings and they should clear up with time.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Quote: The J Crew boot is a sweet addition to any collection. While I am not a huge fan of the AE Dalton, the Dundee is an excellent chukka. I enjoy my walnut shell dundees frequently. I will at some point acquire the AF18. Welcome to the thread; enjoy your boots often and in great health my new friend!

1 person likes this.
  4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The third eyelet on the dundee makes a world of difference. :nodding:

2 people like this.
  5. ReppTiePrepster

Simplicity of the unlined LHS is tough to beat. Congrats!

Wow! Enjoy those boots often my friend...

No idea, but that is a very underrated monk. Enjoy them; the squeaking may subside with more wears.

Beautiful color Zippster!

6. ReppTiePrepster

Another awesome shade of whiskey!

2 people like this.
  7. sin9clair

sin9clair Member

Very nice looking boot.

1 person likes this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

There are a few thing you could do. (Least aggressive to most)
    All of which you should do to the whole shoe, so it is even.
    1. Damp cloth and brush vigorously
    2. try Renovateur, as it is a mild cleaner.
    3. try Renomat, as it is a more aggressive cleaner. If you use Renomat, be sure to have a good nutrient filled paste wax or cordovan shoe polish. The trick is the right color. It depends on the shade of ravello.

9. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

outstanding. what a difference that chukka and 24 hours make. ae has totally redeemed itself.
    wonderful boots and photo.
    1. pictures please
    2. damp cloth, brush, brush, brush

10. 89826

89826 Senior member

Zip,
    Very nice boots! This is what shell Indys should look like: regular stitching on the front. The raised stitching looks weird to my eye. My two pairs, #8 and cigar on commando, are the old style. Won't buy any of the current shell versions. But did order some Ultimate Indys from Leather Soul: brown chromexcel on commando.

I think raised stitching looks great on full-strap loafers and tassel loafers, however.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  11. 89826

89826 Senior member

One of my favorite designs!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Not awful but here they are [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

nice boots.
    i don't have experience lightening shell. when i add product, it only makes ravello darder. i would wear them and not worry about imperfections too much.

1 person likes this.
  14. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

snuff x epaulet
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Which vendor did the ravello wingmonks?

Thanks!

I find that if you don't "prepare" the combination tree by sort of expanding it already, before putting it in, it doesn't tend to fill out the width fully.

It really does.

Thanks!

It's a bit surprising that Alden went from machine-stitching the apron to hand-sewing it. Seems like it would only become more complex and more prone to errors. Anyone know why they changed it?

Great choice.

16. Alden of Carmel

Alden of Carmel Well-Known Member

The feeling at the factory was that the handsewing, a more luxurious treatment, was more appropriate for their premium product.

17. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks! The J Crew boots are my first foray into Alden's magnificent "eggplant" and, out of the box, it's a much more striking color than my AE shoes in burgundy shell. I still love my AE shell, but they look like they could use a clear coat, polishing and sealant in order keep up.

I hope to retake the photo after a few years of wear (and care) on both boots.

Thank you for the good press, gentlemen, and thank you all again for the warm welcome. I look forward to participating where I can.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

19. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

For me, the novelty may wear off along with the shine, but after years of relentless wiping and brushing in the pursuit of glossing up my shell to a proper glow, it's great to pull a new pair of boots out of the box and think "These are ridiculous. I don't have to touch these. I don't have to do anything to these."

Chalk it up to the impressions of a noob on his Alden honeymoon, if you will. :slayer:

20. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Some of the acrylic finish Alden puts on is coming off my color 8 LWBS after a dozen plus wears. It's tough to get a good shine on that area (where the rolls is before the toe box) as the surface finish is currently uneven. Any recommendations? Can put up a photo later this evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.