1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it was RTP, half or Mike, no prob. But I think the OP said the seller was kinda new.

2. prez

prez Well-Known Member

Both are 10,5 D, the Aberdeen last has a better fit. I am a 10,5 C tts.

3. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you on this. I have had my Natty Indy's for a touch over a year with decent wear and the threads and soles are separating in the same fashion. I do wear them as boots. I do not baby them, but that goes for other boots with lugged soles. I think its just the quality of the rubber and the stitching not being recessed. They are definitely in need of a resole, but i haven't made any moves on that. As you can see from the pics my tread is still in great shape. Definitely premature and frustrating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Finally! Someone agrees with me and isn't blinded by the Plaza last....haha!

5. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

I've always been a bit skeptical of the Alden commando soles for hard usage. The lugs are just too thin to last a long time which is in stark contrast to the British commando soles which are straight beastly. I walk over 2 miles a day on average and I prefer my Aldens with double leather and a topy for grip/protection.

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Alden Brassvello LWBs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

4 people like this.
  7. breck81

Yeah i have begun to realize that once these soles go(and they are damn close) i am gonna go for a Vibram lug sole. I know that will negate the relationship with Alden and these boots, but that's ok. I have a pair of Redwing Beckman boots with lugged soles. Those get really hard use and those soles have barely any wear showing.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Don, those are very fly. Enjoy them today!

Yes, that lighting really does not do them any justice, but they are great anyways. Enjoy them sir!

Looking great as always DV. Glad to see you not wearing a banana today. I hope that you get many years of good use out of these. Kathy has done you well..

I do not like the lines on the Frans Brass model on the back. It is almost an oxymoron with the plain front and busy side. Just my thoughts. The darker brown is probably more versatile as well, but Snuff is the Ravello of Suede, so I get that. :)

Don, those tankers are superb and you always wear them soo well. Those pants are a great combination with them! You may want to consider tapering them slightly though.

That is rediculous and that is when I would move.

Ben, you are looking very good in your Joseph Boot. Sorry that alike your shoe, you are flying solo. As a frequent traveller, I know what that is like... Enjoy the rest of your trip though!

-Mike

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Mac always disappears this time of year. I am quite sure he mention on here somewhere that he works in public accounting which would make sense considering how often I saw my wife this time of year when she worked in public accounting.

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I am examining the commando soles on my color 8 wingtips from AOC (which I basically use as my dress boots on snowy / icy days like this), and I don't notice the treads wearing down or separation on the sole. These have gotten me through one and a half harsh winter.

The Alden commando sole isn't as durable / rugged as a true Vibram lug sole, but that is because of the low profile of the sole... I think they are meant to be "dress casual" commando soles as opposed to the more rugged styles you see in other boots. I am currently wearing my AoC wingtip boots with a suit - I don't think I could really do that with a thicker sole.

11. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Well-Known Member

I recently posted some photos of my boots with that issue as well. It looks like Alden moved the lugs in away from the edge to give a little sleeker look from the side at the expense of stitching exposure. FWIW I just Shoe Goo'd mine last week and after a few days with many miles on my feet, including some rough wear, they are holding on strong.

12. breck81

Yeah I don't wear chromexcel work boots as "dress" anything, even though the sole is a super low profile dress lug sole. The Jackson winters are harsh and i very often find myself walking on loose gravel surfaces or asphalt or grass/sand/snow. So the wear was bound to happen. Nothing a vibram resole wont fix.

13. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Well-Known Member

The only problem with working a half block from the office. I still have to go in when if it's icy. #8 indy for all the ice on the ground.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sorry Skate, but you do look good! Keep warm my friend!

-Mike

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Alden x Harrison Ltd Ravello LHS with Dark Edge. Fresh off the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  16. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

MW - these look awesome, Are these the J Crew version or the LWBs you were having converted to brass eyelets?

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Saz, these are the original JCrew version. I am still awaiting my new 10.5B Ravello LWBs of which I am going to convert. :)

-Mike

18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

For anyone else on the Alden Madison Whiskey Indy Boot order that was confirmed early June 2014, I just talked to the Madison store really quickly and they informed me that they called Alden on 20 January 2015 to find out the status and was quoted that they are about another 8 weeks away, so we should expect to see them start rolling in at the end of March timeframe.

-Mike

19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. So gorgeous in fact that the same loafers are on my feet today. :nodding:

20. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

wtf, there was a whiskey indy preorder?

anybody here order a 7.5 and wanna sell/trade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.