1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

As some here has said, there are two stores that are owned by the factory. Alden of Washington D.C. (Typically referred to Alden DC) and the Alden Shop (more commonly referred to as Alden SF here).

Alden DC does not have any web presence at all.
    Alden SF used to be an independently owned retail store and owns and runs the aldenshop.com domain. That is the only way to actually buy shoes from Alden Shoe Company directly online.
    The Alden Factory also runs a website aldenshoe.com that is for information only and does not provide any web sales.

Kathy is the manager at the Alden DC shop and is a great and knowledgeable individual about shoes, Alden and shoe repair. She also is the one to typically manage the stores special orders including shoes and boots made out of Exotic Colors of Shell Cordovan.

Jim is the manager of the Alden SF shop and is of a similar stature to Kathy. Both are great.

Outside of the Alden Shoe Company, there is a whole slew of fantastic independently owned stores that carry Aldens. Several of them are Alden only shops.

See my signature for the FAQ post as it hopefully should answer many of your questions.

-Mike

2. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

It looks very handsome

As I have written above, these are not pics taken by me, but the cadet would be a worthy addition

They seems to fit well as a foundational shoe.

3. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Thank you guys. Will give them a call tomorrow! Appreciate for your help!

Steve

4. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

I'm also 8.5D on Trubalance. I take 8.5D on Van.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Van is tricky - you might take your Barrie/Trubalance size, but then again, you might be better off going down a width for a loafer. I take 8.5D Barrie but 8.5C on the Van LHS -- the tighter fit in the heel prevents slippage. Alden DC helped me out on this a while back.

6. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

PSA: Unipair just posted this in their IG, very lovely makeups.

For the (Whiskey or Tan Calf)? x Cigar Saddle, it's on Leydon last and only 7E and 9.5E are available, act fast if that's your size!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Yes, Van is very tricky. I am 7.5D in Barrie and TB last. However, 7.5D Van last is too sung for me, I end up taking 7.5E in Van last.
    Some people find Van is unwearable for them.

8. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

Excellent points, guys. My 986 took a long time to break in. The forefoot was too narrow at first while the heel too wide on the 8.5D. I added heel pads to help with the heel and after the foot bed conformed to my foot, they're much more comfortable. If you're in a position to try them on, that's really the best way to go.

9. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks guys. It seems that the general consensus is TB sizing is fairly similar to Van sizing. I think Sherman Brothers stocks one of the penny models, so it may be worth going there to get sized up on the Van.

What's the difference between the Unlined Flex Penny Loafer and the Lined version? Is one going to fit any different than the other?

I am a big fan of slip-on shoes and the LHS is the only Alden slip-on shoe that I'd buy, based on looks.

10. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

Only difference should be the lining. Sizing ought to be the same.

11. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Lined or unlined in just the forefront part of the shoe? The sole is different as well, correct?

12. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

One of my finer Alden moments this am. Walk into a small crepe resturant in AA and the (college aged) hostess says "I really like your boots (CXL PCTs), they go great with your jeans (selvedge)." I immediately handed over my wallet as a tip.

This does not bode well for my Alden purchases...

1 person likes this.
  13. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Two characteristics with Van slip-ons:

1) Low instep.
    2) Wide heel cup.

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

FWIW-The BB version is unlined and built on the Copley and is TTS....

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

My Friend, what last are these on please?

Thanks!

17. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Barrie last, buddy. BTW nice recent ravello pickup.

18. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Thank you Sir.

I was just curious as to the model # being 986...?

19. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

It is also built on Van last in Shell BB unlined. Runs ever so slightly tighter than its lined brother in Shell.

20. inn8chiro

inn8chiro Senior member

Alright gotta make a decision. Let go of the Cigar Indy's or the J Crew PCTS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.