1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I wear the same size in both. (Though the indy is TB and the tanker is barrie, most go same size on those 2)

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I wear a 7.5D in Trubalance and a snug 7.5D in Barrie Shoes. I did notice the Tanker was quite tight in 7.5D (not sure it is due to the welt, some people say Barrie boots fit tighter than Barrie shoes though), I ended up selling and going to and 8D which feels much better. 7.5E might have worked as well but did not get a chance to try it

3. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

I'm a 9.5 on both TB and Barrie, although a C width on my Indy and a regular D on my wingtip boot. The wingtip had a split reverse welt, but I can't imagine it being that different for the flat welt on the tanker. I went with my normal Barrie size today.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I do not know how a Welt could impact sizing honest. The shoes are made over forms that essentially form the shape of the shoe and correspondingly determine the size that the shoe comes out. I don't see how a flat versus a split reverse welt could possibly impact sizing unless a mistake is made welting...

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I've never heard this, over many years of being into Aldens, until it was mentioned on this thread. I think there's more pair to pair fit varience with Alden than could ever possibly be attributed to the welt. I've literally never heard of this with any other brand, and I've never once had a shoemaker suggest this could be a possibility.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Internet BS most likely. Machine lasted shoes have such a variance of fit, I have no doubt that people have had tighter storm welted, tighter flat welted, tighter 270 degree storm welted, ... and every permutation possible, but it doesn't have anything to due with the welt.

1 person likes this.
  7. sammy

sammy Senior member

Maiden voyage for my 403s.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks everyone! I went with the same size in the tanker today. I'm super excited especially since my indys are a touch on the roomy side.

9. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

my chukka on reserve welt look and fit 0.5~1 larger than my cap toe boot on same size, both barrie last... i am sure the reserve welt will make the boot more roomy

1 person likes this.
  10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yeah, the Chukka pattern is a weird one for sizing on folks, which is made worse by the fact that it only has two eyelets to secure its fit.

-M

11. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

i end up by wearing thick sock and didnt return them as it is a cigar chukka...lol

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Yep, it's an upper issue not a welt issue.

13. refuge85

refuge85 New Member

I'm not sure any of these were responding to my post re: my 3 pairs of Indys but this is the type of variation that I haven't heard about from anybody. As mentioned though, chukkas and cap toes is apples and oranges I suppose.

14. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

you are right

15. refuge85

refuge85 New Member

Excuse the double post but I don't want it to get further buried while were on the subject. I'm also aware that it's a possibility that different soles = different gait

16. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I really can't see any possible reason why the sole or welt would impact fit and (as I said) it has never been mentioned to me. One thing that does impact fit, however, is hand-sewn toe detailing. It bunches up leather in the toe box making for it slightly smaller. Another thing that impacts fit is shoe-to-shoe variance in the lasting process. Another, another, thing is the modulus of elasticity of the leather used for the upper. None of these, under any general circumstance, would produce a fit difference on the range of .5-1 full size.

17. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

sorry, wrong thread!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  18. 1up

1up Senior member

What offer is this now?

19. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

I am so happy that i can get on the bus for the shell tanker again, together with the colour 8 naval boot pre order 2months ago

20. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

whoops, wrong Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.