1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prez

prez Senior member

2 people like this.
  2. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Great info. Thank you!

3. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Yes, and I love it. I think it's from Ashland leathers...
    Super comfortable right out of the box.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why yes, yes I do :)
    Leffot gets my vote! Very high quality, nice buckle, lots of colors available. I have one on my Grand Seiko and it is amazing. Your Speedy will look awesome with some shell. I have to thank @tifosi for the recommendation on the Leffot strap.

1 person likes this.
  5. katch

katch Senior member

Thanks! That looks amazing. Is that the lined or unlined version?

6. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Thanks!
    It is the lined rust with matching stitching.

7. katch

katch Senior member

Nicely done. Thanks!

8. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

I would agree it's an even split between TTS and sizing down. I wear them TTS. One of my favorite lasts.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

CARMINA!!! or VASS is superior in calf leather quaility and finishing. or at that price just save for the alden shell

1 person likes this.
  10. jch7149

jch7149 Active Member

Thanks guys, lol

11. duff406

duff406 Senior member

Suggestions for some nice laces to replace the flat waxed ones in my Alden boots? Just not feeling these laces. Don't want a colored lace, just some nice replacements. Will probably alternate, and pick up some Benjo's colored laces at some point too.

12. victorioussiry

victorioussiry Active Member

for shell cordovan watch strap, let me recommend nomos strap: http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watchstraps/Horween-Genuine-Shell-Cordovan/

They source the strap from horween and straps have various width and also length which you could choose.
    Most straps offered do not have length options. Nothing sucks more than having to punch new holes because the wrist size don't match.

The price is pretty reasonable too.

note: I do not own one lol

13. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

I think I know the answer to this one, but it's better to check with expertise beforehand:

Stylistically, are the color 8 wingtip boots generally more formal than the color 8 cap toe boots? How does the creasing of the cordovan vary between the two for anyone who can speak to that?

I've been set for a while on the color 8 wingtip boots, but now I realize my general style is a little less formal than what I thought it'd be. I'm in jeans and trousers generally, and only wear a suit no more than 3 times a season on average (around a dozen times a year). Most of the time when I wear my trousers or jeans it's with a button down without a tie, sometimes with a blazer or odd jacket on top (rarely), and every now and then I'll have to or feel compelled to don a tie. With that in mind, would you recommend the wingtip or the cap toe boots?

14. mosy

mosy Senior member

Where can I find a pair of Alden captoe boots in dark brown calf with commando sole?

15. thomasshawn

thomasshawn Active Member

Just received these natty cxl lwb's from the Bureau Belfast. I'm pretty damn happy with what I'm seeing here. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now I just have to take them in for Topies and tie taps. I'll enjoy them on the carpet for a bit first.

2 people like this.
  16. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Dam those are nice

17. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Folks with more knowledge can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think historically wingtip boots with brogue have been considered more casual in England. They were more or less for outdoor sporting and working. I suppose the same could be said for a tweed sportcoat (thus the name). However, in the US I've always gotten the feeling and impression that wingtip shoes are "fancy," so others who aren't well versed in the history of shoes might consider them more formal than cap toe boots. And I say that even while seems to me that the cap in cap toes were meant for toe protection when working. I'm not sure most people think that deeply about it, and see brogue wingtips and think "what a lot of intricate stuff going on--how fancy!"

2 people like this.
  18. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

^ cue @sevenfoldtieguy

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer but to me both are about the same. For me, the determinate factor would be the welt. Many wingtip boots have a raised welt which for me, makes them less formal than a Captoe with a flat welt. The storm welt makes any shoe/boot more casual than the same shoe/boot with a flat on, IMO.

Having said that, there is no wingtip boot that I have seen that I would consider too formal for the dress style you describe. I have a couple of Captoes on Grant and a wingtip on grant on preorder. All have a flat welt and I don't look at one as being more or less formal than the other.

1 person likes this.
  20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

that has been my understanding and experience as well

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.