1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Brown CXL PCTs
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. bustert

bustert Senior member

[​IMG]

Cigar LWB - have a great weekend!

1 person likes this.
  3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

A for the shoes... F for the spelling

2 people like this.
  4. mosy

mosy Senior member

5. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Hey guys,

Totally irrelevant question but I always find you guys to be the most helpful. I have just about every shoe color Alden makes...If you had to pick one briefcase color for everyday use what would it be? I wear color 8 most often but my briefcase choices are limited to black, brown, and natural chromexcel for now. I was thinking brown?

6. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Tony from CustomHide will make you almost anything you want and source leather from Horween, namely, #8 CXL if you ask him to.

He will even go as far as letting you design your own bespoke case...

http://www.customhide.com

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I think the 266 Sportsman is just about perfect in terms of shape, organization, size. When I went to buy it, I tried packing it with my stuff for a standard 2 night trip. It almost worked but didn't fit my eagle creek folder. I use it for my shirts, SC, etc. I opted for the Med Travel instead which is only an inch larger in each dimension, but increases the volume signifcantly. I may try out the sportsman again and use the next size smaller folder. Do they still make the 266 sportsman?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

When I bought my #8 LWB's from Lost and Found they ordered me a 10.5E...way too wide. 10.5D fits much better, a little loose in the heel. Length is great.

Good luck.

9. tricky

tricky Senior member

I'm gonna drop by there and try on whatever they have in my size. Starting to go crazy trying to figure this out!

10. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Careful, if they don't have shell they might not fit the same in calf.
    I have a pair of sw boots from LeatherSoul and had to go with a 10.5E.
    So far the Barrie in 10.5D shell fits fine. My J.Crew captoe boots fit the same as the LWB's. My 403's are BIG in 10.5D so I use an insole to make up the room.

11. tricky

tricky Senior member

12. cjones88

cjones88 Member

New to the forum and have been looking to pick up my first pair of Alden LWB's. I was originally going to go with the burnished tan, but it seems like many would recommend Color 8 as a more versatile option. As I started looking up photos of shell LWB's, I stumbled on some photos of the cigar shell color, which I loved, largely because of the contrasting look of the lighter sole edge with the dark shell. Of course the cigar shells are impossible to find. I recently came upon the Color 8 LWB's offered by Bureau Belfast. They have the contrasting sole edges with the Color 8 shell. I think they really look great and am considering ordering. The question I have is are the Bureau LWB's in Color 8 worth approximately a USD $100 premium over the dark edged sole LWB's that are so common here in the U.S.? That is the difference I'd have to pay based on the current exchange rate to have them shipped from Ireland to Atlanta, GA. As an alternative, does anyone know if there are any U.S. Dealers that have the shoe in the same makeup? Link to the shoes is below. Thanks.

https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/4011/color-8-cordovan-long-wing-blucher

13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

leffot offers a similar version once a year or so, but then you're stuck waiting another 6+ months for delivery.

With an assumed Alden price increase at the beginning of the year.. if Bureau has your size, I'd just grab them so you can have them in your hands

14. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Having as it where"dipped my toe" in the world of Aldens I am very pleased with things so far but somewhat confused by the sizings and lasts. Specifically I'm now considering a PTB in shell on the Barrie, I already have (and they fit pretty well) LHS Shell on Van 10E and unlined chukka on Leydon 11E. What suggestions for the Barrie PTB please, 10.5 E?

15. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Although everyone's foot is different, I would think an E width in Barrie would be too wide for you. Question is it a 10 or 10.5. Given you're a 10 in Van, I would try a 10 in Barrie PTB. The PTB can be pretty roomy, even by Barrie standards. If you're ordering stock shell (color 8 / black), many places have a good return policy if it doesn't work out (e.g. TSM)

16. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

And make sure not to crease the shell when trying on or you'll be their new owner whether they fit or not.

17. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Personally, I don't know of one. Most alden retailers have a stock composed of both stock and custom make ups. Its a matter of knowing which stores carry more of one than the other. You will probably have to spend time browsing each site to get an idea of the stock. Look for "Alden x *retailer name here* " assigned to the name of the model. The list previously posted from Alden of San Diego is a great place to start looking.

18. Francks

Francks Senior member

If I am a 8US D in Trubalance for the Indy boots. Am I necessarily the same size for a pair of plain toe boots on the same last? Or even for a given last there are some variations depending on the "style" of shoes?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  19. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Some people say that barrie shoe differ from barrie boots but thats all Ive read about variations on style. If you take away the moc stitching on the indy boot you have a plain toe boot (assuming its on trubalance). So to answer your question, yes, you should be just fine!

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

SOO Many great contributions this week! I would LOVE to individually quote every one of them and express how awesome they all are, but my time doesn't allow me to unfortunately...

My favorites were the pics of the dog face and Aldens, the Zippy crazy collection, and all of the LWBs of course! :)

@smoothie1 the Ravello Cap Toe Boots on the Plaza Last were made for a small shoe store in Scandanavia called Asbjorn Dagestad. They are not too interested in shipping to the US and only do E widths.

Hope that all had a fantastic week!!! :)

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.