1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Alden Cigar Cap Toe Boot on the Grant Last by Alden DC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

14 people like this.
  2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

ecb, if you're passing these beautiful loafers at or near retail, you're doing us a favor. the number one rule here is help us get more aldens. specially cigar.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

To those that say Aldens come in waves, you're right. I have been waiting for months for some desired pairs in my size to pop up in B/S here and Ebay- pretty much nothing for a good 4-5 months. Now, within the past week, 3 pairs acquired. Crazy how that works.

4. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

Thanks guys. These are quickly becoming one of my favorites.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

As compared to years ago, Alden, IME, is definitely making its Van lasted LHS loafer wider than they used to. I own them in 9B and 9C. The last LHS shoe I tried on was 9B, and it was too wide. The LHS I tried on prior to that was 9C and it was way too wide (indeed, wider than an "old" 9D used to fit).

6. usfpaul82

usfpaul82 Well-Known Member

Greetings. Well I just placed an order for a shoe mart irregular...I have a few pairs of Aldens, but this is my first irregular order. I got the Unlined CXL Plain Toe Blucher. They will be here tomorrow but I am a little nervous. What type of "defect" should I expect? What are some of the defects you guys have seen when ordering irregulars?

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

You're right, looks like calf. I saw a shiny black boot in the email on my phone and didn't zoom in to look at the price or description. It's still a pretty cool boot either way.

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Who knows? It's always a mystery what the defect will be. I've ordered two off of the seconds lists in the past and my defects amounted to a lot of bloom on a pair of shell PTBs that brushed right off of a pair of boots that I was never able to figure out what the defect was. I wouldn't hesitate to order off of the lists again if something I really liked showed up. The worst (IMO) defects that I've seen reported on here are shoes that are noticeably different colors between the right and left shoe.

Let us know how yours turn out.

9. z8k1n

z8k1n Senior member

Ravello Chukka
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. feyy

feyy Well-Known Member

out of two orders, one was a slight 1/4" scuff on shell and one was 4 successive 1/16"-1/8" holes straight through chromexcel. the latter went back.

11. EastCoastBias

EastCoastBias New Member

I tried on a 8.5C in store in color 8 and it seemed like the right fit. But as the salesman told me - when I called up about the size issue - this is the risk you take with handmade shoes. Each pair can fit a little bIt different. A risk I would take again for some cigar shell.

12. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Since everyone is discussing rare shell makeups that might never come again, there's a Carmina GMTO I organized for a saddle (somewhere between whiskey and ravello) horween shell cordovan full-brogued wing tip boot going on right now. Delivery November-ish (12-14 weeks is the outside delivery time). Order link is up here. I was in the same boat as everyone else, wanting a light colored wingtip boot to round out my collection. For everyone who wants Alden or nothing, best of luck, the Brixton boot is beautiful. But as Michigan Planner said, that pre-order has been about 4-5 years in the waiting.

As an aside, I'm especially grateful now that I have my Frans Boone #8 plain toe boots with brass. I'm sure people here have seen that on the Epaulet thread, it was announced Alden will no longer be making any more #8 with brass (or #8 with suede) due to too much of the dye staining the materials. So get them now if you can.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

that's really nice. too close to my Lindrick for me, but that's what I was referring to above when it comes to people having more choice now than years ago

14. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Wow, Carmina is getting nasty with its retailers. They cancelled the skoaktiebolaget saddle shell NST this week (order placed in Feb '15) and are redirecting the shell to their wingtip preorder? That's pretty sneaky.

15. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Who's to say what the future holds, but to this point Carmina has been one of the most accomodating shoemakers there is for small MTO/GMTO...

16. z8k1n

z8k1n Senior member

Just arrived..lucked into an unworn make-up for a model from @Epaulet Alpine Grain on Barrie
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

That's strange that they did that for that order. They are certainly not redirecting any shell to this order though, as far as I can tell. It's getting shell from an upcoming shipment of shell they'll will be getting this coming month. I'm not sure why skoak's order was canceled, but I would be shocked if they would ever do that. No way a reddit GMTO ranks higher than skoak.

18. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I got a pair of these as well, seems to be a problem with the sole on the right shoe (minor), otherwise I love them.

19. katch

katch Senior member

Anyone pick something up from the Shoemart Irregulars? I was looking at the Wingtip Calf boot 44623HC

20. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

There was a nice #8 George boot Barrie size 10. I decided not to call, but was tempted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.