1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Either style would suit your needs, imo.

I don't think there's any noticeable creasing difference other than the WT has some decoration to break up a crease - but the creases can still be seen.

1 person likes this.
  2. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

J. Gilbert 6-eye Hummus suede Chukka

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. adamf009

adamf009 Well-Known Member

Damn I couldn't resist these despite already having a pair of Epaulet Brixton boots in #8 with antique edge. I'm in slacks and sport coats to work all week so plaza and dark edge works better for me, IMHO.

Brixtons may be heading to B&S.

4. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new to the Alden game. I have 2 pair of boots and a 3rd on order. I am wondering why I see so many lightly used Alden shoes for sale on eBay. Any thoughts from the guys who have been in this forum for a long time??

5. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Quick question for those who have sole saver/topy done to leather soles: if i'm wanting a 2mm thick piece, how important is it for the cobbler to sand the existing leather sole down 2mm so that it's completely flush? On @mdubs site I can't tell if that's been done...almost looks like it is transitioned well near the middle but still added thickness to the sole: http://aldenofsandiego.com/extending-the-life-of-a-leather-sole/

[​IMG]

Compare it to this pic from the album at http://imgur.com/a/iN7Em by reddit user 6t5g in this thread, in which it's stated that the cobbler took about 1/16" off the sole to retain the stance:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  6. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

Fit issues seem are probably the most common reason.

Other reasons might include having too many pairs (ya right!) or having shoes that are too similar in nature to one another.

1 person likes this.
  7. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

After a brief scare with UPS My Choice, they should have been at the store as directed, and where they said they were delivered, these beauties got unboxed.

[​IMG]

Have to excuse the chinos. Had to try them on.
    [​IMG]

With their recent cigar brothers
    [​IMG]

Hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

11 people like this.
  8. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

Aldens also hold their value pretty well and so it's fairly easy to sell them. I own shoes that I wouldn't even bother selling just because I wouldn't get anything in return for them...

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Someone else already hit on this, but I will chime in very quickly. Both makers make nice shoes and are both relatively well made. I personally believe that Alden uses slightly nicer Calfskin. That said, I own no Alden calfskin shoes from their main collection, I just have a Cape Cod Horse Bit Loafer. You will also, if you look at the details, the Alden welts are a much more precise stitch and it typically matches up amazingly well with the fudging. Unfortunately tiny differences like this drive up the production costs significantly. Just like the upgrade cost from Alden to EG. I personally believe that Alden makes a superior Cordovan model and at the price differential, it's not much of a question. The value proposition does become harder with calfskin...
    Thanks Chris, they are from Alden Madison. Madison does it on the Aberdeen Last. ShoeMart does it on the Barrie. I prefer the Aberdeen, particularly on the NST due to the longer seam stitching.
    Those are me! :)
    Ha! Two things are working against me on them. First and foremost, they are unlined. It's really hard to get into them and not crease them even a little. Secondly, I actually bought these second hand off of eBay. Probably one of my best eBay pickups ever. They were pretty stinking rough when I first got them, and I got a great deal on them, like around $250-$300. I have been slowly nursing them back to health as they seemed to have been fairly neglected by their previous owner. Also, due to this and due to the fact that they have a Toppy on them, I tend to be pretty rough on them and wear them on days in which I am going to be doing a ton of walking. :)
    Congrats! Enjoy them, the CXL LWB is a great model!
    Awesome as always Don!!!!
    Yeah, I did not request the cobbler to sand them down much. I don't like damaging the stitching between the outsold and welt. They just sand it down the bare minimum necessary to get a surface that can take the Toppy glue. They actually instead taper the Toppy on all the edges to provide a cleaner look. The 1mm offset doesn't bother me at all. I never even notice the difference but enjoy the grip!
    Glad you got them! They look superb! :) -Mike

1 person likes this.
  10. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AoC Cigar LWB

4 people like this.
  11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

think the issue here is going to be fitting a thick crepe sole onto a loafer like that. just today I brought AE Kenwood loafers into B. Nelson for resoling and they convinced me the crepe sole would look off on a trad loafer like that. ended up going with an oiled flex sole. I'll do crepe on another shoe or boot which is meant to go with a double sole

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I was just busting your chops a bit. The shine on the unlined whiskey loafers did seem a little lackluster compared to your norm. Knowing that they were second-hand pickups explains a lot. On the flip side, I wondered how on earth you acquired a pair of shoes that Brooks has not stocked in a long long time by my count.

I have found stripping with Renomat and/or using Bick 4 to rehydrate will do wonders for rough shell. But I'd be somewhat cautious with whiskey. Enjoy your kicks,

14. JayDotz

JayDotz Well-Known Member

Hey guy. First post here.

Does anyone know of a preorder or a stockist for the Indy with commando sole and contrast stitching in kudu? I know leather soul stocks them sometimes and I have a email out to them but is there any other sources? Any info would be great. Thanks!

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ben, looking great! Those are forming a lovely patina.

No worries, yeah, I figured you were busting me. But, that is their story. I agree, I did Reno them, but did a really light coat, but a like you, I try and be very careful with Whiskey as well, as it visually absorbs a lot more... :)

-Mike

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Jay, welcome to the thread and best of luck! That's not a model that I track, so I sadly can't help you too much. Our Hawaiian friends are pretty good, suggest you give them a quick buzz and see if it's in their queue.

-Mike

17. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

These look so good! I was thinking of pulling the trigger on these on so many different occasions. You wear them really well!

I refuse to spoiler the last picture, haha. Congrats on your new acquisition! Nice shoes AND boots. They work well together and you definitely have coverage in Cigar! What last are the SW bluchers on?

Killin em' out here, Ben! Nice LWB's. If you want to hit Sherman Bros this weekend, give me a shout!

18. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Do you not recommend whisky color shell? Or is it hard to take care of?

19. JayDotz

JayDotz Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I've been lurking this thread forever and figured I should finally get involved. I talked to leather soul and they don't have any plans but put me on the "dream list." That sounds like a long shot but we will see.

20. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

whiskey shell can be tricky to care care for because it will show marks on the light shell, and using products with pigments or certain solvents can cause stains or unintended darkening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.