• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intensanity

Reaction score

Not sure that there is a place that won't get annoyed at you trying on over a dozen pairs of shoes to figure out your size in order to buy shoes from other retailers.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph at Alden Madison has thrown someone out of the store for trying to do such a thing.

You probably don't need to know your size in every last anyway.  Chances are, you will only ever own shoes in 3 or 4 of them.  You can go to J. Crew to determine Barrie and Tru Balance.  They are likely to put up with it.  Come back with those sizes as proxies and we can probably zero in on your sizes for other lasts.  We could probably be pretty accurate with just your brannock measurement any notes about peculiarities of your foot (high arch, high instep, wide forefoot, narrow heel, ect).

Personally, I'm pretty much over Alden.  I think its been over a year since I bought a pair.  I have most of what interests me, there are very few new models being introduced, the prices are getting to be more than the shoes are worth [to me]. The only thing that is consistent about their QC is that it is consistently deteriorating.  I have a pretty well rounded line-up at around 20 pairs of shoes.  Anything additional is just excessive, however, I am still adding, albeit at a decreased rate.

Pick up some stock models in Color 8, Black, and non-cordovan leathers if any of them interest you.  If you get lucky and grab a hard-to-get pair, that is just a bonus.  This is basically my attempt to manage the expectations of someone who is new to Alden.  Chances of you getting a ravello boot are almost non-existent.  #4, basically impossible.  If you are able to grab a LWB in an exotic color, that is something to be excited about.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. Will hit up a J Crew and get the Barrie sized right.

I've come to terms with me not getting a #4 basically ever. I was curious what you think the chances are to get the captoe boots in Cigar. The #8 is pretty but the Cigar is just gorgeous. Thanks again for the info you guys have all been incredibly helpful.

thams

Reaction score
I've come to terms with me not getting a #4 basically ever. I was curious what you think the chances are to get the captoe boots in Cigar. The #8 is pretty but the Cigar is just gorgeous. Thanks again for the info you guys have all been incredibly helpful.
Called up Alden DC and see what's available. Chances are you're out of luck for this round of cigar cap toes that are about to drop in a month or so. You could get first in line for the next round though. Only issue is that you'll need to know your size in the grant last to hold a spot. No down payment though, which is nice.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alden #4 and Tricker's Teak cordovan. Tricker's source their cordovan from Comipel.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since someone has said it. So here goes ....

Color 8 is the king. Most on here would agree. Color 8 is the most versatile shell color. Most on here would agree.

Carry on. :D

Vicious49

Reaction score

I do prefer shell to calf, BUT I'm not the biggest fan of the way shell looks straight outta the box.  Once broken in and faded a bit though...nothing is better.  I know it's been said many times here, but #8 patina is second to none.  

Maybe that's what it is. Once my 1 pair of shell gets broken in, maybe I'll become a convert as well. Although I think #8 is the most versatile if you eliminate the whole supply/demand thing. I do like how cigar gets some greenish hues to it.

The other reason I'm not as big on shell is that I'm moving to Texas and I've heard that shell doesn't breath at all. That makes it not very practical for me in super hot Houston.

Leffot just dropped boots combining three things a lot of thread goers don't care for - black cordovan, brass eyelets and crepe sole. I like the look but likely won't buy...

I actually like the look of them a lot with the antique edging. It's a shame they're not on commando soles.

Color 8 is the king. Most on here would agree. Color 8 is the most versatile shell color. Most on here would agree.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago. The lack of supply makes everyone go crazy for the other colors, but #8 is the most versatile one,

Those Trickers look quite nice!

I agree.

shaunw

Reaction score

I agree, between #8 and cigar I'm pretty happy. I wear my ravello aldens the least frequently, not because I'm babying them or trying to preserve them.......its just that #8 and cigar call to me more.

90shilling

Reaction score
2y2y5aru.jpg

And on the subject of color 8 being king....here's the 975 with my sorry attempt at a MrDV camera pose!

chrisefi

Reaction score
Ravello and color 4 are my favorite shell colors. Blasphemous, I know....
Both are Barrie x the shoe mart. #4 ct, ravello sw.

Looking for something like either of these for my first Shell boot from Alden. I have a few pairs of CXL leather boots and shoes, but I want to get into either Color 4 or Ravello Shell.

These are both on the Barrie last, any ideas where I can pick one of these up?

Also, for sizing... I'm a 10D on a brannock, but I wear 9.5D in Wolverine, for example. In my Allen Edmonds McAllister, I'm a 10 D. What should I do on the Barrie last? I hear a 9.5 because the Barrie runs about 1/2 a size larger, but shell apparently won't stretch much?

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for something like either of these for my first Shell boot from Alden. I have a few pairs of CXL leather boots and shoes, but I want to get into either Color 4 or Ravello Shell.

These are both on the Barrie last, any ideas where I can pick one of these up?

Also, for sizing... I'm a 10D on a brannock, but I wear 9.5D in Wolverine, for example. In my Allen Edmonds McAllister, I'm a 10 D. What should I do on the Barrie last? I hear a 9.5 because the Barrie runs about 1/2 a size larger, but shell apparently won't stretch much?

Nowhere.
Not likely to be available again for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads