***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfrege

mfrege Senior member

I like the split toe look but it is something I have never seen anyone wear in real life, just wondering if it is a SF fad or not?

Because we can safely assume that SF did contract Alden to invent the split toe style for forum collabs, then, no, it's not just an SF fad.

2. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

^ those are size 7.5 D barrie last. I definitely feel that the NST boots are a little more aggressively styled than the Indy boots (which without a doubt are classics). But I already own the Indy boots and wanted these as well. Whether you will regret buying them in 3 years no one can answer that except yourself. I will say that as the number of types of Indys is growing exponentially at the moment, some dealers are moving to other Alden designs which is why you are probably seeing more NST boots nowadays, at least in stores and not in real life.

in short, I would consider blue reverse chamois Indys with red brick soles a fad (if they existed), these, not so much.

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Do Aldens ever go on sale or should I just pay the ~$400 for a pair of Balmorals on theshoemart?

Also, I'm usually a 12D - do Aldens run true to size?

Aldens rarely go on sale. And when they do, it is only around 10% and on selected styles.

The fit will be based on the last, ie TruBalance, Modified, and Barrie will run 1/2 bigger.

4. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

hi everyone! hope your having a great christmas! so, i am sure this has been covered, before... but am curious on peoples thoughts on the new hampton last. fit, look, and of course pic's would be greatly appreciated! thanks! and happy holidays!

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Do Aldens ever go on sale or should I just pay the ~$400 for a pair of Balmorals on theshoemart?

Almost never. The only exception is re-branded Aldens (particularly Brooks Brothers) which will usually be included in their semi-annual sales.

6. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

I really like these boots, however I still have some questions.

How does this boot fare in terms of styling and longetivity. Is this a classic style, or will I look back 3 years from now and ask why did I ever buy these boots? I like the split toe look but it is something I have never seen anyone wear in real life, just wondering if it is a SF fad or not?

We introduced them back in 2007. Three years later, still one of our best selling boots.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...waiian-tanker/

7. iroh

iroh Senior member

We introduced them back in 2007. Three years later, still one of our best selling boots.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...waiian-tanker/

Awesome. Do you have these in a non-cordovan leather? Are these boots regularly in stock?

8. John_

John_ Active Member

Do Aldens ever go on sale or should I just pay the ~$400 for a pair of Balmorals on theshoemart? Also, I'm usually a 12D - do Aldens run true to size?
    On fit: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

9. kmarriner

kmarriner Active Member

If I were looking for a shortwing without a commando sole and not on an aberdeen last, besides blackbird where could I find one?

10. John_

John_ Active Member

Shoe Mart has some on Tremont, Leydon, and Hampton; and boots on Barrie.

11. LeatherSOUL

Awesome. Do you have these in a non-cordovan leather? Are these boots regularly in stock?

We've had them in black calf, brown chromexcel, and natural chromexcel. We also have them on order in dark brown suede. Pictures can be found on our website.

The shell versions are always either in stock or on back order. We currently have a few natural chrome left in stock at both locations.

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Anyone here got a pair on Modified last? If so, how do they compare to Barrie? I know both are suppose to be 1/2 bigger, but I would like to know in addition to the length, if the widths are the same as well. The Barrie last fits me pretty nicely and am thinking about a pair in Modified last.

13. LeatherSOUL

Anyone here got a pair on Modified last? If so, how do they compare to Barrie? I know both are suppose to be 1/2 bigger, but I would like to know in addition to the length, if the widths are the same as well. The Barrie last fits me pretty nicely and am thinking about a pair in Modified last.

General rule of thumb is to get the same size as the Barrie.

14. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

Is there any difference between the Perf. Captoe Balmorals on theshoemart.com and aldenshop.com? Theshoemart specifices Hampton last, but aldenshop does not. Should I order my normal size 12D either way?

15. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

What is the best source for replacement laces for indy's? I broke one of the laces on my black & tan indy this morning. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.