1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

First day in my new (to me) leather soul plaza semi brogues. Now I know what it's like to walk a mile in mDubs' shoes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    4 people like this.
  2. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

These are outstanding Sir!!

3. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I have said this once and I'll say it again: Alden Balmoral Models are highly underrated IMO.

They do an excellent job, especially Plaza last and most importantly their shell cordovan offerings.

4. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

5. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

These are cool as hell Don. I always enjoy looking at these with all the rolls and patina. Lots of character .. a good thing in today's cookie cutter world. Well done!

1 person likes this.
  6. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yeah, funny you should say it, I was actually thinking earlier today that I "Needed" and Alden #8 monk strap....

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Yes. A good cobbler can sew-on a leather patch in the heel area.

8. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thanks, good to know. I have a feeling all my shoes are heading in this direction. Still holding out hope for my boots.

9. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Quick question about first few wears of the cordovan boots: should I not lace up as tight as I need to for the first few hours? I'm planning to wear them an hour a day, two hours, three hours, and so on for the break in. But I feel like I recall somewhere reading about not tightening up too tight in order to give the cordovan a chance to soften a bit and otherwise the stitching can be too stressed. Am I making that up or is it true? Or can I just lace as tight as I want and go?

10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I think that in general you don't want to crank the lacing down real hard on shoes or boots whether they be cordovan or not.

The footbed will usually settle down and mold to your foot and then you can tighten them accordingly.

And also, I would not worry about it too much anyway my friend.

11. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Thanks again, Watchman1. They're snug enough that I don't have heel slip and I have an inch between laces, and I didn't try to tighten them too much. Just didn't know how careful to be. The firmness of the cordovan is a whole different ballgame from what I'm used to! That said, they're extremely comfortable already.

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yes Sir,

I think the concept of wearing the boots/shoes for 15 min intervals for awhile inside before going outside as to break in the uppers properly is a generally good idea.

Obviously, tree them when your feet are not in them.

Some give the boots or shoes a dry out period before trees go in, others do not. This last notion is mainly dictated by what climate you live in.

I think that the historical significance of shell cordovan is often lost. The leather was basically invented because of its impervious nature. Scuffs can be buffed out. Water cannot get in. Almost totally immune to salt stains. Looks better with time. Rolls instead of creases.

These things are just a few of the reasons shell was heralded as a wonder material for work boots some 70 yrs ago or so. Over the course of time, the sartorial beauty of the leather was realized and it has become a novelty. In a good way of course...

Case In Point: Don't be reluctant to go too easy on shell cordovan, especially the classic #8 shade.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. Iamalfie

Iamalfie Member

Hi everyone,

I have some sizing dilemma regarding lasts. I have a pair of loafers 8.5D in Van last and am looking at a pair of Aberdeen loafers.

Looking at the picture guide of lasts provided by Alden, it would seem that I should size down to 8D on the Aberdeen last.

Appreciate some advice on this!

Thanks.

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

IDK about that...

If the 8.5D Van fit you well, then I would start with the same size in Aberdeen.

Do not be surprised if you have to go out to a 8.5E...due to the restricted toe box of the sleeker Aberdeen.

Or perhaps even a 9D in Aberdeen.

There is no better alternative to trying on Alden shoes in person.

Thanks.

15. Iamalfie

Iamalfie Member

Thanks for the advice. I fully agree with trying the shoes, or any other shoes. However, Asia does not have many brick and mortar shops that sell Aldens, and unfortunately I do not have access where I am.

Shall probably go with 8.5E just to be safe.

1 person likes this.
  16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Thats what I would recommend.

It seems that many of us here have had far greater success with Alden sizing by adjusting widths instead of lengths between the various Alden lasts.

Aberdeen is one of the narrowest...therefore the E width should work.

How does the Van fit you?

17. Iamalfie

Iamalfie Member

Its probably the most comfortable loafers I own. Even on the D width, the last is very generous which is good for a casual loafer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  18. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Honestly that impervious, durable, hardy, good looking nature of cordovan is the #1 reason I chose them over anything similar in calf or pebble grain or CXL. I figured I wanted to wear them for a long time and look good the whole time, too. Low maintenance, good looking boots. I guess it's easy to overthink the "proper" way to go about getting these boots on the pavement.

19. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Very well said sir :)

20. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thank you gentlemen for the kind words.
    i feel lucky every time i wear them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.