1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I know the factory workers are Union...are the robots too? Maybe that's the problem. Just having some fun with this!

Shoes are like boobs...find a pair you like and use them!

Steve

3 people like this.
  2. breck81

breck81 Senior member

+1[​IMG]

3. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

And don't over condition them, I assume? : )

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Massage gently!

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

I agree with @tifosi , in my opinion the double leather sole is the better looking sole and for me (not everyone), the more comfortable sole. If you're not going to wear them in bad weather or don't mind getting them wet, then leather is the way to go. I tend to wear my WT Boots in wet and snowy/icy conditions, in which case, I highly recommend the commando sole.

1 person likes this.
  6. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. Leaning toward the leather...

7. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Suede LWBs late last week
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

double leather. put a topy if you're worried about slipping or wet conditions. can't even see it

9. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Is the post on Leffots Instagram today another one of those cryptic things I'm supposed to decipher?

10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

spoke to Che already. No robot made exotics from iG are in the plans. Just a pic for drooling :)

11. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

spell checking me? yes that is trolling. YOU'RE a troll.

12. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Lol awesome. :) Thanks man.

1 person likes this.
  13. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

What a pic though. And that picture of the 30 year old shell EGs is great incentive to do more with less --- keep wearing the pairs of shell that I already have.

14. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Unless you have the super rare secret decoder ring and password...then???????????????

Steve

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

17. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

My pleasure.

The main issues are these ones:

[​IMG]

Loose stitching from new, with obvious rework in the two rows of holes perforated. The original stitching failed during a visit to Budapest, so I had them repaired in the city. The hasty-but-strong repair work is done in the darker thread, and the extra row of misaligned perforations from the factory is visible in this zone. The stitching was starting to fall apart in other places as well, but I stopped wearing them before they failed too because of this....

[​IMG]

Not long after this repair, the heel detached from the upper, giving me about ten months of of wear in total before they became unwearable. My RM Williams boots, cordovan Vass brogues, and Koronya boots have endured far rougher treatment for far longer (four to five years in regular rotation so far) and have not had any problems.

Aside from the crappy stitching and heel fall-apart, they also arrived with a few gouges in the cordovan in the ankle area. The boots weren't that great to wear: they always seemed a bit dumpy-looking and leaked like mad, so I didn't miss them much after the heel separated. Because of this, I haven't bothered to send them back for repair even after three years.

Alden uses quality cordovan, but in my case, they turned it into a rather clunky, sloppily-made, and not-particularly-durable product. I'm not too fussed about cosmetic issues, but getting less than year of wear out of a $700 pair of boots does bother me somewhat. It seems that their quality control isn't keeping pace with the demand. Best of luck to those who received decently-made examples, but that certainly wasn't my experience.

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

wouldn't matter anyway...he is Canadian

19. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

So let me get this straight. Showing us pics of 100 year old boots that look like they haven't had an ounce of maintenance is supposed to prove Alden's QC issues???

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.