• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good points but it's not - and I'm not alone in saying this - like they were very good in honoring the list. From my perspective the deposit might be nice in incentivizing them to honor the list. Works both ways.

thams

Reaction score
Quote:
I agree with this for the most part. However, Kathy makes it clear that there is no obligation whatsoever to purchase the shoes once you place your name on the list. If maintaining a voluntary list is difficult or annoying for them, then they should change their policy. When I've placed my name on lists in the past, Kathy always reminds me that there is no pressure to purchase the shoes/boots when they arrive.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I think Leffot's is one of the better methods. You pay your 20% and you know the run is being made.
These lists are just for shoes that may get made someday. Of course there will be a ton of names on there. People keep buying in the mean time and once the two years passes and the boots get made a lot less people are interested.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

So you are saying I should sell my #4 ?
peepwall[1].gif

Last edited:

chrisefi

Reaction score
Why do jumpers have to be so cool? And IMHO, Cigar is the best color for them. I'm glad to see them going for over $1k. I hung in there until ~$650 before tapping out. In the event I can ever get a new pair, I'd rather go that route. Who knows what will happen down the road with shell allocation? From what I gather, the demand from OE automakers aren't making it easy for Alden to get shell in the colors that we'd all like to see.

With that being said... Does anyone else not really feel that strongly about Color 4? I get that they're super rare at this point, but the whole "oxblood" boot color would probably never get worn by me. I guess they're going to a collector to just have them on their kill list for that price?

Cigar > Color 8 > Ravello > Color 4 > Whiskey, in my book.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand when people individually pass on a shoe for which they added themselves to a list, but I am surprised by the perceived aggregate amount of people that are passing on the DC Cigar Captoes. If I was them, and it is really as rampant as it seems, I would just stop doing the lists all together.

Seems like too much trouble keeping track of everything when so many people end up passing.

Either that, or I'd start taking a non-refunable deposit. Or not let people that have passed previously get on future lists.

Maybe they don't mind, but I'd be annoyed if someone asked me to make a promise that I didn't have to make, and then they later declined the very thing that they asked me to promise them.

Again, I understand it at the individual level. Might be bad timing financially, or so much time passed since you added your name and things have changed, ect. But when I commit to something, I always follow through, barring extreme circumstances.
It's almost like, "Okay Kathy, put me on every list for every makeup that you order. Every time you receive a shipment, you must call me and offer me an opportunity to buy my size. Then once I have decline, you may offer it to someone else"

...Okay, not really. But we seem to be headed in that direction.

Shut up Bakes11771. Your point, as always, is invalid and you are a bitter individual that detracts from the decorum of this thread. I hope that one day you overcome whatever internal conflict that you are suffering from and learn how to be a more pleasant person.

(Not used to people here agreeing with me, so I had to disagree with myself)

chrisefi

Reaction score
I can understand when people individually pass on a shoe for which they added themselves to a list, but I am surprised by the perceived aggregate amount of people that are passing on the DC Cigar Captoes. If I was them, and it is really as rampant as it seems, I would just stop doing the lists all together.

Seems like too much trouble keeping track of everything when so many people end up passing.

Either that, or I'd start taking a non-refunable deposit. Or not let people that have passed previously get on future lists.

Maybe they don't mind, but I'd be annoyed if someone asked me to make a promise that I didn't have to make, and then they later declined the very thing that they asked me to promise them.

Again, I understand it at the individual level. Might be bad timing financially, or so much time passed since you added your name and things have changed, ect. But when I commit to something, I always follow through, barring extreme circumstances.

I would totally go for either a non-refundable deposit or pre-paid in order to guarantee a spot. Sort of like leffot works things. We know how many of each size we're confirmed for and we'll sell the pre-order spaces. Done deal.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Shut up Bakes11771.  Your point, as always, is invalid and you are a bitter individual that detracts from the decorum of this thread.  I hope that one day you overcome whatever internal conflict that you are suffering from and learn how to be a more pleasant person.

(Not used to people here agreeing with me, so I had to disagree with myself)

I actually agree with you in this case, Bakes. I just shuddered typing that.

Edit: added :crackup:

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Alden starts ordering from Comipel like Trickers.
Would sort of go against the whole purely american thing that they have going for them. Not sure if they care.

Also might harm there relationship with Horween. I have no way of knowing for sure, but it is common for manufacturers and suppliers to have long-term contracts that basically say "you buy only from us, we'll give you a better deal than we would if you used multiple suppliers".

Also, their cultures seem similar. Multi-generation family owned american heritage craftsmanship. Doing things the old-fasioned way and resisting adoption of modern manufacturing techniques.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
I agree with this for the most part. However, Kathy makes it clear that there is no obligation whatsoever to purchase the shoes once you place your name on the list. If maintaining a voluntary list is difficult or annoying for them, then they should change their policy. When I've placed my name on lists in the past, Kathy always reminds me that there is no pressure to purchase the shoes/boots when they arrive.
True statement.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't in the market for these boots at all, but given all the kerfuffle about them that has erupted, just for kicks (pun intended) I called Kathy to see if they had a 10 D laying around. No dice. I mention this in case anyone else was thinking about calling to inquire after that size . . .

thams

Reaction score
Quote:
Agreed - I just think the competition for 8.5D's is fierce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads