• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest acquisitions.

Alden Natural Chromexcel. Since the material is different from shell (less stiff), I feel like I can possibly take half a size smaller than I would in shell. Do you guys take the same size in chromxcel and shell? I know Mike wears a different size in shell, depending on the makeup. If I remember correctly, he wears PTBs in a smaller size than say an LWB.

Alden LWB - This was considered a reject pair from TSM, but I honestly can't tell, at all. Some of the first-quality I get is not even this nice, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest acquisitions.

Alden Natural Chromexcel. Since the material is different from shell (less stiff), I feel like I can possibly take half a size smaller than I would in shell. Do you guys take the same size in chromxcel and shell? I know Mike wears a different size in shell, depending on the makeup. If I remember correctly, he wears PTBs in a smaller size than say an LWB.

These are awesome especially at the sale price Unionmade let them go for. I was surprised to see them even on the list. If you decide not to keep them I would gladly pay the sale price cause I am assuming they are the 8.5D.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mystery 9073 Color 4 seconds. Too good to be true?? As usual...yep. There has to be a story behind these. Obviously not the more recent cigar 9073. It's probably the old ravello reglazed with the newer dark version (it is much darker indoors). The vamp and heels are creased, the tongues are really faded and the insole is imprinted with wear. However, the sole and heel pads look 100% new. They don't say "restoration", but they sure look it (welt seems to stick out more as well). I've asked TSM about them, but won't be keeping a used restored shoe sold as a second.
I doubt those shoes are restored. It looks like they are simply new seconds that have been tried on by someone, hence the creasing. What did you expect, really? You should be a little bit enterprising and list them on eBay. My guess is they'll be worth at least $1200. Otherwise, be a pal and sell them to someone here or return them. Cheers.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I have received numerous requests for the leather boot tongue trainers I was making awhile back I am posting in regards to to them . The leather supplier I use has not been carrying the material I use to make them (4-5 oz vegtan ) until he does I am unable to make anymore . I use this leather to make wallets and the trainers are made from scrap. However I will post pic for anyone caring to make them themselves . They are very simple and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I doubt those shoes are restored. It looks like they are simply new seconds that have been tried on by someone, hence the creasing. What did you expect, really?

You should be a little bit enterprising and list them on eBay. My guess is they'll be worth at least $1200. Otherwise, be a pal and sell them to someone here or return them.

Cheers.

Ha Ha...yes, I've had enough seconds to obviously not expect perfect. And I should step back from accusing them of selling a restored shoe. A cap toe bal won't go for that much, but all it takes is a drunk bidder or two on a holiday weekend.

chewbocka

Reaction score

Because I have received numerous requests for the leather boot tongue trainers I was making awhile back I am posting in regards to to them . The leather supplier I use has not been carrying the material I use to make them (4-5 oz vegtan ) until he does I am unable to make anymore . I use this leather to make wallets and the trainers are made from scrap. However I will post pic for anyone caring to make them themselves . They are very simple and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words

Oh man I need this

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mystery 9073 Color 4 seconds. Too good to be true?? As usual...yep. There has to be a story behind these. Obviously not the more recent cigar 9073. It's probably the old ravello reglazed with the newer dark version (it is much darker indoors). The vamp and heels are creased, the tongues are really faded and the insole is imprinted with wear. However, the sole and heel pads look 100% new. They don't say "restoration", but they sure look it (welt seems to stick out more as well). I've asked TSM about them, but won't be keeping a used restored shoe sold as a second.
Assuming the numerical designation is correct, they are cigar, albeit a much lighter version. I have complained about Alden's QC. However, I would bet a good bit of money that is not a restored pair that Alden is attempting to sell as new.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the boot trainers for? I can almost tell...but can't connect the dots.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BlueCollar awesome looking bag my friend, but I covet your shortwing bluchers even more! @mcarthur , Uncle those are fabulous cigar cap toe boots!

I hope everyone here has a great 4th tomorrow!

Today I went with cigar, I mean (new) Ravello PTBs. We had a severe thunder storm alert so I sported my new swims over-shoes. They're a smidge big; do you think they make tongue pads for overshoes?
biggrin.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@BlueCollar awesome looking bag my friend, but I covet your shortwing bluchers even more! @mcarthur , Uncle those are fabulous cigar cap toe boots! I hope everyone here has a great 4th tomorrow! Today I went with cigar, I mean (new) Ravello PTBs. We had a severe thunder storm alert so I sported my new swims over-shoes. They're a smidge big; do you think they make tongue pads for overshoes? :D
nephew, thank you good shine on your ptb. the swims would not properly protect your shoes in last nights and tonight thunderstorms. you need tingley overshoes

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Morning gents.

I wanted to find a briefcase to go with my ravello shell; with no luck south of $2000. So i decided to make my own.

I mess around with leatherworking in my spare time so decided to take on the project.
This is the closest match i could find locally. It's waxed cow shoulder. Super stiff with a great feel/hand.

It's fully saddle stitched, by hand, 9 stitches per inch (no machine stitching, no rivets). If i were to do it again i would change a few things.

I thought I would share.

Sorry for the poor lighting.

Late to the game but...stunning.
First you make a motorcycle now this.
Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads