• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTGuthrie

Reaction score
I will tell you, I love the Strand. To me, it is the best shoe that Allen Edmonds makes. I have both the Walnut Shell Strands and the Alden Semi-Brogue in Black Shell that LeatherSoul did. I personally, prefer this design in the Balmoral style versus the Blutcher, but that is my taste.

If you are looking for a Balmoral in Shell, I would definitely go Allen Edmonds. They offer Brown Shell regularly, or you can do a MTO for free and get it in Black or Burgundy (Color 8) Shell, see the Allen Edmonds MTO Thread. You won't quite get Alden's finish on the Shell, but AE has improved a bit in the last two years. I would normally recommend an Alden, but there is no date in sight to which an Alden Shell Strand will be available. If you are looking at calf, I would go for the Strand also, but would check out the ShoeMart as they have a few interesting Alden Strand-like designs available.

If you are like RTP's blutcher design, then go for an Alden. :)

LeatherSouls Alden Strand:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/11/11/alden-shoes-plaza-semi-brogue-restock-lsw-lsbh/

AE Strand in Walnut Shell Cordovan

Alden Semi-Brogue Balmoral in Black Shell Cordovan on Plaza Last

-Mike
Mike-
Beautiful shots! I really like the Alden in the Semi-Brogue Balmoral Shell Cordovan. Do you know if that is still available? No response from the last post at LeatherSoul as to whether they would be restocked anytime soon.
WT

docalden2013

Reaction score
Doc I can understand your feelings on the cadet, and given the previous pic of your deep LWB bench I see why it doesnt get much air time. I personally wear mine about once a week, and really like them, If I were given the choices between the cadet and the lwb - I would go: 1) #8LWB; 2) Black Cadet and 3) Black LWB. I love the #8 but have never felt much of a draw to the standard black version, although Ive got it on the modified and it has a completely different look with a closed heel.

Thanks for sharing your experience, NYDRH! Your post made me realize that I can sometimes write tactlessly. I didn't mean to disrespect the cadet; after all, it's simplicity and elegance was a strong motivating factor in my impulse buy. I'm glad you're enjoying your pair. Were you the fellow that wore the cadet to his son's high school graduation last summer? If not, it's a clear sign my memory is failing due to overwork.
@Doc, tell me about it...I am supposed to be in lock down and even thinning out what I have. Yet I seem to be pulling the trigger on an all Zug leather EG Galway, the Viberg kudu boot, possibly the Viberg derby and have the Cigar Grant boot due in the next few months. Oops...

Yes, I've considered a SF moratorium, but then again the Aldenheads and viberg people on instagram keep rattling my resolve to be on hiatus. Frankly, i had forgotten about the cigar grant boots coming in. How many more weeks do we have until they allegedly drop?

Looking forward to seeing your Galways and trying not to succumb to your peer pressure on the Viberg kudu roughout scene. FWIW, if guys haven't checked out Viberg's offerings, they make a lovely perforated captoe in various materials. Despite my fear of being banned in this thread, I will go out on the limb and note that the quality rivals (if not exceeds) that of our fine bootmaker from MA.
peepwall[1].gif

I've kept to my commitment and sold five boots in the last month. Trying to decide if I want to sell some more. I definitely need to give the boots I have more wear. I have two boots on order and I know there'll be others that might catch my eye so thinning further seems like it is in order.
You're playing the game properly. More coming in --> yesterday's flavors of the month going out. I still have yet to make an attempt at a first sale here on SF. Maybe I'll start by giving away my AE Larchmonts. Half seriously, anyone here interested in a 9D in burnished tan or dark brown? You pay $0 plus shipping :)

so awesome.
Thank you, kind sir.

That's only because all the rest are rated very highly!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

In all seriousness though, 9751 is a fabulous shoe; a must-have for a LwB collector like DocAlden.
nod%5B1%5D.gif
I agree RTP. I had the red-lined Leffot version in cart numerous times, but could not pull the trigger. Of course, my size is now gone.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Do you guys think us LWB collectors also need tan and dark brown suede?

totalair1

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing your experience, NYDRH! Your post made me realize that I can sometimes write tactlessly. I didn't mean to disrespect the cadet; after all, it's simplicity and elegance was a strong motivating factor in my impulse buy. I'm glad you're enjoying your pair. Were you the fellow that wore the cadet to his son's high school graduation last summer? If not, it's a clear sign my memory is failing due to overwork. 

Yes, I've considered a SF moratorium, but then again the Aldenheads and viberg people on instagram keep rattling my resolve to be on hiatus. Frankly, i had forgotten about the cigar grant boots coming in. How many more weeks do we have until they allegedly drop?

Looking forward to seeing your Galways and trying not to succumb to your peer pressure on the Viberg kudu roughout scene. FWIW, if guys haven't checked out Viberg's offerings, they make a lovely perforated captoe in various materials. Despite my fear of being banned in this thread, I will go out on the limb and note that the quality rivals (if not exceeds) that of our fine bootmaker from MA. 
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

You're playing the game properly. More coming in --> yesterday's flavors of the month going out. I still have yet to make an attempt at a first sale here on SF. Maybe I'll start by giving away my AE Larchmonts. Half seriously, anyone here interested in a 9D in burnished tan or dark brown? You pay $0 plus shipping :)

Thank you, kind sir.

I agree RTP. I had the red-lined Leffot version in cart numerous times, but could not pull the trigger. Of course, my size is now gone. 
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

My son wears a 9D and just getting started in the Alden/AE collecting. Can I call dibs on the Larchmonts?

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
My son wears a 9D and just getting started in the Alden/AE collecting. Can I call dibs on the Larchmonts?

See Ya,
Steve
Sure. Let's pm and get these babies shipped out to you sometime soon. I think the Larchmonts, while no longer my favorites, are a decent gateway into the rabbit hole we've all fallen down this past couple of years. Full disclosure: I don't have the boxes, but may have the bags somewhere.

totalair1

Reaction score

Sure. Let's pm and get these babies shipped out to you sometime soon. I think the Larchmonts, while no longer my favorites, are a decent gateway into the rabbit hole we've all fallen down this past couple of years. Full disclosure: I don't have the boxes, but may have the bags somewhere.

PM sent. My son will be thrilled! He left on his honeymoon tonight. He wore Alden LWB in his wedding last night. I was proud!

No worries about boxes! Awesome for you to do this!

See Ya,
Steve

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Doc, tell me about it...I am supposed to be in lock down and even thinning out what I have. Yet I seem to be pulling the trigger on an all Zug leather EG Galway, the Viberg kudu boot, possibly the Viberg derby and have the Cigar Grant boot due in the next few months. Oops...
damn, that's one hell of a lineup! hard to thin the herd with those acquisitions in the pipeline. can't say i wouldn't do the same.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif
I have the snuff suede LWB and nearly picked up the dark brown suede but decided not to do so. I am a huge fan of Alden's suede LWB; two is better than one!
biggrin.gif

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Mike-
Beautiful shots!  I really like the Alden in the Semi-Brogue Balmoral Shell Cordovan.  Do you know if that is still available?  No response from the last post at LeatherSoul as to whether they would be restocked anytime soon.
WT

WT, I called and asked about them last week when I got my CXL PTBs and they don't have any immediate plans to restock right now. I want the Color 8 version :)

-M

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to pick up shell cordovan version of one of the two??

The strand is a solid calf offering but even in the shell version, the 2145 is a far better shoe, imho.

I realize one is a blucher and the other a bal, so it isn't an exact match in comparison.

I suppose my advice would be to go with the Strand if you're looking for a calf offering, and go with the Alden if your wanting a shell offering. That's what I did!
biggrin.gif

Very elegant model...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM sent. My son will be thrilled! He left on his honeymoon tonight. He wore Alden LWB in his wedding last night. I was proud!

No worries about boxes! Awesome for you to do this!

See Ya,
Steve

Any chance the LWB's your son wore were whiskey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics