1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90shilling

90shilling Senior member

Yep - Barrie last. I took my normal Barrie size (half down from my Brannock) and they fit slightly more snug than my 975's.

2. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

thanks to all for letting me know

3. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I wonder if J. Crew will ever do a restock on that boot. Their Alden selection of late doesn't impress.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Check out the selection of Shell on BB - it's terrible - Alden doesn't seem to be delivering to their big corporate accounts right now.

5. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Maybe they have taken exception to the J. Crew in house imitation line.

I've always wondered what the profit margin is for retailers. I assume it is set because Alden sets retail price.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm sure that BB's margin has gone down as Alden has come into its own due to all the forum and blog exposure. I long for the days when Brooks offered a huge selection of Alden made shoes in various patterns, lasts, and leathers. It's a shame that you can no longer get an Alden Balmoral WT or cap toe in brown and black calf from BB.

I'm honestly shocked that BB hasn't dropped Alden shell for AE. Their (AE's) horrid QC must be too much for Brooks to take.

7. 1wb

1wb Senior member

It has appeared for a while that BB has dropped Alden shell. Take a look at the sizes available for any of the remaining shell models -- they don't appear to have restocked any shell models in a couple of years. Unless you are after a black loafer (tassel, full strap or LHS), you will find very few remaining common sizes & widths.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

They had a huge huge huge size run of the unlined LHS, tassel, and full strap not that long ago. I've never seen such a comprehensive run on any shoe anywhere - 7A-12EEE all in stock at the same time in both #8 and black. I should have purchased duplicate pairs in my proper narrow size. I'm hoping they do another restock of the PTB and cap toe Barlmoral.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

good luck! id hire you on the spot!

assuming the interview went well and the background check passed

10. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Nice. I would be very interested in these if they were a 13E.

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Getting quirky at the Bureau...

[​IMG]

12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

^^ I dig them, and would grab them if they had my size.

I am surprised they are recommending Leydon size to match barrie/TB though.. I definitely needed to go TTS

1 person likes this.
  13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah leydon true to size for sure, i even need an e width. and i go down a 1/2 size and width for barrie (ideally)

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

For sure. Minus .5 from brannock would be unwearable in d width, and I take a b width after sizing down (probably, ideally) in the Barrie.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Never ordered from Bureau Belfast but they do not have accurate info on their product. For &)&(sake Horween kudu is NOT antelope already.

16. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

"Kudu is a rare Antelope leather which has an uneven colour and oily appearance and is supremely soft while still being hard wearing."

HAHAHAHAH
    [​IMG]

17. breck81

breck81 Senior member

The Kudu is a type of antelope, but i'm fairly certain the leather used isnt from actual Kudu antelopes. I could be wrong.

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

You aren't. Alden "Kudu" is not antelope.

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Great looking PCT Boots! Glad that you are keeping warm in your boots!

Looking great in your Color 8 Chukka Boot today! Fun to see how we inspire shoe selection...

Holy crud that is a big picture! Hope that your interview went well, your shoes were very stylish and classy.

Great Whiskey LHS and great sock combination!

I love your tiny font disclaimer NAMOR.

-Mike

20. RobinM

RobinM Senior member

Profit or not depends on the retail operational cost. Regardless, retail list is near 100% over wholesale. As an interesting point of reference, that is about the same for Rolex. Wholesale is about 55% of list price. Next time when you walk by the fancy jewellers, you know who is paying the rent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.