• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsekh

Reaction score

Yeah, they are all made by Woodlore, an Allen Edmonds Company. :)

Alden had their made by Rochester Shoe Tree Company, hew is apparently from New Hampshire!

AE/Nordstrom/JAB shoe trees are all made by Woodlore. Alden/JCrew she tress are all made by Rochester Shoe Tree Company.

(Fun fact: Nordstrom sells Nordstrom branded shoe trees at Nordstrom... but they sell Woodlore shoe tress at Nordstrom Rack at a lower price. Yet they are all the identical except for the name on the metal plate.)

I prefer Alden shoe trees to AE/Woodlore (standard) shoe trees. Their have better sanded edges and have bigger and rounder heels. But then the latter are a lot cheaper at Nordstrom Rack or at JAB when they are on sale. Yet, I like Woodlore Epic shoe trees the most:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodlore-Epic-Twin-Tube-Shoe/dp/B002VWKRE4

Organika

Reaction score
Maybe those who think the difference will decrease over time are thinking that the creases that will form with wear will introduce color variation on each shoe, which will make the difference between the left and right shoes less noticeable.

I have a Cigar pair that had contrasting vamps although maybe not as noticeable as above Whisky pair. After initial wears and first shoe shine using brown shoe cream, the two became more similar. As the other SF user mentioned above, after a couple wears and polish, both shoes gradually have more two tone/patina which also might make contrasting colors more subtle.

Although a left and right vamp may not be cut from the same shell, they should be cut from shells which were tanned together or within same batch which assures same tannage or very close base color. Sometimes you see a color 8 that has a olive hue and some are dark purple which is drastically different as they were tanned in separate batches.

Hope those Whisky pair work out. If you end up keeping em post some photos after some wear!

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LS CXL Chukka on a gloomy day

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Ohhh..now we're sneaking APs into our shoe pics, I see... haha

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Well... I have snuck a few other watches in. I couldn't help it today.
This will probably be my "daily driver" for a while.

I can't blame you, dude. That thing is friggin' unreal. Happy for you.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good Morning, Here are some of my recent acquisitions. AldenXBlackbirtd, Color 8/Black Calf Grain Saddle with Brass Eyelets
:bounce2: These are awesome. If I could find them in my size, I would not hesitate to add a second pair of saddle shoes to my collection!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for when people start inconspicuously sneaking wads of cash in to the background of their shoe selfies.

"Oh, oops, did that accidentally get in to the picture? I forgot that I left it sitting out. Just a little daily spend, no big deal"
wink.gif

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm just waiting for when people start inconspicuously sneaking wads of cash in to the background of their shoe selfies.

"Oh, oops, did that accidentally get in to the picture?  I forgot that I left it sitting out.  Just a little daily spend, no big deal";)

Unfortunately, there is a direct converse relationship between the size of my watch and shoe collection and the size of my wads of cash. :(

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for when people start inconspicuously sneaking wads of cash in to the background of their shoe selfies.

"Oh, oops, did that accidentally get in to the picture? I forgot that I left it sitting out. Just a little daily spend, no big deal"
wink.gif

Unfortunately, there is a direct converse relationship between the size of my watch and shoe collection and the size of my wads of cash.
frown.gif
Its not what you have/make, its what you do with it.
Some of the most wealthy folks I know drive 20+ year old Subarus, Jeeps, or ratty old pickups. (Including a billionaire with a "B" that lives down the road from me in a relatively humble home)

That being said, IMO its a balance.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm just waiting for when people start inconspicuously sneaking wads of cash in to the background of their shoe selfies.

"Oh, oops, did that accidentally get in to the picture?  I forgot that I left it sitting out.  Just a little daily spend, no big deal";)

I find it ironic in a thread where people show off their stuff that some one is getting called out for showing off their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads