1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pthree

pthree Well-Known Member

I believe it's 3/16" but don't quote me on that. [​IMG]

Thanks, the quote from imatlas seems to verify that as well! I'm assuming this is width only. How about the difference in length between sizes?

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Thanks, the quote from imatlas seems to verify that as well! I'm assuming this is width only. How about the difference in length between sizes?

I thought it was 3/16" all the way around. I could be mistaken though.

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Regarding lasts, how do the modified, aberdeen, plaza, and hampton Alden lasts fit compared with the Barrie or Trubalance?

I find I'm an 8.5 D on the Barrier and also the Trubalance. Should I size differently for the above lasts?

Also, what are the differences between them?

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

4. phototristan

5. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.
    There's really no substitute for trying them on, I've experienced variation between Alden shoes of the same model, and size. (I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.)

6. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.

Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of shit, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.

7. phototristan

Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of shit, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.

I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

You're not supposed to wear every last they make -- that is the point of having different lasts.

9. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

There has been so many posts regarding sizing. Please do some research first...

10. phototristan

You're not supposed to wear every last they make -- that is the point of having different lasts.

I don't plan to do that.

11. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?

One of the problems of giving this type of advise is that it really varies between people with high arches, tall insteps, etc...

For example, I wear 9.5D in Barrie, could go down to 9D in Tru-balance, 9.5 D or E in Hampton / Aberdeen - I also own 10D in Hampton and Leydon.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

One of the problems of giving this type of advise is that it really varies between people with high arches, tall insteps, etc...

For example, I wear 9.5D in Barrie, could go down to 9D in Tru-balance, 9.5 D or E in Hampton / Aberdeen - I also own 10D in Hampton and Leydon.

+lots

My best fit on Barrie last is 9EEE, but I'm wearing a pair of 10Ds right now (with hiking socks). I also have a pair in 9.5D, which were snug in the toe box initially but are quite comfortable now, and a pair of Aberdeen last bluchers in 10D.

13. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

There's really no substitute for trying them on, I've experienced variation between Alden shoes of the same model, and size. (I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.)

Funny you should mention that. I went to a local Men's store with a very limited Alden collection and extremely limited knowledge of Alden Lasts by the staff. They were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but I did not have much luck.

I was hoping for a Barrie, but they had none in my size and I'm not sure if they even knew if they had one so I could look at it up close.

A Plaza in a 10D was a no go.

An Aberdeen in 11 D seemed to be wide enough in the one shoe they found, but I had definite heel slippage.

The Tremont in a 10.5C was definitely too narrow.

The closest I came was with the Hampton in a 10.5 D. It was a little tight in the ball of foot. Not sure if they'd widen or if a 10.5E would work better.

I have a pair of JCrew 403 Indy's at 10.5D, which is great with hiking socks but loose with dress socks. Same deal with a seconds pair of 405 Indy's at 10.5E, fine with hiking socks, loose with dress socks.

I've checked out Alden of Carmel's sizing info. Unfortunately the Hampton and Tremont did not make their list. How do those compare to the other Lasts?

What size can I get away with in Barrie shoe? I was thinking 10D or 10E.

I'm hoping to get the chance to check out another store...

Thanks in advance...

14. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

ChrisGold already gave you the answer with the link to Alden of Carmel's sizing chart.

Click the link, read what it says, and go from there. That is the best info you will get. Plain and simple. I don't see where your confusion is. We have all been pretty patient with your questions and clear with our answers.

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^
    ^
    ^
    I find that a Barrie PTB is looser fitting than a Barrie longwing, e.g.

16. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Funny you should mention that. I went to a local Men's store with a very limited Alden collection and extremely limited knowledge of Alden Lasts by the staff. They were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but I did not have much luck.

I was hoping for a Barrie, but they had none in my size and I'm not sure if they even knew if they had one so I could look at it up close.

A Plaza in a 10D was a no go.

An Aberdeen in 11 D seemed to be wide enough in the one shoe they found, but I had definite heel slippage.

The Tremont in a 10.5C was definitely too narrow.

The closest I came was with the Hampton in a 10.5 D. It was a little tight in the ball of foot. Not sure if they'd widen or if a 10.5E would work better.

I have a pair of JCrew 403 Indy's at 10.5D, which is great with hiking socks but loose with dress socks. Same deal with a seconds pair of 405 Indy's at 10.5E, fine with hiking socks, loose with dress socks.

I've checked out Alden of Carmel's sizing info. Unfortunately the Hampton and Tremont did not make their list. How do those compare to the other Lasts?

What size can I get away with in Barrie shoe? I was thinking 10D or 10E.

I'm hoping to get the chance to check out another store...

Thanks in advance...

Not sure what to make of all this except to say that sizing down from tru-balance is almost never required. Tru-balance actually runs slightly larger than Barrie. My best GUESS is to stay in the same size as Tru-balance, and wear regular socks.

17. phototristan

18. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I hereby declare Thursday 2/24 Picture Day - let's have everyone show what they put on in the morning, bad cell phone pictures are fine - all sizing questions will be met with scorn and ridicule.

(I'm partially kidding about the sizing questions. Many of us are happy to help, but these questions are almost impossible to answer online - order a couple of pairs from ShoeMart or ebay and see how they fit, or visit a local store, try some things on and buy what fits.)

19. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I hereby declare Thursday 2/24 Picture Day - let's have everyone show what they put on in the morning, bad cell phone pictures are fine - all sizing questions will me met with scorn and ridicule.

(I'm partially kidding about the sizing questions. Many of us are happy to help, but these questions are almost impossible to answer online - order a couple of pairs from ShoeMart or ebay and see how they fit, or visit a local store, try some things on and buy what fits.)

^^^great idea, I'll post my pics tomorrow.

Also re: sizing, TruBalance 9D are a touch bigger than Modified 9D which are a touch bigger than Barrie 9D in the forefoot in my opinion. Can't help on the others unfortunately.

20. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Wow, someone got some J Crew Alden's for .99 cents!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3204wt_1141

I guess it pays to have different size feet. Hopefully the buyer read the auction. [​IMG]

But how did someone get J Crew to sell those originally?

damn I wish had seen those, as I'm between an 8.5 and 9. I imagine between some basic shoe stretching and inserts you could get them close to one another. maybe even with just stretching

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.