• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinM

Reaction score
I wish someone did a Dover in Ravello or Whiskey. I'd kill for that. Prefer a Dover over the PTB.

Alden Dover style is a common type of plain toe Blucher. Not common for Alden, but absolutely the norm for almost every other shoemaker.

Technically, the standard Alden 'PTB' is a 'whole-cut' Blucher. A standard for Alden, yet not so common elsewhere (except maybe the famous Church's Shannon).

Once I asked Vass to do a MTO whole-cut Blucher (i.e. Alden style PTB) in saddle shell, and was told the size of the shell they have was not large enough for a whole-cut PTB. They could make a Dover style (Vass London style) by stitching pieces of smaller shell though.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hey guys, quick question about your barrie lwb sizing. I bought a pair of Jcrew 975s in 8.5D and a pair of Cigar LWB a couple days later in 9D. I wasn't sure of my barrie lwb sizing. I take a 8.5D in Marlows and 9D in Jcrew barrie PCT boots and Jcrew shell chukkas.

I received the Jcrew 975 in 8.5D first, and they fit very well. Nice and comfortable in the toe box with no heel slipping (or very very slight with thin socks).

Then my Shoemart cigar lwb in 9D arrived and I was expecting them to be too big, but when I tried them on, they fit me exactly the same as the 8.5D Jcrew 975s. I lined up the two pairs, and I had to squint to see the small difference in size.

This was the complete opposite of my marlow experience where 8.5D was good but 9D's were way too big (significant amount of heel slipping).

Am I doing this shoe fitting thing right? Now I'm doubting the fit of all my shoes. When I compare my actual foot size and the size either one of the LWBs, I think the LWBs are a good 3-4 inches longer than my actual foot. But the guy at Sherman Brothers also believes that I belong in either a 8.5D or 9D which is weird because my brannock size is somewhere between those two.

Keep the cigars? Very minor heel slipping with thin socks but maybe once they break they'll become too big?

They really won't break in and become much larger than they are now. Even though I am in the right size barrie I don't wear thin socks with them because the last is just so generous. I probably could drop to a 7.5 and be able to wear thin socks, but I think the length would be off. If you just need to wear a bit thicker sock with the Cigars, I'd keep them. I have some really thin socks and some thicker socks. I normally wear the same types with the same shoes all the time.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question about your barrie lwb sizing. I bought a pair of Jcrew 975s in 8.5D and a pair of Cigar LWB a couple days later in 9D. I wasn't sure of my barrie lwb sizing. I take a 8.5D in Marlows and 9D in Jcrew barrie PCT boots and Jcrew shell chukkas.

I received the Jcrew 975 in 8.5D first, and they fit very well. Nice and comfortable in the toe box with no heel slipping (or very very slight with thin socks).
Then my Shoemart cigar lwb in 9D arrived and I was expecting them to be too big, but when I tried them on, they fit me exactly the same as the 8.5D Jcrew 975s. I lined up the two pairs, and I had to squint to see the small difference in size.

This was the complete opposite of my marlow experience where 8.5D was good but 9D's were way too big (significant amount of heel slipping).
Am I doing this shoe fitting thing right? Now I'm doubting the fit of all my shoes. When I compare my actual foot size and the size either one of the LWBs, I think the LWBs are a good 3-4 inches longer than my actual foot. But the guy at Sherman Brothers also believes that I belong in either a 8.5D or 9D which is weird because my brannock size is somewhere between those two.

Keep the cigars? Very minor heel slipping with thin socks but maybe once they break they'll become too big?

While it's odd both fit comfortably, I wouldn't over-think this. If both feel great, I'd keep both. Some room might be created after your foot sinks a bit into the cork bed, but I wouldn't anticipate the cigars "becoming" too big. Good luck...

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]Hey guys, quick question about your barrie lwb sizing. I bought a pair of Jcrew 975s in 8.5D and a pair of Cigar LWB a couple days later in 9D. I wasn't sure of my barrie lwb sizing. I take a 8.5D in Marlows and 9D in Jcrew barrie PCT boots and Jcrew shell chukkas.[/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]I received the Jcrew 975 in 8.5D first, and they fit very well. Nice and comfortable in the toe box with no heel slipping (or very very slight with thin socks). [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]Then my Shoemart cigar lwb in 9D arrived and I was expecting them to be too big, but when I tried them on, they fit me exactly the same as the 8.5D Jcrew 975s. I lined up the two pairs, and I had to squint to see the small difference in size. [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]This was the complete  opposite of my marlow experience where 8.5D was good but 9D's were way too big (significant amount of heel slipping). [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]Am I doing this shoe fitting thing right? Now I'm doubting the fit of all my shoes. When I compare my actual foot size and the size either one of the LWBs, I think the LWBs are a good 3-4 inches longer than my actual foot. But the guy at Sherman Brothers also believes that I belong in either a 8.5D or 9D which is weird because my brannock size is somewhere between those two.[/CONTENTEMBED]

[/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/82095#post_7140650 layout=inline]Keep the cigars? Very minor heel slipping with thin socks but maybe once they break they'll become too big?[/CONTENTEMBED]

While it's odd both fit comfortably, I wouldn't over-think this.  If both feel great, I'd keep both.  Some room might be created after your foot sinks a bit into the cork bed, but I wouldn't anticipate the cigars "becoming" too big.  Good luck...

+1

Th longer you are in the shoe game, the more likely you are to run into things like this, and not just with Alden. Further, handmade shoes - same model, same size - never fit exactly the same. I have various Alden models in more than one shell color - and it is not uncommon for those to be different sizes (ex. some are 9.5D, some are 9.5C and some are 9D).

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden SF. I am told I have the next 7.5D reserved. This is the response I got from Brenda in Jan of 2013
"We will put your name on the next available pair but we can't give a delivery date.
It's going to be at least a 6 month wait and quite possibly much longer.
Our factory is having difficulty obtaining the leather but we hope to have them eventually.
Wish we could be more helpful." They did receive a few pairs last December but they didn't get my size. I am feeling optimistic that I will see them in the next 6-48 months.
When I checked with Alden SF about 3 months ago they said they had no current plans of placing an order either. I'm a non-standard size, and DC is pretty good about keeping lists, so hopefully they'll reserve a spot for me once they decide to re-order.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have been on the road for the past 6 weeks or so for work and am finally back home.
The first and biggest of the SD fires actually started a few thousand feet from my house, fortunately the winds blew the other way and my shoes (and house) are fine. My heart goes out to those who did lose their homes though.

I got to take out my new (maiden voyage) Tan Suede LHS on this hot San Diego day. This is actually my third pair of Tan Suede LHS. My first pair was a BB variant that I got off eBay and they were not labeled correctly, so I had to sell them as they were too wide for my feet. Then I decided I really liked that variant and BB had a sale that included the Tan Suede LHS, so I picked them up. Finally, I went to The Shoe Mart in the flesh and they had a pair of Tan Suede LHSes (Unlined - unlike the brooks version) as seconds that were mis-matched sizes. I got them super cheap (below seconds pricing) and so I just returned the BB Tan Suede LHS. I am very happy with them and actually like them better than the BB version as they are much lighter and more comfortable! Looking forward to wearing more Aldens than my #8 LHS and #8 Perf Tip, which are my standard road warriors.

-Mike
Welcome back, Mike. Glad you are safe. Nice flooring!

HolaDR

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about
biggrin.gif

Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC. Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot. Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole
angry.gif

After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect. But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point. I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on. And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome,

Thanks for deciding to chip in and pay-it-forward by finally posting some pics after soaking up all of our knowledge and using our intel to snipe hot make-ups out from under our noses!

I know there are more of you out there!

Just kidding. (but not really)

I guess its either lurk for a while, or post a bunch of newbie questions that have already be covered ad nauseam, so I actually appreciate it more than anything.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hello all, Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about :D Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC. Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot. Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole :angry: After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect. But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point. I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on. And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?
Hola and welcome! Congrats on your recent acquisition. Those are absolutely beautiful boots! I would honestly not worry too much about that welt line. Yes it does kind of stink, but it's not too bad or noticeable, particularly since it is on the side of the shoe. Enjoy them and keep the pictures coming as your grow your collections. PS, I lurked for a long time before I felt compelled to engage in the conversation. I also wanted to build up my knowledge base... So I understand the lurking concept. -Mike

Last edited:

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:Welcome aboard! That's one hell of a nice score for your first Aldens!

The imperfection on the left shoe is unfortunate, but not overly obvious. I wouldn't worry too much about it because, as you know from lurking, you likely won't get another shot at this pair anytime soon. Besides, they are bound to get dinged and scraped eventually.

I was also fortunate to receive a pair of those yesterday. I accidentally put a scrape on mine last night right in the middle of the left cap toe by being too aggressive with my brushing. The wooden portion of the brush scraped against the shoe. I started freaking out and showed my wife the scrape. She shrugged her shoulders and said "Oh well, it was going to happen eventually. Better to get it out of the way now." She was right about that, and most other things too!

Enjoy.

Last edited:

chewbocka

Reaction score

Hello all, Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about :D Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC. Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot. Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole :angry: After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect. But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point. I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on. And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?
I had that same issue on a pair of ravello chukkas and eventually returned them. Couldn't get over it.

Omert4

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role in C&J just being better than Alden.

The stitching is unacceptable and I would get it exchanged or returned.

Last edited:

thams

Reaction score
Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role and C&J just being better than Alden.
You're right that does sound ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads