• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great SW boots, MrDV

Am I alone in preferring shortwings to longwings across the board? Of all the cordovan wingtips I have owned, my three favorites are the Ralph Lauren Marlows, my Brooks Brothers wingtip bals and the Leather Soul black cordovan shortwing bluchers (which I sold due to sizing).

TommyB

Reaction score

cigar sw boots on plaza
!!! Two minutes ago I didn't even know this boot existed and now it's probably one of my top 3 Alden boots. Stunning, MrDV. There's something about that light, too. And the pants. Looking forward to owning this boot one fine day.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

!!!

Two minutes ago I didn't even know this boot existed and now it's probably one of my top 3 Alden boots. Stunning, MrDV. There's something about that light, too.

Looking forward to owning this boot one fine day.

That's what happens on this thread. It's torture.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great SW boots, MrDV

Am I alone in preferring shortwings to longwings across the board? Of all the cordovan wingtips I have owned, my three favorites are the Ralph Lauren Marlows, my Brooks Brothers wingtip bals and the Leather Soul black cordovan shortwing bluchers (which I sold due to sizing).
You are not alone. But I will up the ante by saying I prefer shortwing balmorals. Still have some blucher love, though.

TommyB

Reaction score

That's what happens on this thread. It's torture.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

I know, just daydreaming a little. And I plan to get old, so don't mind waiting 20 years or so. :)

Also trying to convince myself that there's a bigger chance of cigar shoes/boots than whiskey, cigar being a darker color so should be easier to avoid quality issues. What is that you say? Ibsen? Life-lie? Me?

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cigar sw boots on plaza

jvc44

Reaction score
Little help please, are the perf holes in the toes on whiskey long wings darker than all the other percs? Thanks

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great SW boots, MrDV

I'm with you - I have a preference for shortwings, but we'll see if that changes over time.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Little help please, are the perf holes in the toes on whiskey long wings darker than all the other percs? Thanks

Not 100% sure I know what you mean...

jvc44

Reaction score
Tifosi, thanks for responding, I am talking about the large perforations on the toes, the inside of them looks black where are the sides the inside of all perfs is whiskey ?

LittleViti

Reaction score
B.Nelson did these on several of my Aldens. They work well...

Thanks--I look forward to working with Nick at B. Nelson; however, my biggest concern with the metal taps is that they will ruin my wood floors. And replacing wood floors >>> resoling shoes, even Alden's. :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi, thanks for responding, I am talking about the large perforations on the toes, the inside of them looks black where are the sides the inside of all perfs is whiskey ?

Hmmm. Interesting. Now I'm curious to look at mine later. I would imagine it would just be a function of either the cordovan or the dyeing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads