1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome Well-Known Member

just bought that pair in 11 e from them a couple minutes ago. was going to wait until a month from now on a trip to seattle but you know how that is.

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Both are nice. I wish the Leffot version had exposed eyelets. The newer Alden Boot laces are a bit of a pain with the hidden eyelets. But yeah, definitely wouldn't show the wife. Keep them in opposite sides of your storage solution.
    Resistance is futile. I am sure they will be perfect for you. -Mike

3. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

They look great. The CXL is going to crease something fierce, so those issues will not be noticeable after a bit of wear.

How do they fit? CXL will stretch more than other leathers.

4. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

I spoke with Aram earlier today. He received my my JCrew boots and will be converting the soles to Dainite next week. It was very easy and quick to place the order and receive the shipping label--everything was very efficient. My experience talking with Aram on the phone was similar to that of @Shawnc : Aram was extremely detail-oriented, patient, happily answered all my questions, seemed pleased to discuss his work. He gave the boots a look over to make sure the speed hooks were securely installed and not in danger of popping out, and that all the stitching was secure and holding well. Overall a very thorough, detailed conversation. It was like a night and day experience compared to my local cobbler. After the conversion, the edge color will be dark brown and the black of the Dainite (similar to what's described below), and he said the welt might be able to lighten just a bit to help the color transition from upper to edge. I had mentioned really enjoying the pics of his recent work and the blog, and he said he'd be happy to do the same for my boots. So: pics coming of the process of conversion to Dainite!

Here's a reference pic of the dark brown and Dainite edge look from user @BIG WONG , who had similar work done on his JCrew boots by B. Nelson in March of 2013:
    link to his post

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

cool. price for this?

6. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Sure. As Aram mentioned to me, he's celebrating one year of having his own shop after 20 years as a repairman (he previously did work for Sky Valet in DC) and is running a special through the end of this month for $100 instead of the usual $125. With shipping for me the total was $117. That's final price, including all shipping. Seriously, with that price and the recs here, how could I not? :)

I paid at noon, he emailed me a prepaid shipping label for UPS within a half hour, I went home and packed them up, and had them at the UPS store at 1:30. Shipped to him on Tues, he received them today (Friday). Total time without my boots is estimated to be about 2 weeks.

edit: forgot the link to the special (it's reflected in the cart): http://www.ahoneshoes.com/First-year-this-August_b_5.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Absolutely necessary. Well done, carry on.

1 person likes this.
  8. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Fantastic looking...wow! Variety may be the spice of life, but I like to use/wear what I like as often as I can. This is the perfect shoe rotation solution for guys like me--they're the same but just different enough. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I would kop as many cigar indys as I could....beautiful boot.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I am glad things are working out. I doubt that you will be disappointed with Aram's work. The funny (or sad) thing is I have yet to wear my jcrew captoe's and more after seeing the pic you posted, I am already looking forward to converting to Dainite. The slight change in the edge color really makes the boot pop. Can't wait to see pic's of your boots when they're done.

11. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

My preference on edge color is also heavily influenced by my love for the Crockett & Jones approach to Dainite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Very well said.

13. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I purchased those last year from Yenni, and love them. They look great, go with just about everything, and are super comfortable. Plus, I always get asked where I purchased them from.

14. EngineerE

EngineerE New Member

Just picked up my first pair of shell boots. Had to go with the wingtip :p
    I think these will look great with casual wear and also dressed up in a suit. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    7 people like this.
  15. victorioussiry

victorioussiry Active Member

Guys,

What would be a good non-shell, non-boots beaters for rainy day?

I was thinking scotch grain on commando sole. Would that be viable?

Thanks

16. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I wear my Alpine grain commando soled long-wings on rainy days (the ones in my pic). They keep my feet dry, but do discolor when wet (regardless of the protectant I put on them). That said, they dry out fine. Alternatively, I will wear suede long-wing boots or CXL long-wing boots, both on commando soles, and they do just fine in the rain.

1 person likes this.
  17. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Tobacco chamois is a great bad weather leather.

2 people like this.
  18. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

2 people like this.
  19. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Would you guys recommend shell shoes with commomdo sole for winter weather boot? Or is that a no no mind you not I will use alden leather defender before going out with them.

20. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

man, looks like a picture I took years ago. do you know where this is from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.