1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alden of Carmel

Alden of Carmel Well-Known Member

Hi Ed

[​IMG]
    Probably not a good chance we will re-introduce AF9. Maybe Yenni would consider it at Brick + Mortar.

I agree that it is/was an all-time great (circa 1998, Aberdeen last, with hand sewing on the heel). How that shoe came about: I was working at the Robert Talbott tie store in Carmel (our shop was around the corner), and a guy came in wearing some really nice Norwegian front slip-ons, probably by some European maker. I had never seen a Norwegian front slip-on, and that is where the idea came from. I asked Alden if they could make a similar shoe for Alden of Carmel, and the result was AF9. I don't know whether they had previously made a similar shoe for another retailer or not. I know other stores have sold it since, but the Aberdeen last version is the best in my opinion. We also sold it in black shell cordovan (AF13) and in brown alpine grain calfskin (AF14?). We then re-introduced it in snuff suede at J.Gilbert Footwear five or six years ago.

Adam

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. Louispph

Louispph Member

[​IMG]

why not go for carmina ruby shell?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Hmm, I guess I was too far down the list in my size if all of them have come in. Maybe next year. :confused:

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Hmm, I guess I was too far down the list in my size if all of them have come in. Maybe next year. [​IMG]

Sounds like they just got them in. So it will probably take a day or two for the top listers, then if they decline, go from there. I think she gives a week to decide. Any other 11.5Ds waiting?

5. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

6. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Hopefully there are some 9D folks out there that decide against taking delivery. Perhaps I'll see a call from a 202 area code in the next week or so pop up on my cell.

7. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I'm #2 on the DC list. Maybe I'll kop and sell off the one that is less aesthetically pleasing. (with the AoM order)

8. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

That's the color 8 LWB (975 model)... I sold my Leffot color 8 LWB's and replaced them with the King - love the 'classic' look of them

9. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

I have a question about how you gentleman pack your Alden boots and shoes for air travel. I'm eloping to Maui in about two weeks and I was wondering the best way to pack my favorite shoes. Shoe trees obviously but I worry about the shape of them being ruined due to the packing. Recommendations please? And yes I will be visiting leather soul on Oahu.

10. katch

katch Senior member

i usually tree them, put them in felt bags and pack them at the top of the suitcase.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Be careful if they're shell. I had a pair of shells in a duffle bag (car trip), and the pressure of the bag on the shoe (through the felt bags) produced an indentation of the duffle bags texture on the heel counter. I now carry on my shoes when I fly.

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

@Matty123 Shoe Tree's and Dust Bags all the way.

You should certainly take great care in packing them if they are dear to you.

Shell should be fine as long as they are properly packed.

Thanks.

13. odessaboots

odessaboots Active Member

If the weight of the tree's becomes a concern, I have had great luck with packing my Alden's with the smaller soft goods I am bringing i.e. socks, undershirts, etc. like you would newspaper after it rains. Not only does this help provide support for the shoe, but the "give" of these allows the leather to flex a bit more than a tree allows, so you avoid the danger of luggage mishandling.

Always in felt bags after stuffing....

2 people like this.
  14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

15. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

16. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

This is usually what I do to avoid extra weight & take up less space. The travel shoe trees look like a good option too though

17. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

JR Magat is correct, they are the 975. I debated a long time about the Leffot version on antique for both the LWB and Dover vs the 975 and 990. I settled on getting the King 975 and the Leffot Dover and could not be more happy with the choice. To fill the wingtip on antique void I plan on getting the Hallack from Unionmade at some point in the future.

Stories like this are so fantastic, it is really a pleasure to have you on the forum Adam.

1 person likes this.
  18. loxo

loxo Senior member

I am in on a couple of GMTO's through Epaulet for some earth chamois shoes and I am planning ahead for how to care for them. Is there a common consensus about the right product(s) for chamois leather? With oiled suede I wasn't sure if saphir renovateur spray or some sort of nano protector would be necessary?

19. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Does anyone know how to clean shoe bags? It looks like I have either some red wine or some shoe polish on mine and I have no idea how to get it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.