• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is cigar shell so much more expensive than #8? Is it simply a supply/demand issue?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
If you are new to the Alden shell game and take an 8 US, why not start with a Ravello full strap loafer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alden-R...8443079?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item20e31032c7

These are available (not my auction) and look to be slight irregulars. But if I were you, I would consider picking them up at a fair price. Cheers.

As I am normally an 8.5US for Edward Green, Carmina, and Church's, do you guys think an 8US in Alden will do just fine? Am I right that Alden's sizing runs large? Thank you.
1f60a.png

As bespoken has said, it depends on the Last. The Aberdeen last, of which the full-strap loafer is on, is Alden's narrowest last. It probably won't be a good fit for you. Although they are beautiful, not point in a beauty that doesn't fit.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
As per a request here a few days back, I wore my Brown CXL Dovers. This was their maiden voyage.

Beginning of the Day:

End of the Day:

Definitely got a little wrinkle going on. Just from looking at them from the onset, I knew the right shoe was going to wrinkle more as it had some lines formed before I even put them on my feet. Super light weight and comfy, which was nice on this 80 degree San Diego day.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Why is cigar shell so much more expensive than #8? Is it simply a supply/demand issue?

Frankly, I can not figure this out myself. Older Cigar Shell used to have a lighter hue to it and showed more of the flaws in the hide, newer Cigar is as dark as #8. Don't think they need perfection to hide flaws there...

Old: Note the lighter finish...

New: Note the dark rich color (ignore the vamp, which is abnormally light)...

-Mike

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sigh

I wish new cigar was the same as old

these admittedly horrible photos of my chukkas are exactly how I wish it was still offered. I'd buy almost every shoe I have in that shade if I could

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aloha folks, I made the pilgrimage to leather soul hawaii today. The store is so very nice and the staff is very helpful. They have 40 - 50 different alden shoes and boots. I was surprised to see only ONE pair of alden shell shoes. One pair of black shell lwbs in one size. I was disappointed not to see more cordovan or alpine grain. They do have an amazing selection of Edward Greene, John lobb, etc...
I left empty handed, but helped my father in law buy his first Aldens, cxl indys.

Tom's #4-black shell saddles (you can drool, but not buy)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hahaha!
Might be too small for me as bespoken said above.

They are most likely too small for me as well. This is the second time they are being listed. I was surprised when they didn't sell last time. $10 lower starting price this time.

Byron Perez

Reaction score

They are most likely too small for me as well. This is the second time they are being listed. I was surprised when they didn't sell last time. $10 lower starting price this time.

Hmmm... A size 7.5UK on Carmina fits me just right. If I'm not mistaken, a 7.5UK is 8.5US, right? If so, this 8US Alden Ravello loafer may indeed be small for me.

Since when was this item listed on eBay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads