1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Great combo, still holding onto winter and yet anticipating spring all at once.

2. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Thanks watch - exactly what I thought when I put my clothes together this morning.

3. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Anyone have extra toe room in their indys? My right foot is smaller than my left and the shoe makes a bit of a brushing sound on carpet and certain surfaces, which i believe is due to the extra 1/2-3/4 in of toe room. My left foot is perfect but I was wondering if someone has noticed this with thier shoes even something other than Indys?

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I think you're supposed to soak your deer bone is some sort of oil after it dries out. I think it's olive oil, but don't quote me. I'll try to dig up my paper that came with my deer bone.

5. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Wearing Alt Weins today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I experience this exact thing in ALL of my shoes regardless of the maker.

Coincidentally, Alden is the best fit for me overall.

How long have you been wearing the boots in question?

Because this will sometimes cease altogether and/or become much less noticeable as the boots become accustomed to your foot.

Thanks!

7. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks for the response!
    The boots are only a couple weeks old and have about 10 wears (anywhere from 2-8 hours/ea) on them. Theyre the jcrew indys so the cxl become even softer in that time but I attribute some of the resistance to the stiff sole. They're very comfortable so its more of a nuisance than anything. The guy at shoemart was very persistent that 10D was the right size for me haha

8. Don L

Don L Senior member

#8 BB Tassels

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

If you spoke to Ed Z. then he is perhaps the best in regard to Alden sizing.

Joe from DC is good as well.

But Ed has been selling Alden for many years. And, I believe he wears Alden's as well.

I say what I am about to say very respectfully; I have a hard time taking sizing advice from a woman due to the fact that THEY DON'T WEAR THE SHOES...

Styling advice?

Absolutely.

Fitting advice?

NO.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

One time I was in the AE store in Chicago, and there was a female associate wearing a pair of AE's. That was a total anomaly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Guys, just a quick follow-up...I spoke to Mike and also Ken at the other store. The CXL LHS loafers are now part of the standard full stock offering and are still in production. They should be available in about 6 weeks. The shortage of hand sewers is effecting the delivery times. I could order from Alden DC or SF, but would rather wait to see them in the flesh before pulling the trigger. So, the wait begins :)

11. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

That is an anomaly! Its certainly double take worthy.

I feel you. Im new to the boot/shoe scene so my fitting stories don't have very much variation. Although, I did buy a pair of Iron Rangers at a local RW store and it was a nightmare as far as sizing was concerned. He measured my feet and then asked me what size I normally wear. I said "You just measured my feet, youre supposed to know what fits? Long story short, I bought an 11 (my brannock size is just over just under an 11 depending on the foot) and after a few days i realized they were enormous and couldnt return them. I tried insoles, heel pads, nothing helped. I ended up getting $50 bucks in certificates from RW corporate which was nice. The woman who owns the store was like "Oh im sorry, I should have measured you" and I couldn't help but think, "isn't that what you're supposed to teach your employees"? Oh well. Got the Indys and am very pleased but i guess more sensitive than i should be.

Good to know im not the only one who experienced this. Im just going to keep wearing them and hope it sorts itself out. Im sure in a few years this will be a distant memory haha

Thanks again!

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

My wife has more AE than I do...haha

13. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I admire your wife's taste. Thats awesome that she enjoys a good pair of shoes. Too bad I cant get my girlfriend to wear leather anything... cant say shes too happy about my sudden infatuation with leather shoes. But to her defense, she did just buy me a lovely victorinox alliance chrono for no reason (not yet apparent anyway).

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Very Cool Tif...[​IMG]

So, what is Mrs. Tif's favorite model? (If you don't mind me asking of course)

15. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I've seen the same at my local AE store.

I wish this was the case. My wife likes clogs, which I find to be a bit of a downer. Lord knows I've tried to sway her from them. Fortunately, pretty much everything else about her is wonderful.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

She is really getting into the boot thing. Just the other day she said she wants a pair of burgundy shell boots next....ugh.

Watch, she has a walnut calf Bayfield (perf. captoe boot) and a brown grain Eagle Country boot. I think her favorite is the Eagle Country, but she gets all kinds of compliments on the walnut Bayfield.

Keep trying!

Just to keep on topic....if Alden made her size I'd be all over it.

17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Now that's what I call a date night...[​IMG]

Hypothetical Conversation:

"So Sweetheart, would you like to go to the symphony, or to see a play. You know there is that little ladies boutique you enjoy. Or, perhaps tonight we can go get fitted for some shell cordovan boots together.... "

[​IMG]
    Ha, what a wonderful thing that would be....

18. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

On another note, (And not to hijack this thread...[​IMG])

Carmina makes some incredible ladies boots in Ruby cordovan...

19. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

I just placed an order for two pair of Indy's from TSM. I wear 9.5 EEE. I ordered the natural chromexcel and Color 8 Cordovan. I was told 6 months to a year until they arrive. I'm hoping they arrive early! I have a pair of used 10.5E indy's chromexcel on eBay if anyone is interested. Has anyone ever received their shoes from TSM early?? lol

20. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yes Sir.

This last batch of ravello NST was supposed to arrive on the fat side of 4-6 months...

I placed the order in mid October and got the boots 2 weeks ago...

And, I must say I was not quite prepared...[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.