1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Thank you sir! Surprisingly these are an older pair that I bought on eBay. They were from Tom Austin NYC (stamped on the insole), which closed their doors in 2012, so they're at least that old. Might have been a darker batch of color 8?

2. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

They still look great! Might have to consider some black shell boots at some point... [​IMG]

3. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

So @mrdv alerted the forum to a potential scam through another user. Today I looked at the conclusion of the two shoes the user had listed (Cigar Indy, Ravello Chukka) and I noticed shill bidding happening in both cases. Same user with no buying/selling history on ebay bidding both shoes up incrementally driving the price up.

Buyer beware.

4. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I own that shoe. It is a beautiful one. They should sell quick!

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks dubs.
    yes, noticed the shill bidder as well.
    disappointing for many reasons. at least the buyers will be protected by paypal if the seller does not deliver the goods.
    fwiw, i sell and buy on ebay ALL the time, 99% of my transactions are fast and easy.

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

congratulations on your first shell boots @NAMOR

careful. you might get addicted. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

More belt upgrades for me today, was at the local Nordstrom and they had a few belts on sale including some AE wide basic belts in suede for $45 CAD. [​IMG] Could not have come at a better time as I am sending back my Epaulet light tan suede belt and wanted one to work with my Alden tan suede. They had a good amount in store though mainly 38-42 sizes left as they said the sale started a few weeks ago on them. Could be worth checking your local store or Nordstrom Rack if you are in need of one.

I ended up buying the bitter chocolate and milkshake suede, though they are sending me the milkshake one in the mail as they did not have my size in store. I will update when it arrives and hopefully it will be an acceptable match.

The bitter chocolate works well with the reverse chamois.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Very nice.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice combo - I have a similar trad suit.

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Looks great.

11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I'd follow Namor's advice -- and all things being equal, the last two would go first IMO.

12. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Wouldn't that be considered "shell bidding"? ;)

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Funny, I own this boot too and it is the only boot I didn't include in my candidates for sale. I wear it more or less every week during the fall and winter and it is my most versatile (I wear it with anything from charcoal dress trousers to denim).

14. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Somehow J. Crew had a pair of size 9 #8 PCT boots on their website this AM. Out of sheer luck, I happened to see they were available. So... although I had NOT been planning to spend that kind of money on a pair of boots right now, I felt as though I could not pass them up... I've been scouring eBay and the marketplace here for months with no luck. As long as I keep them for 5 or more years, I'm OK with the expenditure, I suppose! :slayer: Now to get to saving...

15. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

Does anyone know of a reputable tri-state area cobbler who can take out eyelets and install speed hooks? Thanks. If not
    I'll take any recommendations.

16. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

Do the 975s fit larger than other Barrie last shoes? Just received 975 and they are roomier in the heel vs a Dover in snuff & CXL. Granted the Dovers are unlined, but I thought that would be even more reason for the 975s to fit, if anything, tighter.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ ime, dover fits the "smallest" of the barrie last shoes. the 975 is more the accurate representation of the barrie

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

its never crossed my mind either. i sold off the color 8 version. its surpassingly versatile. i wore them with a suit to a funeral and now with denim. remarkable boot indeed

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:lol: :fonz:

20. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

All of my shell longwings fit slightly roomier than my other Barrie lasted shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.