• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Re: Selling shoes on here

It's not a problem as long as you buy from someone who's at least active on here. I highly doubt that someone who has been on the forum for 4 years has 5000 posts on here is laying in the weeds waiting to take $400 from me. I've had great luck on here personally. Everyone has been professional and under promised and over delivered.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Just to sing the praises of Alden, I called them up directly to see if I could buy a pair of shoe bags that were missing from a J. Crew order. A gentleman sent me a pair for free that arrived today!

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Selling shoes on here

It's not a problem as long as you buy from someone who's at least active on here. I highly doubt that someone who has been on the forum for 4 years has 5000 posts on here is laying in the weeds waiting to take $400 from me. I've had great luck on here personally. Everyone has been professional and under promised and over delivered.
I totally agree with this point. I have purchased shoes from a high profile forum member who shall remain nameless and had a wonderful experience all around.

Most of the gentlemen on here who frequent the site are class acts, present company excluded of course.

southbound35

Reaction score
I asked this question on another thread and never got an answer. The pics below will better illustrate what I was asking then.

I would like an unlined PTB in navy suede, but have only run across the Dover. Does anyone know of a store that sells an unlined PTB in navy suede?

Or, is the reason the suedes seem to be made in the Dover style is that "piece of leather that the eyelets are in that extends in an arc down to the welt" is needed for structure in an unlined suede buck type shoe?

The Dovers have the piece of leather that the eyelets are in that extends in an arc down to the welt.
Edit
Dover:

PTB:

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots for me today, too.

I've never been a huge boot guy (not sure why, but probably due to living in a warmer climate), but those are awesome! Hope to get a pair one day.

Buy the seller.

I would not deal with anyone that isn't an active member in the community, personally.

I agree 100%. I've purchased and sold a lot more watches than shoes, but I've always said the same thing. Deal with well-known members that have a history of flawless transactions.

Think these are about 4 years old now

I would have never guessed that those were four years old. They look great.

Dont tie the top eyelets when breaking them in. Wear them loose at the top initially.

975s today:

Love some LWBs and these actually look like cigar from the pic.

Did everyone who got the whiskey LWB from Alden NYC get a call or email letting them know they were on the way?

Yes, they called me last week.

First day Whisky Wednesday

Solid!!

I don't have anything in Grant, but it's definitely on my wish list.

Whiskey Wednesday ! But I'm on the wagon this week. So ravello nst love

These are one of mly favorite Aldens!! Sweet!

Nice boots!!

Lots of great stuff on here today.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I know I'm in the minority here, but personally I can't bring myself to bar-lace shoes - even bals - that have an odd number of eyelet rows.

I don't do it because I find it harder to pull the laces tight. Function over form for me.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Wow, those look cool. Who makes them?

In response to aldenfan:

Those, I believe are Rancourt mto.

Thanks. They are indeed made by Rancourt, but the actual model is the Eastland Made in Maine Monroe:

http://www.eastlandshoe.com/product/mens+monroe+usa+cap+toe+boot.do

The loden green was sold by a few retailers - mine came from Gentry. To be sure, you can also do an MTO through Rancourt directly. Here's virtually the same boot in navy shell:

End of threadjack?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look more like cigar... is it just the picture quality or are these more brown than burgundy? In any case, they look wonderful!
Thanks, RTP and Mr. Clemson. They are #8. Something about the flash and the light makes them look browner.

Vicious49

Reaction score
JPress had those Loden green boots during their winter clearance for a bit over $100. I skipped them because I didn't know how the sizing was on them.

southbound35

Reaction score

I don't do it because I find it harder to pull the laces tight. Function over form for me.

I'm in the same minority. I wore a pair of 5-eyelet shoes this past weekend that I hadn't worn in forever and had left the barred laces in place. I was very annoyed as I tightened them.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

Perhaps then there is something wrong - with bar laces on a bal you can make the two halves touch and get them as tight or tighter than cross laced?

By "or tighter" I mean you can move the two laced portions closer together because the laces are not in the middle taking up space....

For sure mine go tighter bar laces vs crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics