• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Nobody does anything similar to foof's longwings.

I've seen cordovan paired up with the flex welt before, but it didn't seem right.

Thank you!
smile.gif

mikesduc

Reaction score
Just a random question. Not looking for a debate on the merits of leather sole vs. commando.
Does anyone else wish Alden of Carmel would offer more boots with a leather sole? I have a pair in the commando but it just doesn't give me that same feeling of "just right" that my shell indies do. If they came with a leather sole I would own a pair of the AF 84 already.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
Just a random question. Not looking for a debate on the merits of leather sole vs. commando.
Does anyone else wish Alden of Carmel would offer more boots with a leather sole? I have a pair in the commando but it just doesn't give me that same feeling of "just right" that my shell indies do. If they came with a leather sole I would own a pair of the AF 84 already.

I've asked him about this before, and his response was that it was his personal preference. You could always have the commando soles removed as well (they're just stuck on top the regular leather soles).

Between Leather Soul's dressier styles, and Carmel's casual models, I think there is a good balance between the two.

mikesduc

Reaction score
I've asked him about this before, and his response was that it was his personal preference. You could always have the commando soles removed as well (they're just stuck on top the regular leather soles).

Between Leather Soul's dressier styles, and Carmel's casual models, I think there is a good balance between the two.

I agree with you in essence but just wish they came the way I want them from the start. I also would like a regular close heel welt on some of his wingtip boots rather than the 360 welt. Just bitching cause I'm bored.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
For the record, very pleased with the sizing on my whiskey LWB. Super comfortable and beautiful shoes. Good advice on the 8.5E.

Wow nice shoes, from where and how many dolla?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been seeing more references to a "Lexington Last" on some Japanese sites lately. Does anyone know if this is another last that Alden's pulled out of their archives, or are the Japanese just giving another last a different name?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Robin we need to collaborate and order up some shoes to sell. First up are the tobacco reverse suede mocs.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Leydon last. I wear an 8.5D in the Barrie last and the heel is snug while the forefoot is very roomy. Would an 8.5D in the Leydon last be too small for me?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
I have a question about the Leydon last. I wear an 8.5D in the Barrie last and the heel is snug while the forefoot is very roomy. Would an 8.5D in the Leydon last be too small for me?
You might want to try a 9D in the Leydon.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking but my 8.5D Barrie's have a lot of room in the front. I'm also a US 8.5D in some BB Peal C&J shoes on the 325 last so wondering if I can fit the 8.5D Leydon....

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing more references to a "Lexington Last" on some Japanese sites lately. Does anyone know if this is another last that Alden's pulled out of their archives, or are the Japanese just giving another last a different name?

It is an old last, long nose, squared off. Not my cup o tea. Japan did a few shoes on it years ago and it didn't really fly.

Originally Posted by lagsun

I would try the 9D, definitely not 8.5D.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
It is an old last, long nose, squared off. Not my cup o tea. Japan did a few shoes on it years ago and it didn't really fly.
Thanks Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads