***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forex

forex Senior member

Can anyone comment on how Leydon last fits compared to Plaza.

2. Cid

Cid Senior member

Can anyone comment on how Leydon last fits compared to Plaza.

Hopefully others will lend insight on this, but here is what Alden of Carmel says about sizing:

**The most popular Alden lasts, and their relative sizes compared to usual U.S. shoe sizes are:

Leydon last - fits approximately like a standard US size
    Plaza last - slightly longer than regular U.S. size
    Aberdeen last - slightly longer than regular U.S. size
    Van last - 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size
    Barrie last - about 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Barrie last size 9 1/2)
    Trubalance last - about 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Trubalance size 9 1/2)
    Modified last - at least 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size (U.S. size 10 = Modified last size 9 1/2)**

3. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

The Union Made boots look like they have a regular welt. Not sure if I've ever seen a boot or a shoe on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as it's a "dressier" last. The reverse welt is more commonly seen on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. I can't explain why the #8's would have fit differently from the Cigars though...

Based on the info from Unionmade and my calls there these do have a reverse welt. There is a noticeable difference in their look from the other cigar shell boots that I had as well. Not just me but two other people said the same thing.

4. Aries83

Aries83 Senior member

I have the Leydon and Plaza.

What I can say is that they fit similarly, although the leydon has a rather bizarre vamp, for the first few days of wearing you will really feel the pressure on the top of your foot, as the leydon seems to compress it slightly right at the base of the laces.

Also, I would say there's slightly less room in the leydon toebox.

5. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Leydon last - fits approximately like a standard US size

Agreed, fits very true-to-size.

6. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Based on the info from Unionmade and my calls there these do have a reverse welt. There is a noticeable difference in their look from the other cigar shell boots that I had as well. Not just me but two other people said the same thing.
    Unless I have misunderstood what a reverse welt is, the Union Made boots are regular welt. Here are a pair of chukka's on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as described by Leather Soul: [​IMG] The small strip of leather between the sole and the cordovan is the welt. Because the welt is visible from the outside, it is called a reverse welt. [​IMG] The welt is not visible on the outside of the boot on the Union Made cap toes. If that's considered a reverse welt then I am totally confused as to the definition of the term.

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

The Union Made boots look like they have a regular welt. Not sure if I've ever seen a boot or a shoe on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as it's a "dressier" last. The reverse welt is more commonly seen on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. I can't explain why the #8's would have fit differently from the Cigars though...

The boots do have a regular welt (not reverse). We are changing the description on the website to reflect this.

Sorry about all the confusion everyone! Still, it's a damn good looking boot.

8. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Unless I have misunderstood what a reverse welt is, the Union Made boots are regular welt.

Here are a pair of chukka's on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as described by Leather Soul:
    [​IMG]

The small strip of leather between the sole and the cordovan is the welt. Because the welt is visible from the outside, it is called a reverse welt.

[​IMG]

The welt is not visible on the outside of the boot on the Union Made cap toes. If that's considered a reverse welt then I am totally confused as to the definition of the term.

I stand corrected. But as I stated earlier, these feel and look of these boots does have a noticeable difference from the others I had ordered. Can't explain that part, but all I can say is that I was unhappy with the first pair, but am very happy with the Unionmade cap toes.

9. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

I stand corrected. But as I stated earlier, these feel and look of these boots does have a noticeable difference from the others I had ordered. Can't explain that part, but all I can say is that I was unhappy with the first pair, but am very happy with the Unionmade cap toes.

I'm glad you like them!
    Sorry again about the confusion.

10. Vinneus

Vinneus Senior member

just in from Hawaii, leathers still warm! [​IMG]

11. Stephan R.

Stephan R. Well-Known Member

just in from Hawaii, leathers still warm!

[​IMG]

still warm? they look very small.

12. Vinneus

Vinneus Senior member

yea! still warm from the climate of Hawaii, where Leather Sole is located! can you believe it buddy! and yes they are a 6 in boys! 8/

13. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

14. Stephan R.

Stephan R. Well-Known Member

yea! still warm from the climate of Hawaii, where Leather Sole is located! can you believe it buddy! and yes they are a 6 in boys! 8/

love the non harmony blue/stripe/grey colour socks with the reddish shoes.

15. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior member

Natural Chromexcel was made for a boot like this. In my opinion, Tom really hit it out of the park with this one! Can't wait to see it after a year or two of wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.