• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a bit of brushing on Monday evening:

Horween leathers: natty CXL, Waxed Brown flesh, #8 Cordovan

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I wear several Alden (and non-Alden) shell shoes in the rain all the time with no ill effects.  Perhaps, I am old school or conservative or whatever, but I don't put Defender on my shoes. I never really thought Defender was necessary since shell cordovan is so water resistant/ non porous. I just wipe off wet shell shoes after they have become wet, and set them down on the sides to dry. 

Isn't part of the point of shell boots that they are wonderful in inclement weather? 

I am genuinely curious to hear whether others avoid rain for the shell. I recognize some are probably afraid to soak $700+ shoes they otherwise baby.

My stable is for dry days. I have Bostonians and my Color 8 Perf Tips (only exception) for rain use.

-M

smmrfld

Reaction score
If anyone spots a pair of cigar LWBs in a 12D, be a sport and PM me please
nod[1].gif

Was in Alden SF yesterday and they have some cigar LWBs...not sure which sizes other than 7.5D though. They also had some unlined loden chukkas on sale for about $350; again, not sure of available sizes.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference in suede nap between different colors of Alden suede loafers? My navy suede loafers feel more like nubuck, while my brown suede loafers have a very high, soft nap that can even appear two different shades when laying different directions. Personally, I would like a softer, nappier navy suede.

Thanks.

The snuff tassels look amazing. I tossed and turned over whether to snag a pair. I went with the lined PTB in brown suede. Absolutely love this shoe...

I may have to hit the BB store again for the tassels.

This is incredible... four pairs of new Aldens in three weeks, and not one is shell... never would have thunk it!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh!! The BB sale is over. Oh well, probably best that I didn't spend more there...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh!! The BB sale is over. Oh well, probably best that I didn't spend more there...
Don't they have a bigger, better sale coming up? As I recall, sometime around now is when they typically have a big sale and then, eventually, that sale with a kicker. Picked up a Golden Fleece suit priced at $2000 for around $850 or so last year. Maybe the discount on shoes wasn't quite so big.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty significant, 30% off. Most of Alden's calf/suede offerings were going for around $350.

I really like the Natty Chrmxl and snuff suede tassels (two pairs of shoes, not a combination of the two
biggrin.gif
).

I guess I'll wait and see for more savings (or spending)!

Last edited:

esoxm

Reaction score

I wear alpine grain in the rain.
It didn't rain today. I wear these more than most, they cheat the rotation.

Great boots- I love the bar lacing, but have given up on it for day to day wear on my all eyelet boots. Too time consuming to tighten and keep all the laces nicely flat.

Details on the pants? Rrl?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads