• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpina

Reaction score
Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I totally support yours and my First Amendment Rights. I also totally support an open,free,economy. Selling shoes for 300% markup (if they sell) is no worse or better than selling a new PS4 for 2-3 times retail at Christmas. We now have a generation that has disposable income thats used to instant gratification. Instant everything! As long as thats the trend, theres going to be people who cater to it. I've seen purses sell for $10k, 20K and more that have less than $500 worth of material in them...why? The name and rarity!

I don't necessarily agree that selling these shoes for 300% profit is right, but I don't see it as wrong either...provided someone is willing to pay for it. What makes a 1st Class seat on a flight worth 2-3 times more? Its not the food! It could be the the additional space, but at the end of the day it's the status, the privilege, the service...plus you get there sooner than the guys at the back of the bus!

What makes it right to force someone who makes more money to support someone who's lazy and would rather stay on welfare than work? I have no issue with support the needy, but what about the lazy?

I see many here that see selling something for a 300% profit as being unethical, or taking advantage of a situation. What about if I get in on a pre-order for an ultra rare Alden...let's say a #2 LWB and sell them for 300% more? Does that make me wrong, or does it make me a business person? I think MrDV said it well...We all overpay for Alden's. Why...because they sell them faster they can make them! Its not because of the quality, although I think its pretty decent most of the time. Its really because of dumb butt addicts like us! Its our fault this scenario exists!

See Ya,
Steve

Addicts like us, plus the internet.
Feel free to chime in with the number of pairs of Aldens you have acquired since November 2, 2008 relative to the same period preceding that.
Me? Including the two pairs currently on pre-order: 10:1

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What makes it right to force someone who makes more money to support someone who's lazy and would rather stay on welfare than work?  I have no issue with support the needy, but what about the lazy?  

See Ya,
Steve

first, you're conflating the issue with this response. second, I find it obscene and offensive for you to cast a generalization of those on welfare as 'lazy.' Nobody chooses to be on welfare. you, sir, are a dick

cincikid

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this navy calf Indy make-up on Commando (from the recent TSM list)?

It looks similar to the Bureau's make up (save for the calf vs. CXL, no speedhooks and commando vs. crepe sole) but the .

Also, I found that the leather on the TSM boot looks does not really look navy. I'd say it is dark black and green with the touch of blue in person, which I actually like a lot.

totalair1

Reaction score

first, you're conflating the issue with this response. second, I find it obscene and offensive for you to cast a generalization of those on welfare as 'lazy.' Nobody chooses to be on welfare. you, sir, are a dick

You're pretty good at twisting words around. However I'm fine...seems you know a lot about Dick too.

I will say again...I have no problem supporting the needy, but the lazy not so much.

See Ya,
Steve

totalair1

Reaction score

Addicts like us, plus the internet.

Feel free to chime in with the number of pairs of Aldens you have acquired since November 2, 2008 relative to the same period preceding that.
Me?  Including the two pairs currently on pre-order: 10:1

I
Honestly have not counted how many pairs I've bought. At least 20 plus pairs since 2012

See Ya,
Steve

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

king nst
argyles otc

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to the point of the argument being made re: inflated auction prices, the truly "needy" aren't in the running to purchase any sort of luxury goods, unless you're referring to people dishing out that cash instead of spending it on their own community. I don't see what's wrong with listing an auction at such a high price.

Personally, as a shoe geek, I'd love to pass it on to a fellow aficionado for a reasonable price so that person can enjoy it instead of me.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I wear a 10E in Indy 404's (Kudu). Thinking about adding some shell, maybe a pair of 975's. Is the recco to stay the same size between these shoes? The Indy boots are definitely on the roomy side. All of my AE's are size 10's in E, EE, or EEE depending on last and calf or shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads