1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Regarding the snuff chukka - I love my pair, and find the Leydon to be one of Alden's best lasts for my feet. Given that I have a very narrow heel and a somewhat less narrow forefoot, I'd expect that lots of people would benefit from trying an E width.

2. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

All good points. I have a somewhat normal heel, but wider forefoot and do take an E width in my brannock TTS size for Leydon.

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

The cure is other Alden's my friend. I don't really even notice waiting anymore.

3 people like this.
  4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Thanks Bud! I absolutely love those Rivets. They go great with so many shades and Cigar is no exception.

-Mike

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

while it does, I think having 5-6 preorders that could all hit at the same time would suck more

6. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

I have a 3E width... Otherwise I would have a few pairs on hand

7. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

These are gorgeous.

8. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to McArthur?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I am wearing mine today....picked up an E width on ebay to try for sizing and they seem to work....TTS in D width also works for me in the tan suede chukkas I picked up from another member....they are great for the warmer weather....highly recommend.

10. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

Like Mdubs, I too have a pair that has some iterating stitching around the ankle....withy a few wears I either got used to the rub or they conformed to my legs and no longer bother me.....I wear mine exclusively without socks and love how they fit and feel

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

tax season he goes hard with work

12. tb43

tb43 Well-Known Member

Really appreciate the responses on the snuff chukkas- I have one more question.

I am deciding between them or the snuff ptb. Which would you prefer to wear more a little "dressed up" with business casual? I typically wear standard wool dress pants and a dress shirt, nothing crazy. I am hoping that one of these shoes can be worn as part of the work rotation.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

If they're both on the Leydon, I'd take the PTB. If the PTB is on the Barrie, I'd go with the chukka. The combo of Barrie last, suede, and unlined makes for an ultra casual shoe - about as casual as a welted leather sole shoe could be IMO.

14. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I think the unlined PTB is more easy to dress up than the chukka....for casual wear the chukka is hard to beat

the sizing is tricky on the PTBs though.....for me they do not fit like other barrie-lasted shoes and I went TTS

15. gosheik

gosheik Well-Known Member

Gents, my Cordovan chukkas seem to be ready for their first restoration (or resoles). They've seen twice a week wear for 21 months, before a small hole has started to show on one of the soles and the heel pads show major wear towards the back.

I don't know how worthwhile the entire restoration will be given I just need new soles and the leather condition is excellent, but curious how this compares with others' experiences and if people generally opt to use a reputable cobbler for the resole in lieu of the restoration in cases like mine.

The biggest deterrent is using a cobbler, then later being denied Alden's restoration service when I really need it. Thanks in advance!

16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

delete

17. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

Deleted

18. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

@Mdubs :slayer::slayer::slayer:

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Alden restoration is a really great deal but I have only had a need to use them on shoes I purchased second-hand. To me, a big part of the value is the refinishing, and I like the way my new color 8's patina naturally over time. For that reason, any color 8's that I've owned from the beginning, I have always used a local cobbler for resoles.

20. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I've had my pair for about 4 years now and wear them frequently from the spring through the fall. I've never had an issue with the stitching bothering my feet and find them super comfortable. The snuff color is great as well and works with just about everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.