1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

I haven't read back in the thread to see what exactly you are talking about but Yenni has a order for #8 Grant last wingtip boots on commando with antique edges. To my understanding they were submitted as plaza last but got changed to Grant.
    I believe she said they will be fall 2015 delivery.
    I look forward to the pair I have a deposit on!

Also I think Madison has also done #8 Grant WT boots?

Edited to add: Grant last is my absolute favorite last from Alden.
    Hands.
    Down.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

I got engaged wearing the Grant last, but met her on Barrie. I'll most likely be married wearing Hampton. Lots of special memories involving Aldens.

2 people like this.
  3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

This is classic!

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Ravello LWB today. I had this resoled from crepe to double Dainite (with a midsole). It's so chunky now, I love it. It's also got the dark mahogany welt.

My other Ravello LWB is on double leather with an antique welt and edge, so they complement each other well.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

[​IMG]

TSM snuff PCT boot

12 people like this.
  6. tanbar

tanbar Senior member

Damn, I was considering those, but was on the fence about Plaza.

7. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gents,

I am still zeroing in my Grant size. I believe it is 10EE. That is what I take in Aberdeen.

I have a 10E that is a bit tight. Alden's fit differently across the board from shoes to boots.

And then, even more so from bals to bluchers. This has been my experience after owning a few pairs.

8. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Yep, Ben is right. But i am not sure if that order has confirmed or not.

9. neelp3

neelp3 Senior member

I would be VERY interested in this pair of wingtip boots, any chance the pre-order is still open?

10. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

Quote:just send email to leffot when the pre order begin. They will arrive with those normal size together.

11. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

I think its full but it doesnt hurt to ask. Just shoot an email to Yenni.

12. gr789

gr789 Senior member

Really nice. More pics please. Would love to see these from the side to see the chunky soles!

1 person likes this.
  13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

It really is a shame that Alden does not have any Dainite offerings...the chunky aesthetic fits Alden perfectly IMO.

2 people like this.
  14. gr789

gr789 Senior member

I have these and the tongue is unlined suede and never stays in place! Do you have the same issue? If so, do you do anything about it? I have seen some SFers build a leather tongue fastener and others get a cobbler to sew it in place.

15. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Ravello LWBs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. gr789

gr789 Senior member

Totally agree. I have a few commando and I like them. But I like Dainite better because of the profile.

17. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Took some more pics for you gents. Sorry for the quality - I don't have good light here unless it's daytime.

I took these (which used to have a crepe sole) over to a local cobbler here in Chicago (Beehive Shoeworks). I was impressed with the quality of their work on other projects I'd had done, so I decided to take a chance on these with them. They were far cheaper than B.Nelson and had Dainite.

I requested the crepe soles to be completely replaced with a Dainite sole, double leather midsoles, and I asked them not to stitch through the Dainite. They said that was okay, and actually told me that they usually do not stitch all the way through double Dainite, especially when there is a midsole. I also requested that they clean up the welt edges (which were rather worn and faded) and put on a dark brown finish on the edges.

Needless to say, they fulfilled my requests exactly and I was quite pleased. Total cost was $125. The same service at B.Nelson would have been over $200 (I checked).

These are SUPER chunky and have a really commanding presence. I love it.

As you can see, I took pictures of one shoe from the resoled pair next to one shoe from my other pair of Ravello LWBs, which are on a normal double leather sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

wow, love the rolls and shine! your two ravellos def compliment each other. maybe consider color 8 as well?

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

At this point, I'm basically trying to decide between two things:

(1) Alden Color #8 LWB (just sold my Florsheim LWB so I don't have a burgundy shell LWB, but I do have AE cambridges in burgundy shell so I do have a burgundy shell shoe)
    (2) Carmina Color #2 captoe bal (very bold color which I'm slightly concerned about wearing to work at my business casual law firm)

20. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

I do not have a problem with the tongues on these boots.
    I do however have the problem you're describing with another pair of Alden boots. I have not tried doing anything to fix it. I just let the tongue shift and don't worry about it. They are just shoes after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.