***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Just do it... it won't be your last so its ok.

2. rick

rick Senior member

I do realize that the ones pictured are from the Grant last, but just an FYI - Unionmade is coming out w/ them on the Barrie last this week...

but, thanks to all for your opinions...think I have decided to go w/ the Indy's...I think...

what dexter said. i bought my first aldens about a year and a half ago, now i have about 20-25 pairs it will not be your last, and for the record nothing looks better with jeans then the indy.

3. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

I do realize that the ones pictured are from the Grant last, but just an FYI - Unionmade is coming out w/ them on the Barrie last this week...

but, thanks to all for your opinions...think I have decided to go w/ the Indy's...I think...

FWIW, the reverse welt on the Unionmade cap toe will also dress down the boot for more casual wear. I also prefer the shape of the Barrie last over the Grant, and there have been several accounts of the Grant last being ill fitting on a lot of feet. The Barrie last is also more neutral than Trubalance last, although from my experience I find the Trubalance to be more comfortable for prolonged wear.

I really like the concept of the Unionmade cap toe boot. It can be dressed up or down and it is more versatile than the Indy. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the final makeup.

4. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

Just got my first pair of indy's.

i got them from the ebay auction on p. 517. they aren't new though, they have clearly been worn. they are scuffed up and creased up, and the sole shows very light signs of wear.

it drives me crazy when sellers do that. i don't understand it. they also came stuffed into one of the old USPS shoe boxes, which was too small to hold the boots without folding the tops over.

also, his return policy is that the buyer pays shipping. i find that also to be lame.

classic example of getting the service that you pay for i guess. the seller's ebay username is cairparavel08.

on the plus side, i really like the indys. i know i am late to the game, and everyone seems to be down on them, but they look really sharp i think. i am okay with owning a classic pair of footwear.

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Just got my first pair of indy's.

i got them from the ebay auction on p. 521. they aren't new though, they have clearly been worn. they are scuffed up and creased up, and the sole shows very light signs of wear.

it drives me crazy when sellers do that. i don't understand it. they also came stuffed into one of the old USPS shoe boxes, which was too small to hold the boots without folding the tops over.

also, his return policy is that the buyer pays shipping. i find that also to be lame.

classic example of getting the service that you pay for i guess.

on the plus side, i really like the indys. i know i am late to the game, and everyone seems to be down on them, but they look really sharp i think. i am okay with owning a classic pair of footwear.

Wait a minute. you are the genius who paid $930 for Indys? If he is offering a refund, I would return immediately. Shipping be dammed.

6. MichaelPemulis

huh?

i paid 345 for them.

aha! i see. when i first posted i had the page number wrong, i edited it and fixed it. ahahah. classic.

i bet the person that paid 2X retail would be even more mad that they came worn and stuffed into an ill-fitting box.

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

those aren't much better. You don't see the massive crease on the side of the shoe in the main pic?

likely a floor model reject

8. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Mick - What are your thoughts on the Alden DC store? Going by there tomorrow afternoon.

I'm a huge fan. Kathy and Joe are both excellent to work with. They are also the sister store of the San Fran shop and share stock. Occasionally, they've been able to get things for me from there as a result. I'm an E width on every last, which means my options are usually pretty limited, but they've been most helpful in growing my collection (as have Tom from LSH, Ed Z from Shoemart and Steven from Leffot).

9. MichaelPemulis

not much better? ahaha. okay.

10. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

FWIW, the reverse welt on the Unionmade cap toe will also dress down the boot for more casual wear.

I really like the concept of the Unionmade cap toe boot. It can be dressed up or down and it is more versatile than the Indy. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the final makeup.

oh why why why....hahaha...yea, I do wish they had pics available...

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

If you haven't ordered yet, I think the Union Made boots (or the J Crew #8 boots also on the Barrie) look great with jeans. Much nicer than the Indys.

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

huh?

i paid 345 for them.

aha! i see. when i first posted i had the page number wrong, i edited it and fixed it. ahahah. classic.

i bet the person that paid 2X retail would be even more mad that they came worn and stuffed into an ill-fitting box.

I would've just paid the extra $100 to get a new pair of Indy's from somewhere like Shoemart where tax and shipping are $0.00.

I just have the regular 405 Indy's. Worn them once and got a few compliments. Like them a lot.

13. MichaelPemulis

yes, now that i know that they aren't new, I also would have done that. lol.

i rolled the dice and lost, also wanted to let others know about the quality of the item, as one poster posted the boots, and another commented that they had purchased another pair from him. he has a ton of jcrew stuff for sale. i thought would be helpful info.

i also don't think it's my fault that the item wasn't as described.

14. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

yes, now that i know that they aren't new, I also would have done that. lol. i rolled the dice and lost, also wanted to let others know about the quality of the item, as one poster posted the boots, and another commented that they had purchased another pair from him. he has a ton of jcrew stuff for sale. i thought would be helpful info. i also don't think it's my fault that the item wasn't as described.
    you may have lost a little, but you didn;t lose. you still have a pair of indy;s... you gonna keep em?

15. MichaelPemulis

yep, i am going to keep em, was just sitting here thinking that. they are much more comfortable than I thought they would be, and they look sharp. i have wanted a pair for about a year, and just sold a bunch of stuff to be able to make it happen.

they are great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.