• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say the Indy Shoe is probably one of my least favorite Aldens.
peepwall[1].gif

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
peepwall[1].gif

I have to agree. . .but only in its current form. As the previous poster said, I think with a different sole and last you could make a pretty nice shoe.

BTW Tom, what do you think about the suggestion of using the Horween navy blue leather on an Alden makeup like some of us were just talking about?

darnold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
u-tip wayyyy better ... indy shoe looks too clunky

The term gets thrown around alot, but to me Indy just means Alden U-tip. You can change (and retailers have changed) pretty much anything else about the original 405 and still call it an Indy; its the apron that defines the design.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnold
I suspect a large part of the reason why people might think this is: A) Trubalance doesn't translate well to an oxford B) The neoprene sole takes over (in a not so good way) in an oxford I don't see any reason why an apron toe blucher can't be done well and be a damn fine lookin' shoe. Support for my case: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...-cigar-u-tips/
Those U-tips are on the Leydon Last, which is sleeker than Trubalance by several orders of magnitude (at least for Aldens). Also they would have been better as NSTs.
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Here's Tom's version. It's not all that bad. http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...shoe/#comments
Yes it is. No offense Tom.
peepwall[1].gif

None taken? She shoe looks poorly-proportioned as a blucher instead of a boot, no matter how sleek Tom's make up is. The big toe and the relatively fat laces make it look clunky. I know there are some people on the forum who won't even wear the Trubalance last. That said, I love my 403s. Moving along... Edit: I do remember liking Tom's Hawaiian stompers, and still do. Something about the tonal stitching and the chunky sole.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
I have to agree. . .but only in its current form. As the previous poster said, I think with a different sole and last you could make a pretty nice shoe.

BTW Tom, what do you think about the suggestion of using the Horween navy blue leather on an Alden makeup like some of us were just talking about?

I wish it were that easy. Alden is a pretty large operation. Logistically it is very difficult to introduce a new shade of shell since there is such a large demand. Much easier for a company such as Vass or Rider to make a special run for a customer.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Hmmm...I was joking around about #4, but a navy shell longwing is an idea I could get behind. The rest of the shades, meh. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Speaking of different cordovan colors, Bureau Belfast has some Red, Burgandy and Orange cordovan models of Tricker's available.

http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop...or-the-bureau/

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
I wish it were that easy. Alden is a pretty large operation. Logistically it is very difficult to introduce a new shade of shell since there is such a large demand. Much easier for a company such as Vass or Rider to make a special run for a customer.

Though I love me some Alden shell, what about a non-shell navy leather, Tom? I personally would be intrigued by a navy boot or shoe of some sort. Could be interesting.

crp709

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
anyone have any ideas as to the cause of heel pain experienced when wearing indy boots? would it imply the boots are too small or too big, or could it be the way i walk? i'm not talking about blistering caused by rubbing - it would best be described as a bruise. the boots don't slip when i walk, and fit relatively well in the toe area (could maybe be a smidge bigger). i am wearing wool socks. it's only happening in my left foot, and it's the back of the heel (i'm quite satisfied with fit of the right boot). i can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. this is my second pair of indy's (went from 8.5 -> 9) and i am quite frustrated with sizing.

as i mostly wear desert boots, which are very unstructured, i figured there'd be some adjustment period for my feet going to the fairly rigid indy's, but i've probably worn them a dozen times or so which should be sufficient.

i read how comfy everyone says their indy's are. i dunno, maybe these just aren't for me, as much as i love the looks.

any luck with your heel problem?

HorseHide

Reaction score

Nick Horween took me on a tour at the Horween plant here and I saw some beautiful shell colors that they make up on a special order basis. Amazing stuff.

My bet is that another reason that Alden sticks with 2 primary colors (black and #8), 2 secondary colors (cigar, ravello and whiskey) and maybe a special run here or there (Tom's #4 for example) is cost. I'm betting that Horween gets a premium for the special colors (as they should) and that doesn't work from Alden's perspective - they can't charge enough to justify the additional costs.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Though I love me some Alden shell, what about a non-shell navy leather, Tom? I personally would be intrigued by a navy boot or shoe of some sort. Could be interesting.

Or it could be awful - I'm going with awful.
laugh.gif

rolling green

Reaction score
my alden roy boots seem to be a little too red/orange for my attire, can anyone suggest a way to darken or brown them up a few shades? What would be the best way? I tried a portion of kiwi brown on the toungue and made no difference. Thanks for the help

triumphman

Reaction score
rolling green...try obenaufs...will darken the leather.
moisten your roy's and they will somewhat look similar.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Nick Horween took me on a tour at the Horween plant here and I saw some beautiful shell colors that they make up on a special order basis. Amazing stuff. My bet is that another reason that Alden sticks with 2 primary colors (black and #8), 2 secondary colors (cigar, ravello and whiskey) and maybe a special run here or there (Tom's #4 for example) is cost. I'm betting that Horween gets a premium for the special colors (as they should) and that doesn't work from Alden's perspective - they can't charge enough to justify the additional costs.
I think it has more to do with lack of supply. it doesn't make sense for a company as large as Alden to order enough shell to make 20 pairs of shoes. just not enough ROI in real dollars to make it worth their while. for a similar reason, it's probably why Allen Edmonds only goes with 2 primary shell colors. re: cost, judging by how fast ravello and whiskey special makeups fly off the shelves at leathersoul et al, they could probably charge MORE.

Bartolo

Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif

There's a different between "least favorite" and true "dislike," and I won't put you on the spot.

One can love all flavors of ice cream, and yet one of them has to be the "least favorite."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads