1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I love eBay and buy/sell tons of things on there but its truly frustrating that the whole auction is essentially who can input the highest amount in the final 10 seconds.

Now this isnt color 2's or anything but just last night I lost out on a shirt I was leading for a while becuase the auction ended at 3am my time. I cant stay up till 3am just for a shirt, so I input what I thought would win it for me. I lost by 50 cents.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Great point DV.

This is how I feel as well. This thread and others like it on SF are basically a Knowledge-Base for the sartorially minded.

As much of this kind of thing that we can keep in the Community is best IMO.

The; "Man on the Street" who may not share our strong clothing sentiments, can be reached, and encouraged, and even taught how to properly dress himself through the Fora.

I view SF as not only a place of self expression, but of knowledge, and history in fine men's clothing. The most profound thing is that this is "Organic History"....ever modifying itself through the members here. And expanding.

This is why it is such a tremendous resource for us to have Adam from @Alden of Carmel with us now.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Got to set up a snipe. Tis the way of the times

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

We've had other retailers in this thread before, Tom from LS, the owner of Unipair & now Adam. Will not have any bearing on supply & demand in the secondary market.

5. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

What I am suggesting is that when Grail shoes and boots go to people outside the Fora, although they may indeed get worn, the pictorial and anthropological development of the footwear is somewhat lost.

Case in Point: yesterday I found out my whiskey WT boots shipped, I know @MrDV has some and others as well. I was curious about how they looked in a real life situation. I post asking to see them and boom they appear.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I think someone has the right to sell something they obviously have not worn if the market happens to reward the seller so be it. To me that's different than say buying something from someone (sf member) with the sole intention of flipping it.

7. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I always figured the "free" ones were some kinda scam that was going to steal my credentials. Wouldnt even know where to start with one of these programs. [​IMG]

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

First Aldens in years... decided to finally take them out of the box and inspect them (moving) and the tongue is a bit off kilter on each shoe.

I'm not sure why I actually expected them to be 100%. (They were a shell pre-order FWIW).

9. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Its interesting to debate this.
    My two cents is this:

I see both of these scenarios as ok.
    Said person buys them and wear them, then sell them after a while because they are no longer getting use.
    or
    Said person buys them with the intention of wearing them but they sit in the box for two years at which point they sell them.
    Both of these points the buyer has the intention of using them for themselves.

I see this as incorrect.
    Said person buys rare shell or other from a vendor, sometimes in multipe sizes with the direct intention of listing them for a profit.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I don't blame the seller, I blame the people who are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for "rare" shoes which are ready-made in leathers that can be obtained more cheaply from better makers. The sellers are just taking advantage of irrational buyers.

11. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

My apologies to those who were watching the auction prior to my post. I didn't think about the repercussions and I also hope one of our valued posters didn't get outbid by a "New Jack".

On the other hand however, I view this as place to discuss the crazy world of Alden's and to me, that includes the "second hand" market demand.

12. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Some TLC after getting caught in heavy rain yesterday.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Sorry Keith.... ;)

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

^^^This is exactly the kind of thing we need in this thread. On SF in general. Excellent information Sir. Priceless really.

15. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Cigar family
    From Left to Right
    AoM - 2015
    AoC - 2014
    AoM - 2010
    SanFran - 2008

[​IMG]

..and the new Cap toe boot in the sun

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Lol really awesome

17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

^^^Thanks for the pics Sir.

The progression, or digression of the Cigar shade may not entirely be Aldens fault.

I have in my possession several cordovan swatches from other shoemakers around the world.

Both using Horween. And both swatches have Cigar. And the darkest shade on both of these swatches besides black is indeed Cigar.

What I am saying is that this Neo-Cigar shade is due to Horween and not Alden.

Thanks.

18. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I strongly prefer chocolate cigar to babyshit cigar, and I can't be the only one. It could be that Horween changed the tanning due to poor feedback.

19. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I like the AofC 2014 shade.

20. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Always nice to hear how members feel. I truly appreciate how civilized and respectful we are with each other.

I would claim that the Barrie size 10 crowd is the best of the bunch, but everyone I've ever pmed with has been top notch.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.