1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Sir - j crew sales almost never apply to Alden's. In fact I'm pretty sure Alden actively discourages companies from putting their shoes on sale. Every once in a while though j crew lets some Alden's slip through with sale codes. Usually you will hear about it in this thread - how i purchased my color 8 gunboats on sale from j crew. Sometimes a sales rep will also allow a discount code to be applied - usually not though.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I think the toe portion is too rounded to be hampton.

3. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

i really want the jcrew alden shell cordovan indy boots that are currently backordered until march. hope i can get them on sale!!! [​IMG] and if not, ill pull the trigger!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

Like you I recently picked one up too - and considering these are rare like hens teeth, we likely go them from the same place. Mine is natural though...

In any case, one thing I commented on with a member here off line was that we one this thread often talk about "the alden finish" or "dry shell" - but what your shell, and mine show is that the finish, directly from Horween is essentially the same finish on our shoes....

Good stuff indeed....

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

sooooooooo, any more of these avail?

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Discouraged is an understatement.

7. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

Nope, unfortunately - my plan was to get two natural shells in an attempt to get my Grail boots made... I ordered two, initially paid for two, then one went MIA...

So I took the only one, and will play the waiting game for a second

8. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

I just caved and bought a pair. I figure if the Seahawks can't be celebrating right now, I can...

9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

good man! I didn't think I had a dog in the fight until that pick - my heart told me my team just lost. Solidarity in the Pacific Northwest. Happy for Brady though. And the rookie who made the play. Good luck with the saddles!

10. breck81

breck81 Senior member

Congrats on the saddles. Can't wait to see the pics when they arrived. They are one of my favorites. Sorry about the game, but stoked you got the Frans Saddles.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

LoL. I like how you both responded quickly. ;-)

12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Hah - "Frans" & "saddle" give a special ring on my phone!

13. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Yes, I'm referring to the actual cap of the shoe :] thanks so much. I did notice that compared to other brands, the AE cap is shorter, especially on the Park and 5th Ave. I WISH they were all as long as the cap on the Strand. Alas, they're not and I'm moving over from AE to Alden(at least in my head); I was fitted and tried them in store yesterday and think all the shoes in the Hampton fit better and looks better(I wear a 12D in the #5 Last and wear a 12.5D in the Hampton last). I just hope these shoes last longer. $500 is just hard to swallow when I'm used to buying $200-300 seconds.

Can anyone else chime in on whether or not the Alden Cap on the "Straight Tip/Perforated Straight Tip/Medallion Oxford" is longer than those of the AE #5 last shoes? This would be much appreciated.

14. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Posting after a long hiatus. Color 8 PTB
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

And a fine post at that!

990, fantastic.

16. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:10OFF on Need Supply worked for me a few days ago if you like any of their models

17. zbix

zbix Well-Known Member

I went and pulled up J Crew's site in the Way Back machine and it says barrie. The waist of the sole definitely looks like it's tapered in a bit more, but I'm still pretty sure it's on the barrie. Besides the indy boots and tankers, all of the makeups for J Crew are on the barrie. I think it's just easier for them to not have to deal w/ the subtleties of different lasts.

18. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you blue collar.The 990 is a Classic

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Beat me to it but here's the page.
    https://web.archive.org/web/2012102...rewingoodcompany/Alden/PRDOVR~60524/60524.jsp

I've got a pair of the Leather Soul version which is on commando.
    They're one of the looser feeling Barrie lasted shoes I've got.

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

^^^ there is no way this J Crew suede short wingtip is on Barrie. It is even slimmer/narrower than my J Crew perf cap toe boots which are notoriously narrow for Barrie boots. Look at the pics of the shape of the soles. It's no where close to the same shape (even from looking down on the top of the shoe). J Crew has typically listed all of their Alden shoes as Barrie lasted, when in fact they have been mistaken with trubalance, Aberdeen, and Hampton lasted shoes and boots in the past. I think this is yet another case.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.