1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I'm more into casual wear so the antique edges work well for me. In fact, more than 50% of the year, I wear jeans (I'm in the engineering consulting business). However, I imagine if one wears dress pants more often than not, the 975 might be better. You can't go wrong either either. The 975 is obviously a stock model vs the Leffot version, which comes by once or twice a year in limited quantities.

2. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

+1 With my massively wide feet, even my one pair of Aberdeens, at EEE width, look like TB [​IMG]

3. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Rarely wear black shoes these days, but J.Crew cadets got the call today
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    4 people like this.
  4. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Is it me, or is JCrew's Ludlow line of shoes suspiciously Alden-esque?

JCrew Ludlow

They are obviously not quite the same with a different leather supplier and no cordovan, but very similar looks.

5. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I think they're doing this for a variety of reasons.

1. Backlash over higher end items for a non-luxury brand.
    2. Accessibility for more folks (I guess related to point 1).
    3. Cheaper manufacturing costs and higher profit margin than Alden.
    4. Sales have been on the decline since 2012/2013 so they need to get creative. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I noticed they also stopped selling Alden shoe trees and instead sell the same ones with their own label. The guy who was a sneakerhead/ shoehead there (owns over 500 pairs of shoes) recently left. I wonder what's in store for them moving forward.

6. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I briefly owned the Ludlow wingtips in cigar brown (didn't even realize Alden had a 'cigar' at the time), and style-wise they are pretty much knockoffs of Alden LWBs (differences I noticed were the wing tip doesn't go as high/pointed, and different medallion design), but they just felt lower quality overall so I sold them after a few wears.

J.Crew obviously had their design team rip off Alden designs like their Pacer boot (Indiana Pacers...?) but there must be a market for them as a more affordable option to their Alden line.

7. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

You're lucky! I wish I could wear jeans to work more often, but overall my engineering job is pretty casual where chinos are the standard. I have been trying to add more dress pants to my wardrobe, and for that reason I decided to sell my leffot kings and bought 975's to replace them. I still really like the look of color 8 + antique edging, so might jump on the next leffot tanker pre-order when it comes around next.

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

ravello lwb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

Nice! Although I can do without the hot day in NYC.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I can do without hot, too. Alden for BB shortwings today:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. gr789

gr789 Senior member

I am headed to Washington DC soon and am wondering if any of you gentlemen have been to Alden of DC lately. Any rare shell or any other interesting make-ups there?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

12. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Exotic shell is tougher to find than water in California at the moment. Never know when you get lucky though. They have interesting make-ups there and if anything, its a good chance to meet Kathy, get on a few lists and browse the shop. They're good people there.

13. Curbed Enthusiasm

Curbed Enthusiasm Active Member

I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't see any shell other than black and color 8.

14. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Thanks for finding that and thanks for your kind comment!

@mdubs has an excellent point here, those AF53 are size 6E. The silhouette will probably look much sleeker in a narrow width or a larger size with D width.

Nothing exotic at Alden DC currently, Kathy did get in some black Indy boot on the grant last a few months back. She also got in some whiskey LWB 1-2 months ago, but those are probably all sold. It doesn't hurt to inquire about your size though, who knows what else is hiding in that giant storage room. I don't think she is doing any new exotic shell makeup besides the already known ravello and cigar captoe boots on grant, those lists run fairly long. She might be making a color 8 wingtip boot on Barrie with commando sole and antique edging if anyone is interested.

-D

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't see any shell other than black and color 8.

There usually won't be any display models as they're almost all spoken for (the rare shell). But if you ask about them Kathy will usually show you an example if they happen to have one. Maybe a return or something or still in the process of contacting folks. Hoping to drop by again sometime this summer.

16. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

There's just a long lead time for new whiskey, ravello, and cigar shell. The name of this game is patience. No patience, pay the eBay premium.

17. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Patience is also what allows the wallet to recover [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  18. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Unless you discover other brands, like Viberg and Epaulet for example :D.

-D

1 person likes this.
  19. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

THIS. But i'm also impatient... so i'm basically screwed [​IMG]

20. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I'm a casual guy and brand loyal. Even with restaurants, if I like one with Mexican, Italian, Indian, whatever, I stick to it. In the case of shoes, I like Aldens and for sneakers, I'm an Air Jordan 1 fan. I buy all my clothes from J. Crew and have a minimal rotation. I mentioned I wear jeans alot - I have 2 pairs of raw denim I stick to. I guess I spend money on quality and focus less on quantity. Makes life easier for me in the morning. Shoes are the only item I rotate constantly.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.