1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usfpaul82

usfpaul82 Well-Known Member

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I do prefer Alden color 8 to any other color of cordovan, or makers variation, but those Dundees are killer, too. Funny how much darker they are than AE shell from even a year or 2 ago. Check out the Park Aves in my avatar, for example.

Anyway, love those JCrews. If only they would stock wide sizes. :fu:

3. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks p78, and very true - The burgundy shell that the AE store had on display was the lighter, almost merlot-colored shell of the prior version and looked nothing like either my Dundee or Cambridge when they were delivered. Kind of a shame, since the old color was awesome, but the darker hue goes just as well in my wardrobe. I do think the Dundees will lighten a bit over time.

The weather report is calling for 40 degrees here tomorrow night, so it looks like I get to wear these boots sooner than expected. :slayer:

4. prez

prez Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB unlined LHS in color 8 shell

5. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Lots of #8 today so I fit right in... maiden voyage of the Navals from Leffot:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. zargoz

zargoz Senior member

[​IMG]

Any tips for getting new shell monks to stop squeaking?

Got these from AoM to wear at my upcoming wedding. Been wearing around the office a few hours a day to break 'em in and I sound like bozo the clown walking around... Seems to come from the straps rubbing on the tongue.

Awesome design on the Aberdeen last. Loving the fit so far too.

1 person likes this.
  7. RobinM

RobinM Senior member

When shell is folded repeatedly (crease area), it becomes particularly porous. Dirt and residual polish will get trapped. Hence the darkening. Thats the nature of shell. There is no real effective way to totally remove the impregnated dirt/polish.
    You may try using adhesive tape to lift off some of the dirt, followed by a light layer of Reno and vigurous brushing to smooth out the surface.

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Nah I just put them on and let the creases come where they want. I only have around 5 wearings on them so far, lots of rolls to come.

Yep the chambray Bowery slim. Very nice, also very light for the warm weather.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Whiskey Indy.
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Whiskey Wednesday!

5 people like this.
  11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Light dusting of baby/talk powder

12. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Hands down the favorite shoe in my rotation and the first time I've seen it posted on this site. Congrats on your upcoming wedding as well as a great pair of shells. This shoe was made for Aberdeen. I got mine off the Bay and there was no squeak so unfortunately I've got no advice to offer. Great shoe and I'm sure the squeak will be fine.

13. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Very nice ,are these C width?

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Willing to let go of my Alden x Leffot Shell Color 8 LWB (antique edge) at cost for the folks here. Just shoot me a pm.

size 8.5D Barrie last

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  15. usfpaul82

usfpaul82 Well-Known Member

I apologize if this is a silly question, but does anyone worry about shoe trees stretching out the show width wise? Seems like the stress a tree puts on a shoe when inserted may cause some stretch in the width on the softer, unlined styles.

16. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Oh man! Would've snagged these if they were my size! Good luck!

17. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

I've had this issue on other monks (non Alden). A light dusting of baby power is a temporary fix, but as a more permanent fix, consider lightly sanding the underside of the strap that's causing the squeaking. I've found that roughing up the leather lining just slightly really cuts down on squeaks.

18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You did well in catching these Unicorns. Nicely done!
    Looking great in your workhorse boots.
    Patrick, your PCTs are looking superb. Their patina continues to progress terrifically. It is amazing how nice a little edge dressing takes a pair of shoes in terms of cleaning them up.
    Buz, those are terrific looking PTBs. Yeah, I consider them to be a casual model as well, but see how people associate shine with formality. Your pair has a spectacular color to them.
    You are looking very good today in your Navy Tassels and white EP slacks.
    It is fun to see this Harrison model getting good use. They are looking good ATL.
    Nice looking PTBs. Those are quite special and unique as a 4 eyelet PTB. Hope that you enjoyed them today!
    They are both looking very good! I personally prefer the Alden "eggplant" Color 8 myself, but that is a preference thing. Over time, they all approach them same color anyways... I do like the 3-eyelet-ness of the Dundee. I had to sell a Walnut Shell Dundee due to sizing and it made me sad. But I know they are in good hands.
    As someone said, I would personally just brush them vigorously and wear them. Over time, I think if you care for them, they will clean up. Someone else provided good advice as well.
    Another fine Indy demonstration. Hope you didn't have to wait too long.
    Always a nice day to rock an unlined Shell LHS. Looking good in them prez!
    Looking good in your new Naval Boots. Congrats on getting them. I hope they serve you many years in good health.
    Congrats on the new Wingtip monks and your engagement. Remember to prepare for the marriage and not just the wedding. I like the baby powder idea. Pretty creative. :)
    Zipster, these are absolutely amazing. Very rare especially with what appears to be machine stitching. Mac has a Cigar Indy with machine stitching... Not sure I have seen a Whiskey with it. Very old and very awesome.
    Very nice and clean looking Whiskey PTBs. Looking good today! -Mike

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sadly I know Zennypoo has a pair. Not sure if he has posted them here or just on IG.

-Mike

20. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

I would make two suggestions. You could use a full toe instead of a combination shoe tree. You could also try buying smaller shoe trees for those particular styles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.