1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

With all due respect, I don't understand this Shell obsession. I have only one pair of aldens, and I like them very much and intend on buying more.

I had the opportunity to buy some shell LWBs from Alden DC, and passed and instead chose to buy some in Kudu. It was my first time seeing shell, and honestly, it looked like the cheap plasticy leather one finds on sub 100 dollar shoes.

I read on these forums that you shouldn't get it wet either.

This is one fashion trend that I will allow to pass me by. My wallet probably will thank me...

1 person likes this.
  2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Shell Alden's with a tux? No thanks. Not just for the leather, but the lasts and styles are totally orthogonal to a good black tie shoe.

3. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Suggest you read this article and watch the video.

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/cordovan-leather-from-horween/

It's actually low maintenance, very durable and long-lasting if cared for properly.

4. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

More shell for us then. No, seriously, what's nice about the Alden universe is that there is something for just about everyone. If shell is not your thing, there are well made shoes available in traditional materials (e.g., burnished tan calfskin) in traditional designs. There are rugged materials for folks who want a workhorse shoe.

The rationale for acquiring shell, IMHO, lies in the subtleties of patina that develop after 1-2 years. This requires a leap of faith at first and a shift in perspective away from buying shoes just so they're nice and shiny. I like Alden because the traditional styles they employ can be dressed up or down easily and because they are well built. I don't need shoes that look "on trend" or tell the world I'm made of money. My recommendation would be to buy the 975 in classic color 8. Don't baby it and see how the shades of burgundy and eggplant morph over a couple years. The shoes might come to feel both like a solid traditional item that a man shouldn't be without and like something that bears your own distinctive signature (like a favorite pair of worn and faded jeans). Just my .02

4 people like this.
  5. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I have heard this criticism many times. And I understand this perspective, as there is a something to it, especially to the uniniated. The look of shell is not for everyone, and it could be jarring if you are accustomed to fine vegetable tanned European leathers only.

Some enjoy shell cordovan, and it is a distinct look. I think it has its place. But to me, it is not the pinnacle of shoemaking. Although I like the casual look and appreciate the durability and comfort of shell.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Shell has been popular for many years due to its toughness and resiliency. There does not exist a leather that looks as good as Shell after only a quick wipe with a damp paper towel. That's why I tend to wear shell. The idea that shell requires esoteric care (deer bones, expensive special Saphir "cordovan cream" etc.) showed up on the forums within the last decade.

7. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Thanks for info @Bbombers85

I have seen and read that before. All this further reinforces the idea that much untrue myth and lore surrounds shell cordovan leather.

My understanding is the shell was originally developed for its highly resilient properties, namely, water and scuff resistance.

We have essentially turned Cordovan into a sartorial novelty that is highly sought after for its intrinsic beauty. That is to say; we baby our shell way too much.

Which practice is ok so long as we are reminded regularly of the rich history this leather has, a history of durability and ruggedness.

It seems that we are constantly refuting erroneous views regarding this leather and then seeking to renovate people's thinking with facts and not mythology.

Perhaps one would find it advantageous to compose a FAQ blog or SF thread filled with realities by the experts of shell cordovan containing the history, values and strengths and maybe most of all the myths surrounding this very special leather that we all enjoy so well.

Thanks.

8. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

I'm second on the list for next batch.

9. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

I really like the look of shell on a well used pair. Shells do look a bit plastic when new, but that goes away after a couple of wears.

1 person likes this.
  10. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I like new looking shoes.
    Shell, suede, jordans, the newer the better.

I also wash my car every week.

2 people like this.
  12. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

New this morning. Surprised this hasn't been nabbed yet. Reasonable price IMO. If it were an 11.5, I'd B.I.N.:

[​IMG]

11 watchers already.

Check out this seller - he seems to be unloading several Aldens in this size.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. tanbar

tanbar Senior member

A pair of CIGAR lhs on ebay...look closely where they're from [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I'm with you. For something to last decades, you treat it well. I wipe down my shoes after each wear and brush at the end of the week. That being said, I don't fret over normal wear. I just don't go out of my way to be careless with them.

My Ravello captoes seem to have been delivered. Photos tonight!

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Plus your car is shoe shaped!

16. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Ha, true.

17. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Must be colour 8. We all know Sherman Brothers doesn't get any rare shell, nor does anyone else for that matter!! YOU ARE ALL BEING DUPED!

18. katch

katch Senior member

Wish me luck... Just put an offer in on a pair of Color 8 WT Boots that the original owner sent to BNelson for Dainite conversion.

1 person likes this.
  19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I mostly agree with this. :fistbump:

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I know you are joking, but they are from 2010. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.