1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I size the same

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Sizing question for those Van lovers (yes Chipshot, I'm targeting you). I'm a 8.5D Barrie but width-wise, it's a snug, though not uncomfortable, fit. I always assumed Van and Barrie would run the same but I recently picked up a pair of 8.5D snuff unlined LHS's and these definitely fit tighter than my 8.5D Barrie's. I don't know if this is related to the Last or the unlined nature of the LHS. I had always assumed that unlined would fit looser not tighter, but it was an assumption on my part and I could be wrong.

My question is whether a 9D 986 would work for me. As always, input is appreciated.

Was definitely thinking the same thing.

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I wear a 10.5D in Barrie, I have what I certainly would consider wide feet. Barrie is about perfect fit for me. I also just bought snuff suede LHS without trying on the Van last first- no question it's not as wide as Barrie but Barrie isn't tight on me. Because of the give of suede it fits me well but I probably couldn't do shell/normal calfskin in that same size. If I were you I would try 8.5E. They do make them in E.

I would also expect some stretch in the size you have so maybe wear them around the house a bit and see if they loosen up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. thromb

thromb Senior member

I think the 9D would work for you. But consider 8.5E as well, especially if the 8.5 length is good and it's just a problem of 'width'.

The tightness in fit may be because you have a high instep? Others have made this point before but the Van sizing can be tricky for some, especially when trying to size a LHS. It's not just width that needs to be taken into account because it's a 3D problem and an issue that affects those with a high instep, like me. Going up in width will give you more volume which could relieve the snugness across the vamp.

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Shawn, Thromb is correct, it's a Three Dimensional problem and length and width are important but height on the camp is important as well. I do not recommend sizing on the LHS. I wear 10.5B on the Barrie and 10C on the Van. That's not necessarily intuitive...

-Mike

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Whiskey LHS for a day in San Francisco.

Alden X Brooks Whiskey LHS
    Gustin Selvedge Chinos
    Epaulet Made to Measure Shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

8. Don L

Don L Senior member

Leisure Sunday
    BB Lined Suede LHS
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Appreciate the input B3, I'm in the same boat as you. They felt tight in the width and instep but after a couple of hours it felt like my feet were being hugged by a soft pillow. I'm looking to grab a pair of shell and I doubt that they will stretch like suede. Other than Aberdeen, I don't particularly care for how E width shoes look on my feet but fit is more important so I'll definitely consider it. Again, thanks.

Hey thromb - I'm really leaning toward the 9D. I don't think I have a particularly high instep but it may be a little higher than normal. The concern with the 9D is the length but given that I am looking for a strictly casual shoe, I can live with a thicker sock if necessary. Plus I like your reasoning on the impact of the increased volume on the vamp. Thanks for the input.

This type of sizing seems to be the norm Mike. I wouldn't mind nearly as much going from a B to C, but I just don't think I will like the look of an E width on my feet. I'm leaning toward going up to a 9 and seeing how that feels. Thanks for the input. Unrelated, killer killer unlined whiskey's.

I've seen this a couple of times and interestingly enough, both times it was on BB shoes. As with the initial listing, I think this is simply a case of a seller being intentionally misleading. I'll bet these are 8. Not a coincidence that he doesn't provide a pic of the inside numbering. That would make it easy to uncover the deception.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

11. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

12. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

My experience is basis only two models as the flex welt sole on the calf models offers little support so it's a pass for me, I once had a flex welt Chukka and could hardly make it around the block. That's just me maybe, after experiencing Alden's I sold off .. mostly donated my high end Italian loafers as they were single soled and zero cork bedding. Sorry.. Back to the LHS.. I take the same size in both BB Unline Shell and... Lined Shells. The Lined shells definitely fit feel wise a little bit larger but they are much more stout of a shoe than the Unline and hence take some time for break in to minimize heel slippage. After that, you will realize the wait was worth it and I'd much rather spend an entire day walking around in Lined vs Unlind LHS's. My 2 cents.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

[​IMG] I've been trying to catch up with and read my favorite thread... I can see nothing has changed! I hope to participate again soon.

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

looking thru old pix on the thread. These are so dope it hurts. with these, you don't need any color 4 DV!

1 person likes this.
  15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Ultimate Indy's, recently shined. These get the most wear out of any of my shoes, save for my loafers in summer. these are about 3 years old. the brown CXL is perfect on this boot, as is the commando sole. really the perfect makeup I think .

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

17. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I dunno - unobtainium kinda hurts my feelings.... :(

;)

18. tb43

tb43 Senior member

I'm looking at a snuff suede Indy boot. I saw Alden of Madison has one with a red sole..what sole is that? Thanks guys!

19. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks sazon. yes, takes a while to come to that realization, and it's true.
    as good as color 8 gets. holy [​IMG]
    pretty awesome that you have the jcrew shell and cxl ls jumper boots.
    so nice dubs.
    thanks sazon. life was simpler then. first boots of any kind. zero selvedge denim...
    i like reading the old posts as well. i want to read the whole thread again during spring break.

20. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks MrDV. They complement each other nicely. Old pic to compare Barrie & TB. The color 8 was so dark back then. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.