1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

In case you're wondering what those would look like, these are mine from last week:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. grizzlygiant

grizzlygiant Senior member

Hey guys, I ordered the Alden X Lost & Found Inside Out Navy Silksport Indy Boot and have some concerns with the misstitch and dent on the toebox in the final photo. Is this something that would warrant a return? I'm really hoping I don't have but would love to hear thoughts on the matter. If you have any questions on the boot itself let me know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

haha good point

4. tricky

tricky Senior member

@grizzlygiant all I can say is that those are beautiful boots. Congratulations. Good luck with your decision.

5. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

They look phenomenal and the stitching defect you mentioned is unfortunately common to Alden but will not have any negative affect on the boots whatsoever. I can't even find the dent.

In my opinion, those are keepers I would not return them. Keeping in mind that I am just a stranger on an internet forum; only you can decide if they are acceptable to you.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I am probably going to pull the trigger on this- my one concern is how wrinkled an unlined CXL PTB will get... having only recently seen natural CXL in person I really love the look. This will be a great casual shoe.

7. grizzlygiant

grizzlygiant Senior member

Yes, between this and GYW I've decided to keep it. I'm not super picky but wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect the long term integrity of the boot. Thanks!

8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

9. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

10. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome!
    Mdubs, I had read on this thread that the JCrew model is a more narrow Barrie than standard Alden, so that's why the 8.5 (my Brannock and what I wear in J&M shoes) and the 8, as well.
    Pics are coming, but I'm really nervous about the correct sizing with these. With the price, I don't want to blow it. The 8 feels really good, not too narrow...just about perfect width. And the arch feels like and appears to match my foot.
    However, I can tell that my first crease on these is going to be just a couple/few millimeters away from the cap seam at the big toe area. I've been looking at tons of crease pics, but most of what I see are creases in the middle of the space between the cap and laces. Is what I'm seeing normal or is it possible the ball of my foot is too far forward in the shoe?
    Again, the arch matches up, and the ball appears to match the flex point, but the crease is really far forward--almost hitting the cap seam.
    P.S. This is only on my right foot, by the way. The left appears that it will crease slightly further back, more direct middle.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yes Sir,

I am indeed located in Greater Chicago-Land. A fella in Rockford IL by the name of Tom:

http://palaceshoeservice.com/

Don't let the lack luster appearance of the shop fool you, he and his brother are master craftsmen IMHO.

The Dad still works there with him and he started working on soldiers boots during WW2. And, even he learned from his Pops.

So, like 3rd gen at least.

Thanks.

12. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

13. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

Like you, I've sized 1/2 up from my regular Barrie size for the JCrew PCT (so effectively my TTS). Everyone's foot is different, but these boots feel like they're sized the same as my other Barrie lasted boot and didn't need to size 1/2 up.

So in summary, I've bought these boots and they're a half size too big.

14. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah, the more I dig around the more it seems like the Alden JCrew cordovan cap toe boots are half and half with TTS vs size down 1/2. Most of the comments I've seen about going TTS have to do with width only. In other words, if you can size down and the width is still good, then you'll perceive it to fit like every other Barrie last.

Just saw your previous post--thank you for confirming about the length of the PCT compared to other Barrie boots! I somehow missed that a few days ago.

The size 8 boots feel good, snug but not too tight. I can wear thicker socks and have the laces further apart or wear medium/thin socks and tighten up the laces and still not have them touching. The arch area does feel like it lines up.

On the size 8.5, it feels like I have extra room in the width, and they just plain don't feel as good as the size 8.

It was really just seeing how the size 8 is going to crease that gave me second thoughts about the fit. I did find a YouTube review of them, and the crease near the cap on this person's left foot is pretty similar to what I think I will be getting, so I guess I'm probably fine. He states that he sized down 1/2 for these boots:

[​IMG]

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I understand your concern and wanting for everything to look pristine. I have the J. Crew #8 PCT boots as well and I went 1/2 size down from TTS. They are very comfortable and fit me really well. I have sized all my Barrie boots this way and feel they all fit pretty much the same. I don't find the J. Crew boots to fit smaller as some have stated. But everybody's feet are different. I also have a very small crease on the right boot's cap toe. The main creases on the boot are in the normal (desired) place. But the left boot has no creases on the cap toe. My right foot is the larger foot so maybe that contributes. But none of my other Barrie boots have creases in the cap toe.

Everybody's different but I don't even worry about it anymore. Good luck and welcome.

1 person likes this.
  16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

@McQ7

I also found the JCrew PCT boot to be very much in alignment with other Barrie boots.

That is to say, .5 size down from TTS.

The Cap Toe on the Jcrew boots extends back considerably IME.

I would not worry at all about slight/subtle cap toe creasing.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  17. McQ7

McQ7 Well-Known Member

Thanks, BootSpell and Watchman1. I don't mind creases, but I would not be feeling too good if I made a mistake in sizing a shoe that cost this much! It's my first high-quality pair so I'm just nervous about getting it right. I truly appreciate knowing about others' experiences--it really helps with the confidence, honestly!

1 person likes this.
  18. iLuveketchup

Don't laugh, but I've seen a video on Youtube (I can't seem to find it now) of creasing your Cordovan shoes/boots, when you first receive them, at the part of the shoe where you want the crease.

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Aahh, the good ole' pencil trick...

20. iLuveketchup

Yes, haven't tried it myself. Maybe on the next pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.